“I was disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
london
“I was disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I was very excited about staying here given the hundreds of rave reviews but left feeling like the experience wasn't at all one a #1 rating on Tripadvisor should offer. Here's what disappointed me:

- The "green wall" next to the room door is nothing special. It's behind a glass wall that is lit at certain hours, so nature is safely kept away from you, and it's just 4 rows of small potted plants along a wall... I really couldn't see what the excitement was all about.

- Despite the hotel branding itself as a green boutique hotel, I didn't get that feel at all. Staff were somewhere between indifferent and very casual; it's actually a big ugly concrete block that faces other big ugly concrete blocks on all sides on a potholed street; reception is on the 2nd floor (not the ground floor) so when you arrive with your luggage, you need to walk into the restaurant to be pointed towards a lift (not quite an amazing welcome); the corridors are what you'd expect to find in a concrete block (ie more concrete).

- The pool is on the side of the building, on the 8th floor, with views of big ugly concrete buildings (presumably, guests of the 4 Seasons enjoy watching people swim). When we went one afternoon, there was an event by the pool with lots of people in fancy clothes, a photographer and a microphone and I did feel like I was at the zoo (but inside the cage) while everybody sipped wine and looked at me... I didn't stay very long.

- The food at the French restaurant downstairs is just ok but incredibly expensive and not really worth bothering with at all.

- Whenever we enquired about tourist recommendations, the advice was absolutely not tailored to the guests' (our) taste: they have a print-out of several standard tours, and that's all they will sell. For example, I'm grateful tripadvisor helped me avoid the floating market as that would have been a very expensive and frustrating day-trip. Restaurant recommendations were equally disheartening.

- We were there during Chinese New Year and enquired if there would be anything special going on anywhere, but got absolutely no help there ("maybe if you go to Chinatown you can check if there is anything")

Things I liked:

- The rooms are very big and very nice with some very interesting books you can read. The bedroom part itself is a bit walled in though, in order to make the living room bigger.

- Breakfast was terrific, varied, beautifully presented, tasty.

- Location is between the St Regis and the Four Seasons, but more importantly it's next to the Skytrain. If you're in a cab, don't bother saying "Hansar" or even showing the hotel card with a map on it: just say "Four Seasons."

Room Tip: Don't bother with the rooms that have a "green wall" - it really doesn't add anyth...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
235 Thank jesuit123
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
foster city, Californa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

New hotel designed to be green with spacious rooms, great buffet breakfast, and good location

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I went with my wife to Bangkok from Singapore to visit some friends. We would usually stay with them but as they have a young baby-boy now we took a hotel - not too far from their home.
The service in the Hansar was great and the everybody very friendly. They breakfast is nice and it is possible that friends come around for brunch - but they have to pay.
The bathroom in the suits are great and you. Everything made of glass and you have a nice bath-tap in the middle of the room.
Sorrily the bar on first floor closes around 12am. I never went to the roof top.
If you like massages the service in the hotel is great, but make reservation.

Room Tip: Take the suite with view to the golf club!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

As a frequent traveler to Bangkok, there are many 5 star Hotels to choose from.
The Hansar is a touch of quiet luxury in a busy city.

Personal service, beautiful rooms, great amenities the Hansar most certainly stands out as a great hotel.

The rooms, Edge Suite is excellent, 2 rooms, beautiful bathrooms with all the amenities you could ask for, great bed. 2 Flat Screen TV’s .The rooms are quiet.

Spending 9 Nights in the Hotel you tend to get picky at small things, this was not the case with the Hansar. The staff go out of their way to make you feel at home.

Eve Restaurant, the food and service are first class and compliments the Hotel.

The Spa is relaxing and the professional.

Visiting Bangkok for 1 day or 1 week, the Hansar is by far my first choice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TBGH
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

So I was visiting family during the holidays and my parents wanted to take a day trip. So I decided to spoil myself by staying here for one night. I was really lazy and just stayed here for the day. I literally didn't leave the facility since I didn't have to.

So I checked in the afternoon and had to wait for the receptionist since there was a couple checking in ahead of me. But the process was nice and easy. After getting settled, I went to downstairs for an afternoon snack at Boca. Their Kao Soy was really good and I enjoyed the curry noodle soup. Then I proceeded to head upstairs to Luxsa where I got a oil massage. The service was nice and the masseuse made sure I was comfortable and enjoyed all two hours of relaxing.

For dinner I went to Eve and had their Wagyu short rib dish (can't fully remember what it was called). But I really enjoyed it, I wouldn't eat this every day, but it had this rich and delicious taste that I wouldn't mind going back and ordering it again. The service and ambiance was relaxing and comfortable, especially since I was eating by myself. Proceeded to go back to my room and take it easy. I am a night owl and got hungry after doing some work in my room so I ordered some room service. It came at a fashionable time and hit the spot without feeling heavy like eating American fast food. Proceeded to wake up around 9:30pm and have a nice breakfast at Eve. Drank some tea at Boca while reading the news and a book. Then checked out around 2pm.

Sorry for the long review, but I really enjoyed staying here. Even if it was for two days. Worth the money and I always tell my friends to check this place out to stay. Your are in the city, but you don't feel like it.

The only con was that my room was near the service elevator and I could hear it every once and awhile.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo