“Good hotel, slightly dated.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei
Ranked #14 of 565 Hotels in Taipei
Vancouver, Canada
“Good hotel, slightly dated.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

This hotel has a relatively central location, even though it is not close to any MRT stations.

The best thing about this hotel is probably the service. All the staff members are very attentive and helpful. The rooftop pool on the 40th floor also has an amazing view of Taipei 101. The breakfast buffet offers good food and a really good selection.

What I didn't like so much was that this hotel has been around a while, and you can tell. Our bath tub was yellowish on the bottom and I didn't want to take a bath in it. Our TV was set up at a really weird angle, I guess allowing you to watch it both on the bed and the couch, but I didn't like it. The steam room and sauna facility in the gym also looks old and I did not end up using them, either.

Overall I had a pleasant stay with no problems, but considering the location and that it's quite dated, I think I will look else where next time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Justine,
Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to share your comments with us. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our service, food as well as the stunning view from the rooftop pool. While we regret to know that the bath tub did not meet our usual standards, we will certainly pass your comment on to our fellow team members and ensure standards are met at all times. It is our responsibility to keep room facilities well-maintained. Nevertheless, we hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you again.

Marcel NA Holman
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We went there for dinner and we had trouble with using our points. They made us use all of our points at one time even though we clearly said that we are not using all of them. However, they did make up for it so I gave them three stars.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jaden K
Dear Jaden,

Thank you for staying with us during your last visit in Taipei. We regret to learn that there was unexpected issue when you redeemed your points. However, we are glad to know that the correction was made immediately. We hope you enjoyed your stay and the dinging experience. Thank you and wish to see you again in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

The staff at the Shangri La Far Eastern Plaza are friendly and professional and exude a genuine want to help and make your stay enjoyable.

The rooms are certainly not to the same standard as most other Shangri La hotels although they are incredibly spacious. Similarly the bathroom and walk-in wardrobe are also large. The position of the television is rather odd though as it is set off to the side of the bed, making it quite uncomfortable to watch. Not sure why it needs to be placed there. Overall the rooms are a bit dated and in need of freshening up but they they are still well maintained and in good working order.

The buffet breakfast in "The Cafe at Far Eastern" is great, with plenty of variety and choice. For dinner though, it is clearly set up more for buffet patrons as the a la carte menu is very limited.

Overall the Shangri La Far Eastern Plaza Taipei is a good hotel, and if the rooms get a freshen up it potentially can be a great hotel.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Richard B
Dear Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad to know that our breakfast helped lightened up your day! It is our top priority to keep everything well-maintained and ensure all guests have a pleasant stay. Again, we are grateful of your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

I've never had such friendly, attentive service. I thought I had booked a Horizon suite, but was first given a suite on a lower floor. When I entered the room, it smelled musty and damp, in spite of the air working well. Perhaps the carpet had just been shampoo-ed or something, I don't know. I was going to live with it, but then decided to visit the front desk. The staff was amazing, and fast. They wanted to know whether I had unpacked, and how quickly I could be ready to move with the help of the doorman. Fifteen minutes later, I was in an identical suite on an upper floor in the Horizon area (better view but otherwise identical).

The rooftop pool was great, and the 6th floor spa area was also excellent (though a little hard for me to find). I didn't try the restaurants, instead eating Thai (Siam Thai?) across the street -- I strongly recommend it, the best Thai food I've ever had.

The only odd thing to note was that I was given two vouchers for free drinks in the lobby. This turned out to be juice or soda or coffee, not wine or cocktails. Given that all that was available to me in the Horizon Lounge, this seemed like a bit of a letdown when I actually would have enjoyed a real drink mid-afternoon. For the price, I think I was expecting a little better. I was glad to try the Shangri-La this once, but frankly I don't think I would return given the price point.

This is obviously one of the best hotels in Taipei. Not as modern and new as the W of course. I would also put it a step below the St. Regis in Beijing, for comparison.

Room Tip: The higher the better I expect. I was very glad to have Horizon Club access, too.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

It's unusual for me to not like a Shangri La hotel as I am a Jade member and I like most of their hotels I have stayed in.

This was the 2nd time I stayed here and I have to say it is average. The first time I stayed, I stayed on 20th something floor with a view of Taipei 101 and a huge room (it had multiple corridors and closets etc) so it made up for the overall tiredness of the hotel; plus I only stayed for work and for about 6hrs so didn't really get a chance to comment.

This second time, my wife and I stayed for 3 days and I can see why I was a little sceptical first time around.

First, the location. I don't know Taipei fantastically well but this place seemed fairly convenient if you are prepared to cab it most places, which we did. The MRT is not far away, probably about 8 mins walk so it's perfectly acceptable for public transport too. There is the Mall right next to it with a handful of shops and a more than adequate food mall underneath in case you don't want to pay Shangri La room service (and I recommend you don't.....)

Second the room. Here is where we were let down. We think the room was well decorated and well furnished etc. It's a Shangri La so it's never going to be particularly bad. However, on arrival, we were upgraded to a Horizon level room on the 35th floor. Great we thought BUT do NOT get room 3509 and I assume it's the same all the way from 1st floor to the top (i.e. a 09 room) as it is right next to the elevator shaft. OK, the noise wasn't deafening, but if you have ever lived near or above an underground station, that low rumbling sound was what we were hearing quite a bit (as you would expect) so it wasn't exactly quiet or relaxing. We didn't complain which was our fault as I am sure they would have moved us but it's an issue for them nonetheless.

Third, the facilities. Amazingly, there are two outdoor pools there! One on 43rd floor or something like that and one on the 7th floor. The one on the top is small so if you want a bit of space, use the one on the 7th floor. Also, the one on the 7th floor is connected to the health club in case you want a massage, use the sauna/ steamroom after. All in all, it's adequate but dated.

Fourth, the breakfast. For me, this was their saving grace. Finishes at 10am on weekdays and 10:30am on weekends (which seems a bit early), it was packed with a good mix or oriental and western food. It has good quality dim sum too (which none of the other Shangri La's seem to have, not even HK) and very nice congee. Eggs/ soup noodles to order and a healthy spread of pastries, cold cuts, cereal and fruit make this a very good breakfast to have.

I haven't tried the other hotels in Taipei but I'd like to see what else there is on offer. If all else fails, Shangri La still have their reputation and service to fall back on so I would go back just based on this.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room ending in 09 (it will be by the lift shaft)
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HKFooey
, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear HKFooey,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and for taking your time to leave a review. We are glad to learn that you found the hotel's location convenient and enjoyed breakfast as well as using the facilities during your stay! To ensure guest staying quality and minimize surrounding noise at night, the hotel usually leaves two elevators to operate between 12am and 5am. However, we are sincerely grateful of your suggestions and comments and will certainly keep a note. We will also make sure you are assigned to a preferred room location during your next visit. Looking forward to seeing you, and thank you again for your time.

Best Regards,