“Friendly folks at a local spot, but pricey”
Review of WTF Bangkok

WTF Bangkok
Ranked #2,923 of 12,316 Restaurants in Bangkok
Neighbourhood: Thong Lor & Ekamai
Description: WTF is bar and art gallery where you can find unique music & environment, art exhibition, interesting people. It is one of a kind in Bangkok. Nothing like this!!!
Reviewed 23 November 2016

We were there on a Tuesday night. Unfortunately, the gallery was closed as they are changing the exhibit at the moment, which was part of the draw for us.

The bartenders and waiters were all local folks who were very friendly. At one point, another (local) customer was encouraging us to sing along to Guns & Roses, followed by David Bowie. It felt like a little neighborhood bar to me, with a good mix of local and expats.

I'd give it a higher rating if the prices were lower or drinks were better... the drinks run 280-350 (and more), but weren't especially nice or strong.

Reviewed 7 August 2016

The nice atmosphere of the bar location compensates the big rats that run around in the street where it is located.

What called my attention is the ostensive unequal treatment given to clients based on their skin colour and presumed cultural/financial background.

The place is overpriced for Thailand. People who go there do not seem to mind in paying a higher price for the beer as I did not mind in paying right after I order until I realized that I was the only client being charged like that.
When I questioned to western waiter why he charged me as I order, he came up with a childish and laughable excuse that the people who have bills open there were friends of the owner, therefore, they deserved to be trusted. Sincerely, I doubt whether he was "passive-agressively" mocking on my intelligence or openly showing me his diversity intolerance issues.

After a while I asked the same waiter a little glass of water. He said they were selling it, and whether I didn't want to pay 50 THB for their bottle (right away, of course) I should go to the 7/11 on the corner and buy one for 7 THB. 6 seconds later, my friend made the same request and received her glass of water from the sweet waiter in front of me as she was charged when she asked for her bill.
By that time, I asked her if she was a friend of the owner.
Of course she was not. Embarrassing.
I also met a Thai friend in the same night that reported me the same waiter who was treating me like that charged him upon order and asked him to drink his beer outside.
After one year in Thailand it was the very first time I received such a shameless unequal treatment like that just based on personal judgement of waiters.

And, what chocked me the most, this is also the very first time I see a local person being treated with such disrespect in a western establishment.

The rats running outside were not so unpleasant as that experience.

Bangkok is full of cool and diversity friendly spots. If you care for these values, take a better look on Trip Advisor you will find them easily. ;)

2  Thank Jana C
Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

The cocktails are good, and their menu is as unique as it is extensive. However, at THB350 a go, you may feel you're being ripped off.

A TripAdvisor Member
2014
Reviewed 20 January 2016 via mobile

We met our friends there for some drinks. It's right beside a Japanese restaurant and there was a Scottish bartender who served us drinks. Choices of drinks were limited so I requested a drink, which he could make. It was good but not enough to blow my mind.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 January 2016 via mobile

We went there after going to the Moon Bar rooftop, as the lonely planet advertised it as the best bar in Bangkok. Different scene and different crowd, nice change if you want to just chill and enjoy quietly your cocktails.
The cocktails were really good and full of imagination, and the prices are perfect
They do not do food anymore, but you can order from the japanese jont next door, and it was pretty good (git the eggplant with sesame seeds which was delicious, and the fried chicken which was good)
Don't go there if you want a thai experience, it seems that only expats hang out there