“Excellent Hotel and will come back there for sure”
Review of Dong Wu Hotel

Dong Wu Hotel
Ranked #132 of 587 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I'm very satisfied with my stay there (3 nights). First, the staff is very nice and helpful. Second, the hotel is very well located and the MRT is only 5 minutes walk from the hotel (I dont understand when people wrote that it took them 15 minutes to get there). Of course the room was of great quality and clean, nothing to complain about. Third, the breakfast was very good and offered a good variety (fruits, scrambled eggs, coffee/the, vegetables ... and even dumplings!!).
I'll definitely recommend that place to anyone going to Taipei (either family, business traveller or city traveller).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Laurent_HK_11

Reviewed 30 July 2011

What I like about this hotel is how warm, sincere, and helpful the hotel staff were. Whenever I have queries about food, sightseeing locations, directions, tours, etc., they will always provide answers (and even assistance) in a patient and sincere manner. And their English proficiency is pretty decent too.

What I don't like about this hotel is its location. It is located in an old neighbourhood where automotive repair shops, traditional pastry shops, primary schools, etc. are. The neighbourhood lacks the vibrancy, youth, energy that you would experience at Xi Men Ding, Shi Da Nightmarket, Shi Lin Nightmarket, etc.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank IntrepidExplorer205
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Very clean, comfortable hotel with excellent service. I reserved a standard twin room, but they upgraded us to the business room which was huge. Probably the softest bed we slept on while traveling around Asia, but definitely still not soft (though you won't find soft beds anywhere). Free Wifi was really nice as well as free use of the computers in the coffee shop. Breakfast didnt' seem to be included with ours--we were only given coupons for the first morning. The best part of this hotel is their service. They were always extremely helpful any time we had a question. My husband was sick one day and stayed in the room--they brought him extra water and told him to call down if he needed anything. They lent us a USB adaptor/charger for our iPod since ours broke! Whenever we had a question, they were able to answer it. Definitely a good value for the price. True that it's not very central and transferring is a pain, but it's easy to find.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skipitgood
Reviewed 19 July 2011

It's one of the reasonably priced hotel that I have ever stayed in. The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. The room was clean too. The air conditioning needed a bit servicing but my wife and I have nothing to complain about it. TV has almost all the channels that you need. Free WiFi. Location was not too bad. The nearest metro was about 10-15 mins walking distance.

Staffs was helpful.

Room Tip: Clean and spacious room!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed here for 6 nights while visiting Taipei for the Computex trade show and some business meetings. In my many previous trips to Taipei I had mostly stayed in the big international hotels (like the Grand Hyatt), courtesy of the big companies I was working for, and also had local sales and distributor people to drive me around etc. Now I'm working for a small early stage startup I needed something much more economical, plus I was more on my own for local transportation.

Was highly satisfied in the Dong Wu meeting my needs for a clean, comfortable, economical and safe place to stay, with breakfast included and free WiFi / wired internet. Would agree with other reviewers about the location not being central, though I quickly learned to use the MRT, plus with using taxis sometimes, it wasn't really a problem.

One tip: book directly online with the hotel to get a really great rate: 30% off, or 35% for stays longer than 2 nights. Was only NT$1950 (about US$70) a night for a standard single, which includes everything (breakfast & tax). Note that the description of the rooms online is a bit unclear: says that the single has no window and no reading desk. Well, there was no real window (small narrow window above the bed), which might bother you if you need to hang out in the hotel a lot (I would have gone for the business or deluxe twin, but they were already sold out). Though there was a very sufficient desk for working, and a small round side table & chairs.

Also the hotel can arrange a car and driver for airport pick-up, NT$1500. Easily arranged via email directly with the hotel.

The staff were really helpful. When I arrived I asked about how to buy a prepaid SIM for my phone, and Nick, the manager, actually lent me a SIM, that a previous guest had left at the end of their trip (and I returned when I checked out). I needed to top this up, and the next morning dropped in the 7 Eleven next door to buy a top-up, though had problems communicating with the checkout girl, went back to the front desk, and Ivy actually came to 7 Eleven with me to help.

Breakfast is pretty good, certainly more Asian themed, though they have one cereal choice (a mixture of several different types), and always one egg dish and cooked meats and vegetables. I found out towards the end of my stay that you can order fried eggs freshly cooked. Would have been nice to have had more fresh fruit choices than just the mini bananas.

The Daqiaotou MRT station is pretty close, less than 10 mins walk. I understand that the Luzhou line that this is on, only opened in November last year.

In addition to the 7 Eleven next door, there is a Carrefour supermarket about 5-10 mins walk away, which as well as the market has a few food court type restaurants if you are in a pinch for a quick dinner.

Room Tip: Book online directly with the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business