“So close - check out ur map and walk it!!”
Review of Khaosan Baan Thai

Khaosan Baan Thai
Ranked #257 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 11 April 2012

One of the cutest places I've stayed at. Never have I had service like this. No wonder they have won awards. The quaint foyer and dining area is set out for travelers to meet, eat, relax or use free Internet. Free breakfast is served before you sit down!!! My room was tiny and was not big enough for 2 people - my only complaint. Maybe I was given this room as I am a solo traveller. First time using share bathroom - so clean and no waiting even tho place was booked out. Save disappointment and pre-book. I saw a few disappointed travellers turned away (with a list of suggestions of where to go). Owner asked what my travel plans were as I was eating breakfast. When I had finished, he had a list of travel options and a map of where to go and also have some useful advice. What a remarkable place :)

• Stayed: April 2012
7  Thank Lyn,Australia
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Khaosan Baan Thai

Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I (40 yrs old) stayed here in early April and loved it. Very clean, the aircon room was a haven from the heat, the firm clean mattresses were magical after long flights and walks. The rooms were spotless as were the communal bathrooms.

The manager is exceptionally friendly and she has a full list of bus and train timetables etc available. She epitomises the friendly Thai land of smiles. She's an absolute honey. Its a 5 minute walk to the river taxi and about a B50 tuk-tuk to Khaosan Road. There is free internet and wifi for guests.

The previous reviews sum up the style perfectly: a small basic intimate guesthouse which definitely isn't a hotel (no pool, bedroom TV etc) but if you aren't a prima donna and simply require a good clean comfortable spot for a few nights, this place is perfect.

Highly recommended. We paid B700 per night for the double room with aircon and breakfast.

Room Tip: The double room with aircon at the top of the stairs is the bomb. Big, spacious and oh so fresh...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Philip B
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of our trip around Southeast Asia and what a great start it was. We paid for the aircon room, which was well worth it in the February heat.
The price included free wi-fi and breakfast (with happy faces baked on to the toast!). So all up, great value. The bathrooms are shared, but were always clean and as it is not a large place, there are only a small number of guests sharing them.

The staff were exceptionally helpful, we were sent to a bus stop around the corner with written directions in English and Thai to ensure that we successfully arrived at Chatuchak market with minimal effort. They were friendly and welcoming and knowledgeable about local sights and activities.

Khaosan Baan Thai is a little hard to find if you don't know what you are looking for, we arrived by Tuktuk (From the nearest Skytrain station) and the driver had to ask around a bit once we got to Samsen Soi 3, it is tucked behind another guest house. Although it turns out that there are plenty of signs if you are looking for them!

The location is great, down a quiet street, but still close to plenty of interesting destinations. It is within walking distance of (among other things) the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Khaosan Road, and several river taxi stops, so that you can quickly travel up and down the river, go on a canal tour or make your way across the river to Wat Arun.

The only downside about the location is that the area is not linked to the Skytrain, so you will have to take another form of transport to link to Bangkok's efficient Skytrain/underground train system if you want to go further afield.

When we were there it was quiet at night and we had a great night's sleep, but the rooms are not very soundproof, so if you were unlucky enough to have noisy neighbours, you may not sleep quite as well.

All up, a friendly, welcoming and relaxing place to stay, thanks guys!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CraftyBadger
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Please ,I ll love to book it but there is no link!!!how should I do?
Thanks!!x

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Melinda1985
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed here with one other traveller about 4 times during my time travelling south east asia last year, and I loved it every time. Don't get me wrong, it's not a 5* hotel and not the usual place I stay in but for the price and the location it was wonderful. The staff are amazing, so friendly and helpful and will go completely out of their way for you. The rooms are basic but very clean, and the bathrooms are shared (first time in my life I've ever done this!) but they were always spotless. There was no aircon in the standard rooms but the fans were powerful enough, on one trip we stayed in the big aircon room which was a treat. Breakfast is nice, bottled water is provided in the rooms etc. We booked our trips with the hotel as well as after travelling around Bangkok pricing things up, our hotel offered the best price and the best advice, and we trusted them completely. They also booked our train tickets and told us how to get about, where to go. All in all, it was my home away from home!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are the same unless you want to pay more for air con, sometimes it's worth it!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends