“Excellent hotel in the heart of Bangkok”

The Sukhothai Bangkok
Ranked #33 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This was another excellent experiecne stay at The Sukhothai Bangkok since my last stay from 4 years ago. Since I am a platinum mumber of Starwood hotels group, my first choice for the past 4 years was always a Starwood hotel while I am visit Bangkok. I decided to stay at The Sukhothai Bangkok for my last visit to Bangkok in June because I have heard a lot positive feedbacks from my friends about this hotel.

Was arrived from an overnight flight and arrived The Sukhothai Bangkok at 6am, the front desk duty manger was very helpful. Welcome me with a warm smile and prepared an excellent room right after I arrived at The Sukhothai Bangkok, was a high touch and really appreciated.

This was a business trip and I do not speak Thai language, I requested a personalized service from the hotel to help me to prepared the materials that I needed for my business meeting for the next day. Mr. Dome, from the concierge desk was the person who helped me a lot with a lot of patiences and smiles. Deeply Appreciated for the personalized service that provided from Mr. Dome.

The restaurants, especially the Thai cusine was just excellent!!! My favorite one in Bangkok!!! This is definitely the most luxurious hotel that I like around the world. The Sukhothai Bangkok is a good choice no matter if you are in business or in vacation, the best choice in Bangkok with a lot of warms and smiles.

I will definitely back to this hotel for my next visit to Bangkok. Thank you very much for the people who are working in here, thank you.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback, it’s our pleasure to strive to provide the best of service to all our guests. We are especially pleased to hear that you had a lovely stay with us and that Mr. Dome was able to assist you on the preparation of your business meeting, we will certainly pass your comments along and share this amongst our Staff. Your compliments regarding our Thai restaurant Celadon is appreciated, on your next trip to Bangkok we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

I returned to the Sukhothai this June (2012) for the first time since 1998. I used to be a frequent guest at this hotel in the 1990s and was curious to see whether the hotel had maintained its excellent standards over time. To my pleasure, I found that, if anything, the Sukhothai has become even better. Years ago, the Sukhothai was considered somewhat inconvenient, but now the hotel is located centrally and within a 5-minute walk to a SkyTrain station. The rooms have been maintained incredibly well. They are immaculate, elegant, and beautifully appointed. The grounds are spectacular - the landscaping and architectural details really make this hotel a standout. Whoever designed it did an impressive job of tastefully incorporating Thai elements in a stylishly minimalist and modern way. Moreover, the staff does an amazing job of maintaining the hotel with an acute attention to detail. Unlike other hotels in Bangkok that have a more ostentatious and standard business-like feel, the Sukhothai is more special and unique. One has access to the same amenities, but the the atmosphere is far more charming, cozy, and tasteful. In particular, I cannot say enough about the quality of service - room service is very prompt, the cleaning staff does an impeccable job, and the front desk was exceptionally helpful. I experienced an unfortunate incident that involved a fraudulent purchase at a tourist trap jewelry shop (beware of such scams). Khun Somphol, the front office manager, took matters into his own hands. He and his staff contacted the shop and negotiated a full refund for me, which apparently is virtually unheard of (you can read tons of lamentations made by other victims on the internet where they were unable to collect a penny back. Make sure you make purchases with a credit card). Khun Somphol sent a security escort with me to the shop, and I collected a full refund on the spot. I highly doubt that I would have had such a happy end to this unfortunate incident if it hadn't been for the efforts of the Sukhothai's staff. They were so kind and helpful, I can't thank them enough. In short, I would rate this the best hotel in Bangkok, and it certainly holds its own against other hotels with the "Leading Hotels of the World" designation as well as other 5-star establishments that I've stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Lan N

Dear Guest,

On behalf of The Sukhothai team we are always glad to welcome returning guests. We’re especially pleased that we are still able to meet the same standards as you once experienced long ago. Delighted that you took a liking to our property and your acknowledgments on our service is also very much appreciated, however it is saddening to learn of your unfortunate incident and it’s a relief that with the aid of Khun Somphol the situation is sorted. We thank you once again for this review and for your kind compliments.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

Traveled the world and NOTHING beats this hotel. Why? The people and the energy. There ARE more luxurious hotels (and of course elsewhere) in Bangkok but the Sukhothai has everything you need- fantastic beds, beautiful huge bathrooms, wonderfully authentic designed rooms. But the service is so far and beyond- they would take the shirt of their back for you. Sweet, informed, efficient staff help you navigate through business needs, finding thai silk in the garment district, the best roadside noodle soup, everything! And they seem to attract a gracious clientele instead of the entitled oil barons that frequent the Peninsula/Four Seasons/Oriental. The Room service is one of the best meals I have had in my life- their Sunday brunch is obnoxious and lavish, but a must because its such a legit spread. Location feels safe and walkable. And the minute you walk in you feel like you are home.

Room Tip: we always get the suite overlooking the pool area with the patio
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taruccia

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our accommodation and the authentic designs throughout the property. We highly appreciate your acknowledgments on our service and meals from the room service. Delighted you are able to feel at home whilst staying with us. In the near future we hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed here on four different occasions as we travelled throughout Thailand. What an amazing hotel to find in the heart of the city. The quiet setting with lovely water, gardens and fine decor throughout the two buildings was a real treat. The rooms were huge, upscale and very luxurious. We loved the beds, the free wifi, the truffles, the coffee machine and large desk to work at.

The personalized service you receive upon arrival is impressive - from the door staff to the front desk. Fantastic. We enjoyed the bar lounge on several occassions including the "bundled laundry and drinks package" that they don't promote! How funny - you can buy a package that gives you dry cleaning and unlimited drinks in the bar for a two hour period....hmmm, fun for one night!

The restaurants and room service were all very good. We particularly enjoyed our breakfasts every morning - very elegant with a large variety to choose from. The wonton soup for breakfast became a great egg substitute and was very tasty! Also nearby at the Banyan Tree (Vertigo) was a great outdoor roof top steak restaurant on the 62nd floor overlooking the city - another treat for those wanting to have a change from Asian food.

This hotel did a great job of holding our luggage while we toured for a couple of days, accepted courier packages on our behalf, and had dry cleaning done in our absence so we had all clean clothes upon our return. It really was full service and exceeded the five star service we were expecting - and we travel frequently.

One small comment - the lighting in the bathroom for shaving and putting on makeup is very poor - casts a lot of shadows. They could put a lit magnified mirror by one of the sinks to fix that problem.

Room Tip: There are two buildings that comprise the hotel - one over by the pool and the other in the main lob...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OttawaDebbie
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of The Sukhothai Bangkok, thank you for taking your time to write us a review. Lovely to hear that you enjoyed our in-room amenities as well as our restaurants especially the breakfast buffet at Colonnade. We are especially glad to learn that our staff provided service that exceeded your expectations, your comment regarding the lighting the bathroom is well noted. We hope to see you again at The Sukhothai Bangkok in the near future.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

An amazing retreat from the craziness of Bangkok. Rooms are beautifully decorated in traditional and modern Thai fabrics, art and furniture. A perfect mix of old and new. The bed is stupidly comfortable - one of the best beds in any hotel I have ever stayed in.

Hotel restaurant is expensive for Bangkok, but serves interesting and different Thai dishes - well worth a visit.

Breakfast is out of this world.

Service is as you expect - exceptional.

Have stayed in dozens of Bangkok hotels - including the Peninsula, Mandarin and Shangri-La ... This is by far the best!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it’s a pleasure to know that you found our beds to be very comfortable and that you were impressed with the Breakfast Buffet. We highly appreciate your acknowledgements in regards to our service, we hope that on your next trip to Bangkok we would have the chance to welcome you again.