All reviewsshared bathroomfan roomquiet streetsamsen roadkoh san roadair conyogurtnice breakfastthe riverwithin walking distancegrand palacequiet at nightstayed here for nightsnightlifepierskytrain
Reviewed 12 February 2012

A great place to stay in Bangkok. Walking distance to the pier and to many downtown tourist attraction. The owners and staff are very friendly and helpful. We will stay there again on our next trip to Bangkok.

1  Thank ullrich
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed for three nights at this small guesthouse last January.
What we liked:
- Very helpful and friendly staff
- Close to Khao San Rd but not right on it
What we didn´t like:
- Rooms too small for the price
- Hot and not very well ventilated rooms
- One day they didn't make the beds and the room was poorly cleaned even though we left early
- Internet wi-fi signal is poor in the room so you have to go to common areas to get internet

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here and need good internet signal and space ask for a different room from Banana
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We were pleasantly suprised when we arrived after booking a fan room with shared bathroom. The room was cool enough and had a decent wifi connection. For a little extra we moved to an air con room with TV and again this was clean and comfortable. When it came to extending our stay there was only a superior room left which was way out of our price range. When the owner realised there would be little chance of renting it to anyone else she reduced the rate and we were thankful as it would not have been worth the original price she was asking, it was extortionate for a guesthouse room. Breakfast is small but ok with quick service. Like the review before we also were caught out with high charge for the use of the telephone despite only being on it for a couple of minutes. We also wanted to use a computer to upload some of our pictures but it would not work and the internet was really slow yet we still had to pay. The staff were friendly enough when we first arrived, however on some days throughout our stay they were less friendly than others which we found really strange and caused a slight atmosphere. I would probably stay here again as the rooms are clean and the location is good but just watch out for those added extras and the odd atmosphere!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a difficult review to write because in many ways our stay at Sam Sen Sam was enjoyable. The location is great, the people are friendly, the guesthouse is clean and safe, and there's breakfast, albeit of the 'continental' variety. Really, as a rustic boutiquey hotel this place is a fantastic option. However, our experience here was sadly not as good as other places we've stayed in Thailand so far. We transferred here from another nearby guesthouse because we decided to extend our stay in Bangkok and our guesthouse was full. I had been going here for coffee every morning and because the staff was sooo friendly we decided to stay. Overall it was a nice stay but we had many problems. First, the wi-fi did not work in our room. I didn't think this would be a huge problem but I needed wi-fi for work and planning out future trip plans and sitting out in the common area for any length of time became uncomfortable due to the plethora of hungry mosquitoes which happily feasted on us the longer we stayed out there. Our room, which was off the kitchen, was small but comfortable and more than sufficient except that every evening and morning the smell of unventilated sewage would slowly start creeping in. I think it actually came from outside of the guesthouse but it was hard to tell. The shower drain drained too slowly so the bathroom floor would quickly flood with water. That being said the shower was otherwise great and the hot water heater worked quite well. The only other thing that bothered us was the little charges that kept popping up. The first morning I was there I decided I wanted an egg with my toast. Not possible. I had to order two eggs and they charged 30 baht for it. Now, $1 doesn't sound like much but considering that you can eat an entire meal around the corner for the same price, and eggs cost about 2 baht a piece, it starts to feel a little rich. Next we wanted to do laundry. Great the wash machine costs 30 baht and you can hang your clothes, which is preferable to drying them but they charge you an extra 10 baht for the soap. Now considering most people do not travel with their own laundry detergent I can't understand why they wouldn't just charge 40 baht and be done with it. Also, every place we've stayed in provided a bottle of water with the room, including the one I'm currently writing this review from, Sam Sen Sam charged for it or you bought your own. I like simple convenience but small extra charges irk me. As a traveller I have slept in hammocks 6 inches too short, tents with bedbug infested mats, too many dorm beds to remember, 5-star hotels and everything in between. Sam Sen Sam was definitely on the better end of in between so I hate to nitpick about the little things but to me its the little things that make the difference between a 3/5 and a 5/5 review.

I hope your experience here was as good as the others I have read, I'm a bit disappointed in my own.

Cheers and happy travels!

2  Thank coconutfarmer
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed here 1st on 2009 with a best friend and i came back again on 2010 with 6 girlfriends. It's a very nice and very comfortable place to stay. Strategic and near Khaosan Road. The staff also been very helpful and friendly!! . The room is very nice, very clean and comfortable. I would definitely come back again if i came to Bkk the 3rd time.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends