Wendy House
US$ 281
US$ 261
US$ 99
  • Pool
Eastin Hotel Makkasan(Bangkok)(Great Value!)
US$ 70
US$ 97
US$ 64
US$ 59
Agoda.com
All reviewsnational stadiumguest housegreat locationmbk mallno lifthomemade yogurtdouble roomheavy luggagesiam discoveryair consmall fridgefree wifibig shoppingsiam centrenoodlesrooms are cleanbreakfast included
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed here on 3 separate occasions whilst travelling around Thailand in January and I must say it was one of the best places I stayed at in terms of the rooms, price and service.

I stayed in 4 different rooms whilst there and all were clean, with air con, tv, fridge and hairdryer. One of the rooms was newer than the others but all were of a very good standard compared to other similar priced places in Bangkok. The location is great as mentioned by other reviewers - the skytrain station is just round the corner ideal for getting to and from the airport.

Also a great breakfast served with eggs cooked to order, white and brown bread, croissants, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, tea, coffee and juice. Although this may sound pretty standard to many of us this isn't the case at many places in South East Asia - even at more expensive places!

As mentioned by some other reviewers there are some very steep stairs so some people may struggle with these. Also on my first stay the ice shop across the road used a mechanical drill from 4am until 7am each morning! Although the noise level seemed to have been reduced by my second stay.

Must also mention the K1 massage place across the road - not only was it great value - it was extremely professionally run with a lovely relaxing atmosphere - which at their prices can be difficult to find in the area.

By my third stay my booking had to be made through hostelworld, previously I only emailed to make a reservation.

Overall Wendy House is a great place to stay, secure and safe with great staff. You really couldn't ask for more for the price!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The room was small and very basic but easy to find and close to the metro. During the day, the location was central and access to the airport was great. It's not easy to get to the Khao San Road in the evening and taxi's won't take you without charging exorbitant rates so if we came back, we'd probably stay in a side street off KSR.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jn117
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Yes, it's showing this age, but I found my stay here extremely good value, considering the price of only 1,050 baht a night for a small but clean, comfy room with its own bathroom, right smack in the Siam Square area. It's just around 200 meters from the BTS National Stadium station, and a few steps from the Bangkok Art and Culture Center. It's near the end of a lane or Soi called Soi Kasem 1. The area also has other cheap accommodations, and some massage places, and a friendly group of food hawkers. The end of the lane towards the BTS station, puts you almost directly across MBK Mall, which is a definite plus. On the other end, you can easily walk to the Jim Thompson house, or hop on a boat ferry on the khlong Saen Saeb, if you want a quick way to get to the Pratunam area. Arriving at the airport, we just went to the basement and took the Airport Skytrain to Phayathai station. (Don't take the express train, it's more expensive and only stops until Makkasan). From Phayathai, there is a convenient overpass that brings you instantly to the BTS station, where you can take a train to Siam Square station. You change trains here, and alight at National Stadium station.

Back to the guesthouse. The front desk staff is really friendly, and the lady (I think that was Wendy) who seems to own the place greets all the guests and has a genuine smile. They politely answer all your questions. The rate includes a simple but filling breakfast of toast, croissants, cereals and eggs cooked to your liking, along with juice, coffee and fruits. You can opt for a Thai-Chinese breakfast such as friend rice or porridge, but their cook comes in at around 7, so earlier than that, you will have to settle for bread, butter and jam. They have left luggage service, and can also help you hail a cab to go to the airport, for a B20 fee. There are two computers near the breakfast area that you can use, but the Internet access, along with the free wifi they provide you, is extremely slow.

The rooms are small, as expected, but adequate if you just need a place to crash and put your stuff before you spend the rest of the day going around Bangkok. The better rooms are in the right-hand section of the guesthouse, when you go into the guesthouse. The rooms at the left side are a bit darker. I checked out the rooms, and I found it strange that the windows face the hallway. So I asked for a room with a window, and they gave me a lovely corner room on he right-hand side, at the 3rd floor. I was happy when they reserved the room for us when we got back from our trip to Pattaya. As is written by others, the narrow metal staircases are a bit tricky to navigate, especially if you have heavy luggage or have uncooperative joints.

I recommend this place for those who want to be in the thick of the Siam Square shopping action, be near a BTS station, and want to have cheap but good-value accommodation in one of the most exciting cities on Earth.

Room Tip: Take the right-hand side rooms. Ask for room 335. It has windows on 2 sides!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We were looking for a place for our last day of stay in Asia before leaving for the Airport by Skytrain. I guess you cannot get any closer to the BTS and MBK – just what we needed! We booked well in advance without any credit card deposit and everything was as planned. Rooms are really small, but we didn’t miss anything that you can expect from a place in this category and price range. Except for the metal staircase that leads to the rooms… They should do something with it to make it a bit more pleasant.
They have a strange policy regarding left luggage: we wanted to store our excessive luggage 14 days prior to actual check-in (so the bags would wait for us when we return from Cambodia), but were refused to so. We were explained that they only store luggage after you have are already checked-in(!!??). So we ended up storing out luggage in a guesthouse across the street. And I must also mention massage place across the street. Highly Recomended!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2012

This is my second time here, first time was back in 2009. We loved it back in 2009, the rooms were good and the staff was great. So we decided again in 2009, the staff still have the smiley cheery faces but the room is a bit run down. First night we had to suffer in a room that had a cranky air conditioner it was too cold and we decided to ask for a room change. Thank god there was an available room in the same floor (this guest house has no elevator so, if we need to move to another floor with our luggage it is a huge pain in the ...) The next room that we were in we had problems with the toilet's flush system (sigh). Overall it was an ok stay, the rooms and bathrooms are clean. Next visit we plan to stay at Lub d (which is down the road from this hotel).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends