New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Lord Jim's at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok

Lord Jim's at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #51 of 10,373 Restaurants in Bangkok
Price range: US$ 49 - US$ 81
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Silom
Description: Sumptuous seafood and river views to savour Named after the seafaring hero created by novelist Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim’s reputation for magnificent seafood is almost as well known as its namesake. Enjoying an uninterrupted view of the river, Lord Jim’s serves one of the most popular buffet lunches in Bangkok with a wide selection of seafood and international dishes on offer. For dinner, diners can choose from an à la carte or set menu. Focusing on the freshest seafood available, Lord Jim’s is particularly renowned for its sushi and sashimi dishes.A private dining room can accommodate 20 diners for lunch and 16 guests for dinner.
New York City, New York
“Lord Jim's Buffet Lunch is world class!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our buffet lunch @ Lord Jim's. It is called a seaford buffet and there are indeed vast selections of every kind of seaford imaginable. But in addition there are also meat and dairy and vegitarian selections (both hot and cold) as well as a too wonderful fflowing dessert table. Albeit this is one of the pricier lunches in Bangkok but I think the quality and vast selection of food makes it worth the price.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good place to Wine and Dine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Cozy and comfortable. Like the ambience and service is good. a good place to have a chat and talk business.

Visited February 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Still excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have a couple of traditions when in Bangkok and lunch at Lord Jim's on the day of my departure is one of them.

The hotel phoned me as we were running late due to a taxi driver who arrived at and told us the Orchid Sheraton was The Oriental. The hotel put him straight and we were the last to arrive.

I have never been disappointed and still had my table for me and my wonderful partner by the window. What a view! All life passes by from huge barges to small long tail boats.

Reception was excellent from a smiling warm young lady. ...despite the Chinese woman who barged in while we were been dealt with.

Far, far too many buffets are ruined by cooking food and dumping it into bain maries and expecting it to be fresh 2 hours later. Not so at Lord Jims. The food is well laid out in sections with many chefs cooking live. I always start with tempur and sushi. Both excellent but do wait for hot freshly cooked tempura.

The hors d'ourves are mainly tasty, delicious and generous sea foods. Shrimps, prawns, Langoustines, etc compliment the many salads on offer. All beautifully presented with flair. The fish, as you should expect, are cooked perfectly.

Mains can be western or, of course, eastern. The meats are carved to order and I toroughly enjoyed one of my favourites ...foie gras. Soft and melt in the mouth. But I would have preferred this "naked", just on it's own with no sauce. Flash pan it and this is all it needs.

I am a dessert addict and for me the pastry chef is one of the stars, if not the star. The selection is huge and the ones (many I hate to confess!) I tasted were delicious. Creamy, eggy creme brulee with a nice crispy topping, soft creme caramel, sweet coconut rice and mango, fresh cooked crepes, chocolate brownie (?), fruit with a chocolate fountain etc, etc. Yes...I did pig on the desserts and would go for these alone!

Service at table was excellent with professional though not intrusive attention. I tried, for the novelty of it, the Thai wine from Hua Hin and was surprised. It did not have the depth or the finesse of a European wine but it was pretty good. My partners Reisling could have been better.

The cost is about 1,500 baht inc taxes and service. Allow about B350-650 per glass of wine.

I..we...look forward to our next visit.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Harleyclarkey
Stevensville, Maryland
“Still one of my favourite BKK restaurants”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

Lord Jim’s is one of my favorite restaurants in Bangkok. Having said that my dinner last week was a bit disappointing as the service wasn’t up to the usual standard. After ordering our pre meal drinks and reviewing the wine list, we proceeded to order our meals. It was then that we were informed that half of the “catch of the day” selections were not available. Usually this is something that you are informed of when presented with the menu. Needless to say we had to re-think our selections. Besides that, the view (window seats), background vocalist and meal lived up to Lord Jim’s standard.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank studebjw
Bangkok, Thailand
“Our Christmas tradition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We have made it our Christmas eve tradition to go to Lord Jim's for its buffet. Always a wonderful experience; have never tasted anything that wasn't excellent there.

1 Thank bkkdiner