All reviews friendly place to stay safari cereal expats zambia backpackers
Reviewed 13 February 2017

I stayed at Bongwe for 12 weeks while I was studying in Lusaka. Due to a misunderstanding we ended up being quite far away from where we went to school but we never once thought about changing accommodation to a closer one, after just a short period of time Bongwe felt like home and everyone who’s working there is amazingly friendly and helpful in every way. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, laundry service when we needed it, a kitchen were we could cook, free wifi and a back up generator that provides power for the place during the daily power cuts in Lusaka. There is also a nice and welcoming bar were you can meet both locals and tourists, order dinner, get a cold beer, listen to good music and play pool.
I highly recommend it and I wouldn’t choose to stay anywhere else when I’m going back.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

Traveled to Lusaka and needed a place to stay that was fairly priced and I struck gold in discovering Bongwe. The staff is extremely friendly, Stacey and Alex are wonderful hosts, the property is beautiful and fun to explore and perfect for relaxing in the shade. The locals that attend the bar located at the lodge are cheerful and welcoming and easy to beat in pool . I would like to add further that the staff was very humbling, as they had considerate hearts and went out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible in all the small things. It is a great location, easy to get around Lusaka and serves as an excellent base of operations. The room was very large and well attended to, very clean, and extremely affordable. I would highly recommend it and will be returning in the future. Cheers!!!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2017

I used to stay at the Bongwe "Barn," when the lodge was located there; this was my first time staying at the "Big Bush." Bongwe still has the same friendly atmosphere and staff that I knew in 2013/14, but this is a better location. Minibuses are now 1-minute away instead of 10; the bar space is nicer; electricity and internet are now reliable.

The only downside I see with the new location is the number of rooms; whereas there always seemed to be one available on Ngwezi Road, I have found it's necessary to book ahead here. Actually, I would have stayed here earlier with more availability.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 October 2016

The room was fine - very clean. The pool was great and well tended. The bar was a great place to meet people. Stacey was very helpful at every stage and she and her boyfriend and brother kindly invited us all to a BBQ one evening. Good experience all round and far better than staying in a faceless large hotel but also more comfortable than a backpackers type place. Thanks again. Riyad.

Room Tip: Ensuite room is really nice if you don't like sharing.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank riyadtibi
Reviewed 10 October 2016

I was seconded to Zambia for a 2 year period, at first I was renting a house and after regular visits to Bongwe, I decided to become a resident, for all the right reasons.
Daily laundry, friendly people, flexible housekeeping, etc.
My 16 month stay at Bongwe, will be one I cherish for the rest of my life.
I have met great people, made good trustworthy business contacts and had fun doing it.
Although they offer overnight facilities, I would recommend an extended stay, this place is the heartbeat of Lusaka's friendship circle, whether business or leisure, single or family, you and yours will always feel welcome.
I arrived alone in a foreign country, and left as a friend.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business