“Köstlich!”
Review of Suhring

Suhring
Ranked #155 of 12,208 Restaurants in Bangkok
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My wife took me here for my birthday - it was an excellent choice! Although the place is in an odd part of the city, well off the beaten path, the old Thai house luxuriously renovated that hosts the restaurant is chic, modern and unique. The location allows for a nice quiet drink on the terrace overlooking a sprawling garden before digging in to the scrumptious food.

Indeed, scrumptious food! We picked the classic menu for our table, and we all enjoyed it very much! My favourites were the river trout (with an upgrade of caviar), the Camembert-stuffed pretzel, the sturgeon-cream cheese nib, and of course the (upgraded) main of perfectly cooked A5 wagyu beef. The currywurst, bread & coldcuts & pickles, and the mini-mugs of beer were also very nice. Desserts were superb, especially that mousse and the box-of-goodies that included chocolates, truffles, candy and marshmallows. We opted out of the (6) wine pairings but still had very nice drinks :)

Service was very good, personalized and responsive, overall impressed. The sommeliers were very knowledgeable and could advise on proper pairings matched to our tastes. The only drawback was that our waiter's accent was quite thick, making it difficult for everyone at the table to understand what we were eating - sometimes it was hard to say if he was speaking English, German or Thai (and we had people fluent in all three languages at the table). Combined with the 'all German' menu, we often had to guess what was in our plates...

It wasn't a cheap meal but well worth it! I'd definitely go back!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Made a reservation a month prior and it was probably the best dining experience Ive had.
Kudos to the Suhring brothers for bringing such creativity and extravagance into their food, a real tribute to German cuisine with a modern twist. Had the Suhring Klassiker tasting menu and looking forward to my next trip to Bangkok to try the Erlebnis tasting menu.
Aum and Bleighton(may have got the spellings wrong) made the whole dining experience worthwhile. All the staff were very courteous and well trained.
A very nice wine selection, just leave it to the sommelier to guide you through them.
All in all a night to be remembered, thanks to team Suhring.
Definitly a dining experience to add to your bucket list.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

I am always weary about "high concept" places that do "clever" food (see the review of my bad experience with one such place (Cuisine de Garden) the evening before our visit to Suhring), but my partner and I are so so glad we gave Suhring a chance. We enjoyed every aspect of our evening there, and will not hesitate to go back when they have a new menu on.

The moment we arrived at the reception after a brief walk through the lovely front garden, we knew we would be in good hands as the service was sharp and spot on right from the start. We were swiftly whisked away to the chef's counter, where we spent the next two hours observing the kitchen/wait staff operating like a well-oiled machine. Everyone knew exactly what they were doing and what to do next, everyone was taking their tasks seriously yet with a good dose of humour. It has been a while since I last saw a restaurant team looking so genuinely happy and at ease around one another - it was a truly pleasant sight.

As for the food, there were many courses and each was well thought out and well executed. We enjoyed everything, although if we must pick our favourites they would be the "currywurst", the homemade sour dough and smoked butter, the "fish burger", and the cod. My other half loved his duck as well, me not so much as my piece had a massive tendon running all the way through it, making it chewy. Which was a shame as the general quality of the meat and the cooking were both superb. Every course was explained to us with great enthusiasm, and the staff were obviously proud of the food and were well trained in the art of small talk. I am not usually one for interaction with restaurant staff beyond the necessary, but I thoroughly enjoyed our conversations with Suhring's wait staff and sommeliers.

Suhring is easily one of the top restaurants around just on its food alone - but pair that with incredibly professional and warm service, a lovely setting and a highly interesting (though pricey) wine list, we have here something extraordinary. Many congratulations to the Suhring twins - we can't wait to taste your new creations.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

I first ate in Suhring last October (2017). One of my Hong Kong based girlfriends was in town to celebrate a birthday and we wanted to do something special. While the food was great, that time the service left a lot to be desired. We had a booking that was supposed to end at 8:30 pm (not quite sure about the time) and at around 8 pm, as we were still chatting, we were given the bill and asked to settle it. I looked around at that time and there were still empty tables and even if there were guests waiting to be seated, there was a waiting area where they could wait PLUS we still had more than 15 minutes to enjoy our meal. That was really a big let down for me.

This weekend, another friend was in town and asked that we book a table here. So, even if I had a bad experience the first time, I went ahead and got a booking. And I am glad I did. This time, service was not rushed. We got the bigger of the 2 tasting menus and could hardly breathe when our meal was done. Wine pairing was ALMOST spot on save for one but the sommelier was actually gracious enough to listen to feedback and acknowledge our opinion.

Will definitely be going back to this place again :) Price is steep but hey, it was worth every baht.

Cheers!

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

My partner and I hosted some very special guests for dinner so we selected Suhring having heard some great things about it from friends.

The perfectly designed garden setting and the conservatory style section make a beautiful environment for enjoying the great food.

We chose the bigger of the 2 set menus and I found it quite filling though others at my table could have enjoyed more.

The service was good and attentive without being overbearing. It was useful to have each dish described but it would have been better if the server really understood the flavours and the rationale behind each dish which I’m not sure she did. The sommelier was helpful and not pushy but perhaps could have provided a little more guidance in relation to pairings. Overall, these are small quibbles and I found the whole evening a very pleasant experience of being taken care of.

The food itself was excellent and well thought out with some flavours taking my fancy more than others. The tiny beer shandies that made up a part of one course were for most of us near the top of the list of fun and tasty.

The wine is a little bit pricey, even in the context of Thai wine prices, but the selection is good.

In summary, if you are looking for a special place for a special occasion and have a healthy wallet, this is definitely a good choice.