All reviews rooms are spacious and clean convenient location public areas reception desk internet connection shakira
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Tired, old, nothing works reliably (including air conditioning, water temperature, internet connections, plugs), and building is very dated with some bed rooms just making a 1-star rating. Owner hasn't invested in hotel despite being very aware. The first review I saw on Trip Advisor was dated in 2005 and said: “The Hotel Africana is a large hotel on the outskirts of downtown Kampala that was built in the 70's and has not been significantly updated.” Little has changed.

Other recent reviews show lots of very negative similar comments over time, and yet nothing has been done. Some of the rooms were truly dire. I had to go through several before finding one I would accept, and I only did that as the hotel was pre-paid. Also, one thing that wasn’t frequently addressed in previous comments, is the large number of prostitutes propositioning everybody in the hotel in the evening, so presumably this is condoned by the hotel management. Food was unpleasant (much overdone and not good -only fish was good), and service shoddy (some good, some bad, but overall poor). Staff often appear unfriendly, although better at times. From other reviews it appears noise can also be a major issue, particularly on one side of the hotel. There was no safe in my room (simply a stupid lockable box you could walk off with). If you decide to stay despite this, don’t say you weren’t warned !!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Harrison N, General Manager at Hotel Africana, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

We appreciate your comment oblivious of the fact that its not a honest one.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

This hotel is addicted to loud thumping music. Maybe people like it....not me.

I like the hotel otherwise, so I didn't give it a "1".

I was there three nights. The first night they had loud pop music playing until almost 5 am. Yes, it kept me awake so that I knew when it ended. Thump, thump, thump all night. Earplugs didn't help. Finally, I downloaded a white noise app the helped some. Crazy.

The second night was good. A jazz band that was good and not too loud.

The third day there was some sort of motivational gig. Thump, thump for three hours. Then, in the evening, I sat down for dinner on the lawn between the hotel and the pool. It was a beautiful night and setting. Then they started playing (with a screen for video) pop music extremely loud. It chased me up the my room but I couldn't escape the thump, thump.

Ya know, I'm dropping my rating to a "1". That was ridiculous.

Room Tip: The rooms that don't face the pool may be quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Awful service, completely unreliable transport to/from airport, fluctuating connection, dstv malfunctioning….4 stars is definitely too generous…you better opt for other options. for those rates you'll surely find something better in Kampala. never opt for this if you have small kids or you're sensitive to noise. loud music can be heard from nearby discos up to 5am also during weekdays.

Room Tip: there are no quiet rooms. music can be heard up to 5am everywhere in the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Harrison N, General Manager at Hotel Africana, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear Francesco,
We acknowledge your review honestly and positively and we shall address them expeditiously.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Staff are quite friendly and helpful with smiling faces.
I prefer staying at upper floors which is much better to have a beautiful city sight view.
Easy to pick airport transfer shuttle of hotel / many different options at breakfast and dinner/ wide room spaces and secure stay are other reasons to prefer Africana.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 29 August 2017

I have been a very regular guest at this hotel and have lots of subtle changes happening over the last few years. There has been improvement in all areas especially the WIFI and the food. Breakfast is very good as there is a daily variety of fresh fruits and changing fare. All staff are very friendly and do not hesitate to go the extra mile to make my stay here pleasant

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors facing the car park are very quiet and you get a good view of the sunrise listening to the sounds of chirping birds
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Harrison N, General Manager at Hotel Africana, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Thank you very much Mr Durgesh for your review