“simply THE best in the world”
Review of Babylon Bangkok

Babylon Bangkok
Ranked #86 of 710 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I am writing this from a barracks room on the 6th floor. . The New Years Eve CountdownParty was one of the most outstanding experiences of my gay life. One thousand men dancing in the foam filled courtyard. A Coyote show, naked table dancers, followed by top DJs from Bangkok and Singapore.
This place really is THE best resort for gay men in the world. If you are not gay do NOT come here. If you are still discovering your gayness and nervous about it, then stay at one of the many other excellent hotels nearby and come in by taxi for a day. Explore the place. All of it. You need a sense of adventure but you will have the time of your life.
I am VERY well traveled and I keep coming back to this place. I think it is the work of a genius. The attention to detail in the design. The art,decor,antiques. The gardens, the food , the music, the service, all make me very happy to be here. They even have squirrels in the pool garden.
It is non stop gayness everyday, but in that very gentle unassuming Thai way. It really is the "Land of Smiles"
I find interacting wit the staff and especially the local men you meet to be invariably delightful.
I read some cynical reviews of Babylon on this webpage, but if I met those people I would just invite them to try to relax, try to understand and enjoy Thai culture, and simply celebrate the sheer uninhibited gayness of Babylon. Or leave if they are not capable of that. Thai tolerance is world famous too..
I particularly love the legendary breakfast, cooked by the ladies on the 6th floor , who remember and always greet old customers with a really big smile. Cranky in the morning iy it always starts my day very well. I am looking at the minimalist art in the ceiling of this room.. Exposed concrete and fake plumbing. Some people just dont get it do they? And the shared bathroom where I will go for my shave and shower right now.. non stop cruising.
i bought a babylon bathrobe, luxurious pristine white towelling. And i could and have never worn clothes for a week!. just the robe for breakfast then into the sauna complex in the robe, then into a towel for the rest of the day,evening. So Glorious to be Gay and have a place like this to enjoy the freedom we have.
we are lucky to be alive and have Babylon. and by the way all this for only 1600 baht a day less 10% for a week long booking. It siimply does not get any better!

And PS The taxi drivers may ASK for 500 baht to the airport. but just be gently assertive , smole and say .' turn the meter on please'. And understand that man is probably supporting a huge rural family in agraian up country thailand, and their rice crop was devastated by this years floods. try that for reality.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mui_12
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I had only one short night to spend in Bangkok, so I decided to go all out and stay at Babylon.  The place is hyped as some sort of Disney for gay men.   Full resort, pool, restaurants, bars, sauna and impeccable service.  At 3,000Bhat/night, it's a pricey accommodation for Thailand.

I stayed in one of the Bvlgari rooms.  Its an average size room, with desk, dresser, walk in closet and tiny bathroom. Think cement walls.  The bathroom was so small that the sink is part of the desk in the bedroom area.  There is a safe in the closet, but even my iPad had to go in at an angle.  Forget about getting a laptop in there.  The bed, to my surprise, was only a full size.  Apparently if you want it larger or want a 2nd bed, there is a trundle riser under it that pulls out.   I'd prefer just a real adult bed.

The bedroom leads out to a private terrace, which seems unusable.  I say that because rhe doors can be opened only with a good push and in fact, never fully close.  I couldn't lock them.  Not too safe.  I may have been responsible for letting in the six mosquitos I had to kill after my momentary attempt at going outside, but based upon the can of bug spray I found, I'm not the first.

Kudos on the nice bed linens, but otherwise the whole room was dated and hardly rose to the level of luxury.  Maybe 3.5 stars, at best.

I was looking forward to a good meal, after flying and such.  Not here.  The stir fry entree was barely edible and the soup went almost untouched.  All of the take away food I had while in Thailand, or even Thai food in NY, was better.

The sauna facility was as promised, very nice.  Pretty clean with lots of facilities.  I'd say 4 stars on that.

When i checked in, I asked for two things at the front desk: a wake-up call and a public taxi to the airport.  I cancelled the wake-up call 10 minutes after it was to have happened.  As for the taxi, I thought it odd that the bellman waived off one taxi, favoring a second one.  As we pulled away, the cabbie told me the fare would be 500B not the 300B metered fare I had paid to get there just 12 hours before. He said Babylon told him to charge that price.  Babylon is way off the beaten path and i was in a rush, so i told him to go ahead.  I wonder how much he kicks back to the staff?

Here's the point guys-don't get ripped off by the promises of luxury.  This is a 3 star place with a great sauna.    For the prices they charge here, stay at a true resort, eat at genuinely good restaurants and then just go to the sauna, pool and bars, for fun.  Oh...and don't get ripped off by the cabbies.

• Stayed: November 2011
18  Thank OnwardNYC
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Babylon is beyond expectations in many aspects. Beautiful interiors and very clean rooms for stay.

Positive:
- Location is the moremost positive aspect of babylon. Ideal for fun loving tourists who want to hang around in evenings and relax in sauna in day time.

- Barrack rooms are decent with twin beds and comfortable furnishing. Common washroom is a deal for naughty guests. Garden suite rooms are little higher in price, but gives a delightful experience. Neatly maintained garden is a perfect delight for a romantic tea time.

- Complimentary breakfast in Babylon is simply awesome. Breads, omlets, oats, cereals, fruits, coffee and what not.. Breakfast in babylon is perfect to start the day. Very friendly staff members in all areas in babylon

- Complimentary sauna pass for the guests staying in Babylon is attractive. Any time entry to the sauna is the best. Relax at the sauna and park your pass for further entry on same day is wonderful.

- No gay sauna in the world can beat the lavish ambience and cruising facilities in Babylon. World class gym and well maintained pool are a big plus for fitness freaks.

Areas of improvement:
At times, I noticed the washrooms are broken. Management should keep a check on the flush and showers.

Else, i thoroughly enjoyed the stay in babylon

Room Tip: Try the garden suites, if you can shell out a bit more than your budget
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank roggletoggle
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Beautiful decor and excellent facilities, including the gay sauna, gym, swimming pool, bar, and restaurant. Close to the centre, a five minute taxi or motorbike ride will take you to Soi 2 and 4, where the gay bars and clubs are located.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank TeeGeeLondon
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Very BASIC room. Two single beds, a desk, 2 safes (one didn't work and the other had a keypad that didn't seem to like me, so I never used it). No fridge or water supplied like other hotels. The Aircon worked well.
Communal shower for the floor , which is opposite the laundry, (bit disturbing to come out of the shower and have a female cleaning up the area!)
The only lift of the hotel lift travels to the 6th floor, and you then have to carry your bags to the other floors, via steps.
For the price, better to find a place nearby that would be about half the price, even if you do get a free pass to the Spa.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo