See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Himalaya residence is well priced for Bangkok. It's in a good spot, not too far out but still near stuff and a small walk away from the sky train. The room's are okay nothing amazing but nice and clean. The real winning part for this place is the staff, they are all lovely. The service was amazing. It's why we will come back our next trip. It also has a great restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rochele d
Reviewed 21 February 2012

A very welcoming hotel, very basic rooms although with an Nepalese style atmospheric restaurant. I booked in twice so saw two different rooms. One was very basic but a phone and good AC, clean but had a hostel style to it, the other was a bit better but still basic.
Welcoming staff means a lot !!

Room Tip: Book well in advance, this place is cheap and often booked up.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank spratjack
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This is a super place primarily due to the staff and owner. Great people and extremely helpful. Which is quite unlike what you will expect throughout the city of Bangkok. It is not an upmarket hotel, but a very very good Hostel. The rooms are very big, the beds the same queen size. Ensuite shower toilet average quality for Bangkok. But unlike some hotels these facilities were clean. Room comes with TV, large Fridge two bottle of complimentary water per day. And throughout the building free wifi.

The restaurant is of top of the scale quality both for the food and for the price, He doesnt charge over the top for the tourist by means of beer and food. good value to be gotten here.

The man in charge is a total gent. so helpful and nice. His night security guard the same. always with a large helpful smile. The two ladies working during the day were really nice to us, my brother and I. so overall i would go for this hotel again over another hotel in bangkok, i have tried a couple. its value for money we got per night for around 20 euro.

Room Tip: ask for one with a balcany
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank garrysimpson
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I was a bit leery when ‘bookings.com congratulated me on booking the ‘cheapest room’ at the place but I went anyway. I arrived a bit late and ordered food that I had never had before – I loved it! Try the Prince Henry curried chicken dish! Even the vegetables were strange to me I they were great. The restaurant sold me on the place.
My room was large and comfortable (with the ‘mosquito chaser’). The TV was large but received only 12 channels – I was stuck with the Al Jeerzera network but I really wasn’t there to watch television. The WiFi worked just fine.
The room itself was clean but even though I hung out the “Please clean the room sign.”. the next day – no one had cleaned it by the time I returned later in the evening. The bathroom was adequately large but… as typical with Thai bathrooms - not clean. Toothpaste splatter on the mirror and the tub hadn’t been cleaned in ages. In addition, the shower handle addition was mounted too low for anyone over four feet high and the hot / cold adjustment wouldn’t stay in one place.

The place is a bit tucked away (off the beaten path) but transportation was available.

All-in-all, for the off-season value, I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: This is a "Residence" hotel, I don't think that there are that many transit rooms available - book and look first.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Balls_B
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We booked a room which didnt exist, so we lost our money. Instead we got an overpriced oversized room that smelled fishy in the bathroom, with tv that you could hardly see anything on, for 900 baht because it was Off season (29 dollars) a night. It includes breakfast but ONLY BEFORE 9 o clock. - Dont bother - the breakfast sucks. The bread is soft although "toasted", the jam bad, small portion and 2 small pieces of melon and bad coffee. Not worth it.

Its a 10 minute (LONG and sweaty walk) to get to sukhumvit main road. Believe me its not something you look forward to when waking up. There are motorcycle-taxis closeby that you can take for 30 baht (1 dollar) if its a short trip like to the mainroad.

The staff didnt know any english and instantly thought that I was "Tommy" that had booked a room, although I am a girl. I tried to ask several people to make a LOCAL phonecall, trying to show with my hand, and pointing at their phone, but they didnt know what I meant, and started talking about passportnumbers instead.. And so on, you can imagine. They dont know any english what so ever, unless you gesture everything. The manager knows good english and is very helpful, but he is not always at the office, and it seems redundant to ask the head for simple things.

The day after we changed to a smaller room with kingsizebed for 600 baht (= ca 19 dollars, we got a better price since we bargained and it was off season) - in the seperate building ( = MUCH BETTER.) So make sure you get a room in the seperate building where they also have the designschool (very modern). The room we got didnt have a toiletdoor, only a curtain. So not for the shy one's..

But it didnt stop there: The bed broke. The handwash broke. The water broke. The fan broke. The wifi was most of the time not good... AND they started renovating outside our door.

Cleaning is very good, they come every day and try to get the room cleaned. Although we always slept late. Washing clothes is available, but pricy.

The food is mainly Nepal cuisine, and very bad. I tried the noodles, no taste at all, and it felt like i was chewing dough. The dessert, icecream, was sprinkled with jellycandy and sprinkles. (We asked for coffee flavour and got chocolate flavour).

Nearest trainstation is Prom Phong, 20 min walk.

All and all, this is not a place I recommend, as me and my partner got dissapointed time after time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple