“Very Disappointing”

Ranked #289 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
Toronto
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My friend and I spent our last night together in Bangkok at this hotel, and we were both horrified. Given the status of the building as an Icon in the city, and the price involved, we were expecting an above average hotel but it would be kind to even refer to the hotel as even average. Everything about the property inside is lackluster. The lobby is not grand, the lobby restaurant is embarrassing, and the rooms were just sad. Absolutely no though was given into designing the hotel at all.

What I also found disturbing was that even as guests of the hotel, we could not enjoy a drink in the bar near the observatory deck without paying a 400 bhat fee each? I understand this practice for just tourists, as hotel ammenities can be bogged down, but paying hotel guests should have this fee waved.

Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere, this was by far the worst experience I had in Thailand.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarah S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Amherst, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I would expect that the hotel housed in one of the most iconic buildings in Bangkok would hold itself to a similarly high standard. On the contrary, it feels like the tiresome operations of the Baiyoke Sky Hotel are more devoted to the building's status as a tourist attraction for all of Bangkok than to the paying guests. The elevators are slow and they stink. They have no ventilation and a paying guest can expect to ride with about 8 people off of the street. The view from our room would be the only reason that I could justify having paid so much for it. Even the view, however, has been disappointing. When we arrived, there were oily smudges all over the inside of the glass. In conclusion, based on a combination of poor customer service, the absurdly expensive Wi-Fi (400 baht for a 24 hour use card) and the hotel's poor location relative to anything that is not a mall, I would recommend that people book another hotel in Bangkok.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Most people just like us stay in this hotel because of its proximity to the Pratunam market and the Platinum Mall.

If you intend to do a lot of shopping in Bangkok ,this is the best hotel to stay in. Accomodation is average for a 3 star hotel but you wont have a problem with your choice of restaurants and eating places since its just infront of the Pratunam market.

Room Tip: Most hotel guests are those doing business in Pratunam area so you would see a lot of luggages for t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank betty l
Singapore
Reviewed 2 June 2012

The hotel is a 8mins walk from Ratchaprarop railway station and the lobby is located on the 18th flr. Every guest has to take 2 lifts to get to their room by changing lift on the 18th flr. We didn’t encounter the long waiting time other reviewers were talking about. It could be due to us staying during the off-peak season. Check in was a breeze and so was the check out.

We were given a room on the 41st flr and the room was huge with an excellent view! There is a separate living area with sofas and coffee table. The bathroom is also huge with a bathtub and a separate shower room in it. The location of the hotel is great. There is a street market right below the hotel that operates in the morning and night. Platinum mall is just a street away but it will take a 10mins walk through the busy crowded street. The hotel provides free hourly shuttle service to MBK.

The observatory deck on the 77th flr has many decorations for photo taking and the view from the open concept revolving observatory deck on the 84th flr was breath taking. There is also a small swimming pool, nice gym and massage center on the 20th flr. However, the hotel is in need of a renovation as it is getting old and tired looking. Another drawback is that wireless is chargeable at a very steep price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lalala0404
South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We were dropped off at the hotel at around 1:30AM. We'd come straight from the airport and the taxi trip itself had been terrifying. The area where the taxi stopped was dark and it was raining. There were around 30 people just standing on the steps to the building. My partner was repeatedly asked if he wanted to "go get some girls" as we walked through them. I felt unsettled and, rightly or wrongly, I felt a little unsafe.

There always seemed to be people on the front steps. In daylight hours, they'd repeatedly ask (shout) about taxi rides and try to get us to go to other markets. This became frustrating as my partner smoked and we'd be outside fairly often. "Taxi! Taxi? You want taxi? Market?"... No, I do not want a taxi.

I knew the hotel foyer was on the 18th floor, but I thought there might have been a sign telling us to use the lift or at least indicating that we were in the right place. Sure, it's a big building and there's a sign on the outside of it, but it wasn't lit up and I couldn't see it. I didn't know what I was walking in to.

The staff seemed friendly and polite, but they had trouble understanding us. We spoke English with an Australin accent. We had difficulty making ourselves understood by many of the service staff.

The elevators were awkward. To get to our room from the ground, we had to take two different elevators. To get to the roof top, we had to take another 3 or was it 4? The elevator process was too complicated and there were always queues. If you were polite and stood back, you'd wait for two or three trips to pass as everyone else pushed infront. I've never seen anything quite like it. I hate to think what would have happened if there'd been an emergency and the building had to be evacuated.

As you go higher in the building, the elevators get smaller. We witnessed two young couples step into an elevator, only to have an alarm sound. One couple had to get off. It seemed the four young adults weighed too much for the elevator. The couple were clearly embarrassed by this.

Our room smelt stale, even though we had the air conditioner on.

We could hear the people in the rooms next door through the walls. We could hear people in the corridor as well. At times, it seemed so loud that it was like they were in the room with us. The mattresses were hard and, with the noise and the beds as they were, I barely slept during our stay.

The room did not match the picture we saw on the hotel's website. Our room had eclectic, out dated and old fashioned furniture. There was even a piece of furtniture that we still don't understand. Was it a letter rack, a lectern, an elaborate shoe stand - I don't know, but it proudly stood in the corner of the room. There was actually a lot of empty space in the room, too. It was a very large, strangely shaped, strangely furnished, mostly empty room.

We booked a room at the top of the hotel (in the highest and most expensive section) so we'd have a great view. That was not to be. While we had huge windows, they were completely covered with advertising. We could look out through the small holes in the advertising, but it was hard to focus on anything and this hurt my eyes. It was impossible to take photos through this.

The window situation was made worse by the fact that we had structural beams in our room. They formed the shape of a "V", with the two beams coming together in the centre of our window and the higher portions spreading out along the full expanse of window. The beams were around 40cm by 40cm and ran floor to ceiling across the windows. The beams were covered in padded, white canvas, which was held in place by white rope lacing. It was ugly. Our windows ran the full length of the room, perhaps 9 or 10 metres, and would have been very impressive if it weren't for the giant "V" shape beams and the advertising. We could look out through the centre of the V, but really had to climb into it to do this. The alternative was to go to the corner of the rooms and look out the window there. In the corners, still ruined by advertising, the window view was further obsured by the curtain, which bunched up there when it was drawn back, and the furniture which was placed in/across the corners.

There were cockroaches in the cupboards and running around on the floor of the room. This wasn't pleasing.

The sky lounge seemed closed whenever we went through it. Despte this, they served us a free drink each, which was one of the highlights of the hotel experience for me. There was no choice of what drink we received though and my partner thought the drink was far too sweet for his tastes. One of the elevators opened up in an area that seemed to be behind the bar, which was a bit strange and awkward. The furniture in the bar was threadbare and dirty. The paint was peeling. It had a ufo/space theme, complete with a human sized alien mannequin sitting on a chair.

We ate one evening meal at the buffet restaurant. It seemed that they were surprised that hotel guests wanted to eat there. Again, we had trouble being understood. I asked questions about what was contained in some of the dishes, but language comprehension caused difficulties. I am allergic to shellfish and should have been more careful. The food tasted delicious, but the rest of the night was terrible due to misunderstanding. I don't blame the hotel for this, but it is something that other travellers can learn from. I know I am certainly more cautious now.

The breakfast buffet was good. The coffee was good, but it came in small cups and was seldomly served. The buffet contained a good selection of foods and all were tasty.

The buffet is close to the top of the building and would have had an amazing view. Unfortunately, the windows up there were absolutely filthy. The dirty windows continued onto the museum level of the hotel, where tourists were directed to look out at the various points of interest around the city. I wish the windows had been clean.

I did find it interesting (perhaps a little strange) that Asian people were directed to one section of the restaurant and non-Asians seemed to be directed to a different section. The buffet covered the entire floor of the hotel, but there were different foods in the Asian and non-Asian sections. We could easily walk to that section to try the food that was there if we wanted to. It may have been done for our comfort or even based on the level of language proficiency amongst staff. I do not know the reason behind this and didn't enquire about it. It just struck me as interesting that we were instantly being judged on what food we'd eat and, therefore, what section we should sit in, by how we looked. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Outside of the hotel, the immediate surrounds were dirty, smelly and crowded. We didn't explore more than a block in each direction on foot. We didn't like what we saw. We were constantly shouted at ("Taxi!", "Buy!") and I felt like we were being stared at. I didn't like it and, again, whether it's right or wrong, I felt unsafe.

The revolving roof top took a while to get to through the elevators, was a bit squeaky and the signage was tired, but I thought it was the best part of the hotel. At night, it was lit up by a pretty light show and I enjoyed being above the clouds. The view was impressive. This was the only place other than the foyer that I found a view that wasn't ruined by dirty windows, beams or advertising.

The cost was cheap when compared to hotels at home, but I don't think we had a great deal. I don't think we got value for money. We chose the room because of the view and didn't get one. We wanted comfort and didn't get it. I wanted to relax and barely slept.

On the last day, we packed up and went to the airport as early as we could. We decided it was better to spend the entire day waiting for a plane in the clean airport, than to spend any more time at the hotel or in the immediate surrounds of the hotel.

Good points about the hotel:
- the view from the revolving sky deck is impressive
- breakfast buffet was good
- dinner buffet was good, but learn from my mistake and be careful if you have allergies!
- the free fruit cocktail was ok, if you like sweet drinks
- there's a shop in the foyer that sells drinks, snacks and small souvineers
- you will never be without a taxi if you need one
- if you want markets (particularly tshirt markets), then you are surrounded by them at this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room without advertising on the windows and, if possible, without the beams in the rooms...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple