All reviews aman properties amankora lodges aman experience pine forest thai food bigger property onward journey hot water bottles paper factory little things that make complimentary laundry cultural events other guests prayer flags the entire trip tall trees bhutanese menu
Reviewed 21 October 2018

Our first Aman experience, and I guess we were expecting more. Stayed at three Amans in Bhutan, each is unique and reviewing them separately. First – the room – nice and spacious but barely lit. The shower had no shelf for toiletries, so the options were either to put everything on the floor (yuck) or to step out of the shower with products on the tub and freeze. The lighting was so bad that I had to use a flashlight to ensure that I had emptied the room safe. The restaurant’s food has an emphasis on Thai cuisine, which we normally love, but we found this extremely bland. We wanted to try Ema Datshi, the typical Bhutanese chile cheese, but when we requested it, the employees seemed to have never heard of it. The staff was friendly and attentive, the bedding was comfortable. Had a great massage. Of our three stops in Bhutan, it seemed to us that Thimphu had the least to do – the paper factory and weaving stop weren’t our highlights. Great English speaking guides! Wonderful laundry service (included).

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
JohnReedAmankora, General Manager at Amankora Thimphu, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

Dear chicagolover59,

Kuzuzangpo la again and thank you for taking the time to write about your stays at Amankora Paro & Thimphu.

Thank you for the positive feedback on our staff and our spa therapists, I will ensure that they receive these messages.

I am, however, saddened to hear that our food offering at Thimphu & Paro was not up to your expectation and the very high standards that we set ourselves. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, so I have provided my email below in case you wish to get in touch. Rest assured, I will be discussing this with our Executive Chef to find out where we fell short and how we can improve moving forward, at all of our lodges

As mentioned on the Punakha review, we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon, to experience our lodges in Gangtey & Bumthang!

John Reed (jreed@aman.com)
Country Manager

Reviewed 9 October 2018

part of the spectacular group of hotels in Bhutan ,this one out of the three we stayed in was the only one that had anything to complain about. Spectacular except for the food . Every meal at this Aman was disappointing, especially the thai food......

rooms, setting, service were all amazing.......

Date of stay: October 2018
JohnReedAmankora, General Manager at Amankora Thimphu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Dear davorow,

Kuzuzangpo la and thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at Amankora Thimphu.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed the rooms, setting and service during your stay. I'm sorry to hear that your experience of the food was not a satisfactory one. I will personally be looking into this to find out where we fell short on this occasion.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back some time soon, to experience our lodges in Gangtey & Bumthang.

John Reed
Country Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

We were picked up at the airport by our guide Tara and our driver Kinley. They stayed with us throughout our entire trip in Bhutan.
Food is great. Towels warm and cold towels always. Service is great as always.
Tara and Kinley were also fantastic

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Mark W, Amankora Thimphu, Hotel Manager at Amankora Thimphu, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Dear PrimroseHill219,

Kuzuzangpo la and thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at Amankora Thimph.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will be sure to pass the compliments onto Tara & Kinley too.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back some time soon.

Mark Wright
Hotel Manager, Amankora Thimphu

Reviewed 21 May 2018

We stayed at two Amankora resorts in Bhutan - Thimphu and Paro. Unlike many other reviewers, I did quite enjoy the architecture and design of the rooms and public spaces of both resorts but felt like the pricetag was not worth the 3 nights spent there. A few notes:
- The rooms, although quite dark, are large, comfortable and clean. Perhaps they felt sufficient because we didn't spend any time in the rooms outside of night time
- The food. Really just OK at both resorts. I was expecting so much more of Aman but kept reminding myself that we were in fact in Bhutan so needed to check my expectations. They tried but really quite average
- Service - really good throughout both resorts. We were expected wherever we arrived and everyone tried to look after our every need.

Some of our favourite things were the turndown in the evening where they would heat up our rooms with the traditional ovens and leave hot water bottles for us, and the interesting like-minded people we met during our stay.

Overall: although we do enjoy a good luxury stay, we did not feel that this one, comparatively, provided good value for money.

Date of stay: February 2018
1  Thank ksjones1
Reviewed 16 May 2018

My husband, two teenage sons and I stayed for two nights at the start of our Bhutan journey and we couldn't have had a more auspicious beginning. A delicious chocolate birthday cake, decorated with personalised paper prayer flags, awaited our son who was celebrating his birthday on the day we arrived. The hotel is seductive on so many levels: the architecture is sleek but traditional, the rooms luxuriously spacious but intimate, the food delicious, the management and staff so absolutely fantastic (so kind, friendly and discreet). The setting is gorgeous; the hotel is located at the top of a hill overlooking Thimpu and the atmosphere is very peaceful and gracious. The view from our rooms was of a pine forest. For those travelling with teenagers, the archery ground in the garden is a fantastic place for kids to practice the national sport. A very special ceremony marked our departure: a buddhist monk recited prayers and blessed us for our onward journey. He tied coloured strings around our neck to bring us luck; I tied mine to a tree on Tiger's Nest, my boys still wear theirs.

Date of stay: April 2018