“Best in Kathmandu for price”
Review of Family Peace House

Family Peace House
Ranked #75 of 466 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have only given 2 reviews prior to this one, and will only do it if I feel 100% satisfaction.
What can I say, but...... I Like this place.
Rooms are clean, well maintained. Area is quiet, no generator noises. Even when power is out in Kathmandu they have battery power which keeps the wii fii working. The people that run the place are friendly, and make you feel at home. The have rooms that cover every budget, and a roof top with view of the Himlaya's and Monkey Temple.
I have been here for a week, and will be leaving soon, but will be back here when I return to Kathmandu.
I have stayed in numerous places in KAthmandu over many years, and this is the first one that I am happy to recommend......
Good luck on your travels..
Brett

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Shantiguy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed at the Family Peace House for one night in December 2011. The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. The rooftop patio is a nice place to spend the mornings reading and breakfast is available. The hostel is in Poknajol, a quiet area, about 5 minutes away from the main tourist area, Thamel. I really enjoyed my stay here and the staff were very friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank Caitlin G
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We wanted to book a place before arriving in Kathmandu so we didn’t have to walk around crowded streets to find something, so we relied on reviews from here to choose Family Peace House. Overall, not impressed at all with this place and strongly recommend that travelers stay elsewhere at one of the (many) nearby other guesthouses. I have no idea why this has been rated so highly by some.

On the plus side, the location is good, in Paknajol, a quiet-ish area very close to the main backpacker street in Thamel (less than 5 min walk). However, there is a school next door so there is constant daytime noise of loud kids.

Our room was okay, very basic. It was a double ensuite room on the top floor, so we had 3 walls with windows which was very nice to get the natural light. Bathroom was basic, with a dripping toilet and though we were promised hot water we didn’t have it for 2 days of our 4 day stay, which was inconvenient to say the least.

We had breakfast one morning here on the rooftop, and it was awful. Took about 40 min to get our eggs and toast and when it arrived it was cold. The rooftop is overrated, its just a small patch of concrete with a few tables and everytime we were up there we were sharing space with the staff and their friends who were taking up one of the tables, playing cards, and smoking cigarettes. It’s a fine place to sit and read for a bit but certainly not some garden oasis.

The most distressing thing to us about this place was the unhelpful staff. In a big city like Kathmandu it would have been helpful for the staff to help orient us, maybe give us a map or offer suggestions on things to do and some travel tips, but they did none of that. They were pretty silent most of the time, and when we asked questions it was like pulling teeth to get an answer. The man who supposedly works at the Travel Info desk there was useless. As an example, we told him we wanted to go to Nagarkot (to see the Himalayan mountain range from the lookout there) to spend a night. I had seen online that there were tourist shuttle buses that went there so I asked about them. He said they didn’t have shuttle buses, it was the low season now (which wasn’t the case – we were there in high season). I said I saw it online. He said no. I said well then what were our options…he said public bus or car. I again had to ask him to explain those options (pulling teeth) and he said for the public buses we’d have to take two of them and it wasn’t good, we should take a car. I asked how much a car was and he said 2,000 rupees or something ridiculous like that. So we went to another travel agent down the street and asked if they sold tourist shuttle bus tickets to Nagarkot and of course they did…for 350 rupees. Done!

Then, we talked to 3 of the staff members at the hotel to tell them we were in effect checking out to go to Nagarkot and wanted to store our luggage and then come back the next day to stay one more night. They said that was fine, they could store our bags. Great. So the morning we were leaving for Nagarkot we packed up and went to turn in our key and one staff guy said just to leave the bags in the room. We asked 'are you SURE that’s okay' several times and he said yes. So we left. Long story short, when we came back we took back our room and the next day when we were checking out they tried to charge us for the night we weren’t there. We obviously didn’t pay it and told them that 3 different staff members had confirmed that it was okay to leave our bags there. It was ridiculous and clearly no one there had communicated with each other.

We also gave the business card for the Tourist Shuttle bus to the Travel Desk guy and told him he should know that there indeed is a bus to Nagarkot so that if other guests want to go he won’t misinform them. He took the card and didn’t say a word. Finally my husband told him he was going to be sure to give them a negative review and suddenly he bounced into action all “thank you sir for your stay” and all nice.

Overall very unprofessional and unorganized staff and doesn’t seem to be a well managed place at all. It was nothing more than a bed to sleep in at night, when in Kathmandu you can do much better than that.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brandori
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I stayed here in last december 2011 for almost two weeks. They game me good price for long stay. I paid only 500 rupees for big and nice room on roof top. My room had hot shower every morning and afternoon. I had nothing to complain for this hostel. Staff are very nice and helpful. They always offered me free tea in the morning. I will stay definitely when I am back to this wonderful country.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jaimie t
Reviewed 6 January 2012

While the location was great, quite close to Thamel without all the craziness and noise, the guesthouse was extremely cold and getting hot water was a bit of a hit and miss in our room 203.
We found the staff a little unhelpful at times and felt like we were not being given accurate information on prices.
We did feel safe while staying here and did return for another 2 nights after seeing what other guethouses had to offer for the same price.

Room Tip: Request not to have room 203
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends