All reviews sanam luang old wing khao san hotel lobby late at night chinatown
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

1. Rude service, staff not helpful and hostile
2. Pool area dirty, a lot of pigeon waste. Also found pigeons bathing in pool.
3. Our room was located next to the laundry service and the telephone was ringing all night which was very disruptive, reception were not helpful in sorting the problem.
4. WiFi connection is poor and you are logged out as soon as your phone goes to lock screen.
5. Lobby is very busy with your groups, very hostile environment.
6. Sadly can’t comment on the breakfast, as we were up all night with the laundry phone ringing that we overslept and missed it.

On a last note, it was sad to see that the koi carp display is constantly in day light so the fish are unable to have a sleep pattern.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jayne D
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I’m glad my friends and I only decided to stay 2 nights in Bangkok because that is literally the maximum time I could tolerate this hotel. I booked via Airbnb and upon arrival was greeted by the rudest front desk staff I’ve ever encountered. They claimed they couldn’t find my reservation (I booked via Airbnb) and couldn’t have been more obvious that they weren’t happy about having to put in the effort to find it. Once they did they claimed I owed for an extra night because I wasn’t due to check in until the next day. It wasn’t until I showed them my confirmation from Airbnb that they backed off. I booked a 2 bedroom suite for my friends and I, which honestly for the price wasn’t too bad. However, for some reason the designated dirty laundry spot housekeeping had chosen was right next to our door, so every day we were greeted by an enormous pile of dirty towels and linens. The AC and WiFi barely functioned. I would 100% recommend skipping this hotel and just finding one of the literally dozens in the same area within the same price range.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2018

The Royal dump. I thought this was an upscale hotel, but it an old unclean relic. Was greeted by unfriendly receptionist who demanded 500tbh for room key deposit. It was not disclosed up front and we didn't have it, just coming from the airport. They wouldn't take credit card, and finally the accepted our passport as a deposit. Not cooperative at all. The rooms are terrible, the worst of our entire stay. Very dirty. Stains on the bed, couch, walls. Tub not very clean. Smells. Noisy hallway with people and room key alarms going off. No safe! Ancient amenities. No coffee. Nothing good to say about it. Overpriced considering all of the other better options out there. The also charge 10baht per bag to hold it after check-out, and have the worst currency exchange rate offer in all of bangkok.

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deanominator
Reviewed 12 March 2018

I pre-booked the hotel on a travel website. I should be used to the fact that the pictures don't look like the hotel, but this was the worst case of it I've seen. The lobby during the day is very cluttered, with dinning tables (not sure why) and vendors. The room is very small and nothing fancy on the décor. The toilet was very slow and I did have to call to get it unclogged. The exterior of the house could certainly use a coat of paint. We went out in the morning and there were dishes sitting in the hall way. When we came back in the evening, they were still there.

The location is excellent but the hotel could only be a two star at best.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2018

Location is very good, close to most of must see places.
So we stayed for one night. Arrived around midnight. There was four of us (2 couples). 3 ladies on reception. They asked for all 4 passports (not many places do this, but ok). Then instead of making copies, like most places do, 2 ladies started filling in our passport details on some forms. Very slowly. One by one. After around 10 mins they asked for 1000THB key deposit (500 per room). This was not mention on booking website nor on booking voucher, so we were not prepared. We didn't have any more baht. We offered Credit card, we offered Euro etc. They did not accept wither. Offered to their own currency exchange services at rip-off rate of 35THB (everywhere else it was minimum of 38.4THB) or to use ATM (again - this charges you 220THB per withdrawal and your bank will charge you commission). When we pointed out that we are not willing to lose money and that we will are still offering our CC details they offered to take one of our passports. As this was middle of the night one of us left passport in order to get a key and go to bed.
Arrived in the room -bit dated, but suits the name. As we had 2 rooms booked they gave us rooms with the connecting doors inside the room. We had a laugh. Anyway, our friends dropped something on the floor and when they went to pick it up it became obvious that floor was only vacuumed around the furniture. There was dust and rubbish under the bed and table.
Shower in bathroom is lacking a proper showerhead. Showerhead is very small and pressure very high. Not very comfortable.
Wifi worked fine.
Brekkie was buffet with all sorts of options. Even for he fussy eater. So that is a CON.
Then we asked to hold our luggage as we were not due to fly until late night and wanted to see some Bangkok. They charged us 10THB per suitcase. Not a lot of money, but I havent been charged before in any hotel.
Same day we came back to hotel resataurant for lunch. They do buffet option for 260THB per person. Unfortuantely we missed the time (something like 11:00-14:00) and went into actual restaurant. We needed table for four. We asked to sit deeper inside where cosy soft cahairs were but waitress offered table next to entranc and kept insisting on it. We nearly left until she turned around and said OK,OK sit there. There were other people in that part of the restaurant, so it is unclear on what her problem was.
We were given menus and waitress stood there waiting for an order. We told her we needed few minutes as their menu is very big. She went back to bar and another waitress came from bar less than a minutes later. We had to tell her the same thing. Then someone else came in like 2 mins and we just kept her waiting and were slowly ordering one by one, as we got tired of trying to tell them that we need time ot read their menu.
Food was tasty and portions were very large. NOTE prices do not include 10% service charge and 7% tax. So keep that in mind when ordering.
Then we asked reception to order large taxi for later and they said they don't order large taxi as there are plenty of them somewhere around the corner. We didn't find any and spotted very few on the street, which were all occupied. Had to download GRAB application and order one thru there.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends