All reviews other hotels fred bath corridor tv facilities internet usd
Reviewed 27 September 2017

This hotel has the potential to be a real gem... but...

Let me start with the positives - great location, very central; great service, with plentiful of staff trying to make your stay as comfy as possible; a charming building, a good Chinese restaurant nearby and the most nice, relaxing garden, with a few rabbits (the owners´ pets, I guess) running around. Ah, and for the lovers of classical music, someone playing piano later in the evening in a very pleasant way.

The negatives, well, internet does not work sometimes, breakfast is not good and the hotel is quite tired, in particular the bathrooms - in mine, for example, the light was poor and the bath didn´t have a curtain.

All in all my stay was pleasant but I couldn´t stop thinking that it could have been much better if the owners decided to invest some money improving the conditions of the hotel.

Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed 15 September 2017

on way back from Bwindi I was not sure where to stay... kampala or Entebbe. So this overnight break in Kampala was a last minute decision and I just landed at hotel, negotiated rate and checked in. Evening shift staff Mr Fred was very nice, friendly and helpful in every sense of the word, regarding payment, helping with arranging tour next day etc

He made the stay worthwhile and a very good experience.

I would love to return to this small, home-like hotel

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2017

The hotel is quite basic in its facilities. I didn't check but I think its 3 stars or so. Nevertheless, the rooms provide all you need. I had a normal room on the 1st floor equipped with a proper bed, a desk, TV, AC and a table for the suitcase as well as a wardrobe for hanging things.
The bathroom has a bath, looks a bit old fashioned but everything works fine and the shower gives plenty of water. The bathroom has a ventilation opening to the corridor only closed by a mosquito net. People who appreciate their acoustic bathroom privacy might find that a bit too open ;-)
The room was clean.
Street is not too far away, I closed my window and don't know if it would otherwise be noisy or not. I have no negative memory of street noise before closing the window so it might be OK. Still, ask for room at the back (facing garden) if you want to sleep with windows open and need quietness.
Breakfast is outside on a terrace or in the inner court garden. A fried egg serves all I need and I didn't test too much of the other offerings. It was not too lavish but again, it serves the basic needs with juices, bread, cheese and ham and some yogurts. Coffee and thee are standard.
The hotel is adjacent a colonial clubhouse that includes a restaurant. We used the restaurant twice and it was fine. It is a Chinese restaurant though and Chinese food is all you get. A bit more international cuisine might suit a hotel better but I think the hotel and the restaurant are 2 independent entities.
The whole building and garden are OK. Nothing fancy and certainly not new or recently renovated.
The personnel is very friendly and helpful. There were enough people to help, sometimes it takes a bit before you get what you want but everybody makes an effort to please you. In fact, the people give this hotel its character of a family ran and modest place. They make you feel welcome and looked after.
If you fancy luxury and status, you better check in into other hotels in Kampala but end up paying more than the 95 USD I had to pay. If you don’t care about that and wanna enjoy a bit more authentic Kampala services, then this is probably the right place to be. The price is OK to good and there was nothing to complain and we enjoyed the friendly and helpful personnel.
I will return next time.

Room tip: Ask for room at the back (facing garden) if you want to sleep with windows open and need quietness
Date of stay: May 2017
Reviewed 25 November 2016

This was such a disappointment! I had booked the property as advertised with the pool, fitness center and good wifi on booking.com and when the driver picked me up he took me to their sister property Shangri-la Nyoni Gardens which had none of those things. They had me pay right at check in which I shouldn't have done and because the names were similar (shangri-la gardens) I didn't notice until I started asking where is the pool etc? After a lot of complaining they told me the other hotel that I actually booked was full but they could drive me the 10-15 minutes over if I arranged in advance to use the pool/fitness center, really not ideal as I had limited time on my trip. They would not give me a refund despite asking right after I paid and realized they had switched me. Absolutely hate this kind of thing, would never book again! Also their wifi did not work well, totally useless for a business trip, and the balcony on the room had padlocks which no one could find the keys for so I was trapped inside.

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
shangri2013, Guest Relations Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Uganda Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

We apologise for the poor arrangement, and not informing about the changes, failure to access the balcony, poor wifi was sorted and up graded and added another 2mbps.

we do promise to improve and such incidences not to happen again,

Fred

Reviewed 9 November 2016

Perfect hotel in a moderate price range. Good location in the city center. Excellent and abundant breakfast set in a pleasant quiet garden. We had a very good dinner at the restaurant. Staff is very nice.

Date of stay: October 2016