Amankora Thimphu
US$ 83
US$ 81
Osel(Thimphu)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsaman propertieslodge managerserving thailittle things that makepine forestother guestscultural eventstall treesas an examplethe entire tripbhutan tripfolk dancecommon areasstayed longerbhutanese foodcapital citybeautiful country
Reviewed 16 April 2012

If you are familiar with the Aman brand, then you will get what you expect ...personalized services that is warm and luxurious yet discreet. The staff, guide, driver were all very sweet. The food was really good, and room was very comfortable....great shower! The creature comforts were well thought out...wraps and hot water bottles for chilly evenings, little treats during the cultural events.

Only drawback was that if you were on the lower level, you could hear guests walking up the stairs to the higher level rooms. No Wifi in the rooms...they want you to get away from your phone/pc..whatever

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2012

In Bhutan where they measure Gross National Happiness rather than Gross National Product, Amankora defines luxury in an earthy way. The staff was sincere, friendly and intelligent. They were sincere in their warm ways and they made us feel at home. When our plans changed because of the early snows in the mountains they quickly prepared an authentic Bhutanese dinner before sending us over to their sister facility in Paro. The Aman country manager is also raising the bar for locals and guests. He's working with the King of Bhutan to, among other things, educate the locals on eliminating litter. A+ for Aman, once again.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Limahuli
Reviewed 11 November 2011

My husband and I went to Bhutan in May for our honeymoon for 8 days after spending 4 days in Istanbul. In hindsight we should have spent our entire 2 weeks in Bhutan at the Amankora resorts. We are very active people and limited our stay to a week because we were concerned that there would not be enough for us to do and see. All I have to say is we were dead wrong. Bhutan is a fascinating place to visit and there is so much to see, do and learn. We are also not big museum or sightseeing travelers, but all of the monasteries and temples were incredibly beautiful and unique, and we couldn’t get enough of them. As for the accommodations, we had never even heard of the Aman chain prior to booking this trip and after our experience at 4 of their resorts in Bhutan we are hooked. I’ve posted reviews for the resorts in Thimphu, Gangtey, Punakha and Paro. (They all start with this opening so feel free to skip down to the last paragraph).

The rooms at each resort look the same, and each one is immaculate. They are minimalist and sparse but have every amenity you could want. The lotion and soap at each one smelled amazing, we were obsessed with it. The only warning I would give is the only door to the bathroom is for the toilet, so make sure you are sharing a room with someone you are comfortable with.

As a caveat, if you do not like to be on roads that are winding and bumpy this is not the place for you to go. Each resort was at least a 3 hour drive through spectacular valleys, and our driver (Karma) did an excellent job at navigating. However, most of the roads are rough and only wide enough for 1.5 cars so the driving is slow with a lot of stop and go and passing. They are in the process of fixing them but for now, just a warning. If you want to pre-request an excellent guide, ask for Nema. He was above and beyond what we expected.

Some tips: 1) don’t drink the “holy” water when the monks offer it to you, fake it…it’s not purified, I got sick; 2) internet connection was spotty at some of the resorts; 3) if you can, try to plan your trip around a festival. We just missed one in Bumthang; 4) don’t expect Druk Air to be on time. Although our experience may have been an exception because they ordered more planes and expanded the schedule and when we flew they hadn’t received the planes yet. Also, the landing isn’t as scary as people make it out to be. I hate flying and I was fine; 5) if you want to hike, bring hiking boots and waterproof clothing. We went in May, it rained; 6) book spa appointments in advance, 7) laundry is included so no need to bring a lot of clothes, they will wash your clothes daily, and your shoes if you leave them outside. Everyone is very casual, you could probably wear sweatpants to dinner every night if you want; 8) We used Jetset World Travel to book our entire vacation, they are amazing. It’s rare to find a travel agency that has actually been to all of the places they recommend. We used Julia and she was beyond amazing.

Amankora Thimphu
We arrived here late due to plane scheduling issues from Delhi so we didn’t have a chance to really experience this resort. Nema and Karma picked us up from the airport (which is tiny) and drove us to Thimphu. These roads were paved so the drive was fast. We were taken to our room where we found a colorful display of rice on our floor, a symbol for a strong marriage, which was a nice touch. We had dinner and breakfast there which were both excellent, and they were very accommodating to my gluten and dairy allergy. We didn’t have a chance to explore the town, but as a warning, there are a lot of stray dogs running around. My husband and I attempted to run the next morning and it was nearly impossible because of the dogs, and a bit scary. Before we left they blessed us for our journey ahead. DO NOT DRINK THE HOLY WATER. No one told us it was not purified, and I got sick. Luckily a fellow traveler had extra antibiotics, or else the honeymoon would have been ruined.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank rubiacktraveler
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I am almost an Aman junkie, having stayed in about five of the Aman resorts in the past several years. The Aman in Thimphu is the only Aman which made me feel let down. The chef is excellent and there was a great deal of care taken over the food. The staff in the dining room were excellent. The rooms are large and lodge like and very similar in style to the other Bhutan Aman resorts. So far so good. However, in marked contrast to every other experience we have ever had with Aman, we did not meet the manager. We did not even know who he was. We met his dogs, we believe. Also, the lack of Wifi and television, gym, pool, etc. Is normally made up for in the atmosphere of the Aman resorts, but here it felt oddly flat and chilly. Also, the staff seemed to ignore the obvious discomfort of guests in continually leaving doors propped open and allowing the cold air into the common areas. Did they not want us to remain there? In spite of how many times we arose to close the doors, in spite of wearing our outdoor wraps and obviously being uncomfortable, staff would nonchalantly come along and open the doors once again, propping them open with stones and pieces of wood. It happened in the library, the gallery, the dining room - was there nowhere we could go but our rooms? I was forced to ask various staff members a number of times if the doors could be closed, and only then were we reluctantly obliged - for a short time. If there were wifi or television in the rooms it might be more amusing to spend time there, but as it is . . . And I can't help but contrast this rather uncaring behaviour with that of the staff at Amankora Punakha, where they brought wraps out to you if you even might be cold. This is an expensive option, but normally Aman delivers in giving unforgettable service and a seemless experience. Reluctantly, in this case I must say I have been more comfortable at Novotel. Sad.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank beauchamptraveller
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at two Amankora hotels last month, the Thimpu and the Paro. Without doubt it was a fantastic experience. My suite was huge and its design and decoration was very stylish, like the rest of the hotel.

The service was kind and attentive, almost too attentive. Beeing asked twice if everthing is all right is ok, but three or four times could be annoying. It is all about staying at the right side of the thin line. That said, most of the staff had a wonderful attitude.

The food at Amankora Thimpu was very good. One could easily eat too much since you can order as much as you like - everything is included in the room rate...which brings me to the huge drawback of this hotel - the price.

During my days at Amankora Thimpu i felt a bit like being part of a Scandinavian interior design magazine. I was surrounded of minimalistic wood constructions and white brick wall. Everything was quiet, no sounds of activity. Was I the only one there?

I understand that this sort of environment is a sort of luxory many would pay a lot for. But 1200 USD a night? For this price I would like a TV and free internet in my room, a good gym and a swimming pool. The Amankora offers nothing of this, with purpose I guess, but I think they should include it and let the guests decide whether they want to use it or not.
The price is way to high compared to what you will get elsewhere, both in Bhutan and in the rest of the world.

The Amankora hotels are a wonderful experience in many ways. The surroundings and the rooms are beautiful, but I nevertheless prefer a more personal touch. I was relaxed but also a bit bored.

PS. There is a pice of machinery in the basement/spa area that kept me awake most of the night. A thumping sound every tenth second. For 1200 USD a night a prefer to sleep undisturbed.

• Stayed: December 2010