All reviews shared bathroom fan room quiet street samsen road koh san road air con yogurt nice breakfast the river within walking distance grand palace quiet at night stayed here for nights nightlife pier skytrain
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a difficult review to write because in many ways our stay at Sam Sen Sam was enjoyable. The location is great, the people are friendly, the guesthouse is clean and safe, and there's breakfast, albeit of the 'continental' variety. Really, as a rustic boutiquey hotel this place is a fantastic option. However, our experience here was sadly not as good as other places we've stayed in Thailand so far. We transferred here from another nearby guesthouse because we decided to extend our stay in Bangkok and our guesthouse was full. I had been going here for coffee every morning and because the staff was sooo friendly we decided to stay. Overall it was a nice stay but we had many problems. First, the wi-fi did not work in our room. I didn't think this would be a huge problem but I needed wi-fi for work and planning out future trip plans and sitting out in the common area for any length of time became uncomfortable due to the plethora of hungry mosquitoes which happily feasted on us the longer we stayed out there. Our room, which was off the kitchen, was small but comfortable and more than sufficient except that every evening and morning the smell of unventilated sewage would slowly start creeping in. I think it actually came from outside of the guesthouse but it was hard to tell. The shower drain drained too slowly so the bathroom floor would quickly flood with water. That being said the shower was otherwise great and the hot water heater worked quite well. The only other thing that bothered us was the little charges that kept popping up. The first morning I was there I decided I wanted an egg with my toast. Not possible. I had to order two eggs and they charged 30 baht for it. Now, $1 doesn't sound like much but considering that you can eat an entire meal around the corner for the same price, and eggs cost about 2 baht a piece, it starts to feel a little rich. Next we wanted to do laundry. Great the wash machine costs 30 baht and you can hang your clothes, which is preferable to drying them but they charge you an extra 10 baht for the soap. Now considering most people do not travel with their own laundry detergent I can't understand why they wouldn't just charge 40 baht and be done with it. Also, every place we've stayed in provided a bottle of water with the room, including the one I'm currently writing this review from, Sam Sen Sam charged for it or you bought your own. I like simple convenience but small extra charges irk me. As a traveller I have slept in hammocks 6 inches too short, tents with bedbug infested mats, too many dorm beds to remember, 5-star hotels and everything in between. Sam Sen Sam was definitely on the better end of in between so I hate to nitpick about the little things but to me its the little things that make the difference between a 3/5 and a 5/5 review.

I hope your experience here was as good as the others I have read, I'm a bit disappointed in my own.

Cheers and happy travels!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank coconutfarmer
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed here 1st on 2009 with a best friend and i came back again on 2010 with 6 girlfriends. It's a very nice and very comfortable place to stay. Strategic and near Khaosan Road. The staff also been very helpful and friendly!! . The room is very nice, very clean and comfortable. I would definitely come back again if i came to Bkk the 3rd time.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 December 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here 2 times actually. Once at the beginning of our 5 week trip and once at the end. We stayed 2 nights in a fan room in November and one night in an a/c room in December. We ended up wanting the a/c room in November and not needing it in December. Rooms were very clean, beds were comfortable and the staff was great. Lots of good information was given to us so we wouldn't get ripped off. The location is great for travelers first getting to Thailand because its close enough to all the action but far enough away where it made for a nice, quiet sleep. Strongly recommend this place. And you can book in advance.

Also make sure to check out May Kaidee vegetarian restaurant around the corner on Samsen road. And Adhere the 13th Blues Bar. Great music.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Sam Sen Sam Place is the perfect place to stay - close enough to walk to the Khao San Road and access to the ferries up and down the river to see Grand Palace, etc. but perfectly peaceful and relaxing. Staff are amazing and very helpful with regard to booking trains, buses and ferries, thank you Lek, you saved us so much time. We wished we had had time to stay again before leaving, but ill definitely stay on our next visit. Love to all, Lek, especially Potato and Phi Phi!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2011

This is a really good place to stay in Bangkok if you don't want the madness of Khao San Road but still want to be close enough to walk there for a visit. Rooms are tidy and cozy, the building is gorgeous and the staff are great. They gave us some good advise on arrival as it was our first time in Bangkok and always greeted us with a smile.

It is a short walk to the river and it is also possible to walk to the royal palace area so it is still not that far away.

We would not hesitate to stay here again. The only downside is that it is a bit expensive compared to some other guesthouses in the area but in this you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple