“Great place”

Yujo Izakaya
Ranked #11 of 414 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Yujo Izakaya is a Modern Japanese restaurant and tavern, located in the heart of Nakasero. We specialize in Japanese Sake (Brewed Rice Drank) and CRAFT BEERS, imported directly from Nara, Mito, and Kochi in Japan! So when you come to visit us, please come thirsty! Our restaurant features a hot kitchen and sushi bar, with fresh local ingredients, and many others sourced from all over the world! We also now have LITTLE KOBE JAPANESE MARKET for all your take home needs, including miso pastes, wasabi, japanese spices and curries, little gifts, and more!
Reviewed 20 May 2019 via mobile

Yujo Izakaya is a great find in Kampala, really quiet setting with plenty of parking.
It has a really cool laid back feel but you can see management run a tight ship.
Staff are great, they greet you warmly and bid you fair well.
Good seating area inside and on a balcony.
Really cool design and decor.
Menu has a great selection.
I’m a big Japanese fan especially Gyoza & Ramen, actually I’m a Ramen snob.
So I ordered Chicken Gyoza and Chicken Ramen.
Shortly after ordering, a small salad bowl arrived and it was beautiful, it’s their FREE house salad, fresh, crisp and very refreshing.
Shortly after my Gyoza arrived.
It was as Gyoza should be.
Crisp and soft with flavourful chicken, however I had 5chicken and one pork.
The Gyoza seems popular there and I know why.
Now the Ramen, it looked perfect, big portion with runny golden eggs.
The eggs were perfection.
Chicken was nice, little chewy but the broth was flavourful.
Noodles weren’t really to my taste but they were pretty good Ramen noodles.
Toilets are in a separate outbuilding but are good and clean.

All in all Yujo Izakaya is currently 9th in Kampala and I can see why, personally I feel it deserves a higher rating.

Go visit, you WILL enjoy.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank Britishtraveller2
HanifRehemtulla, Owner at Yujo Izakaya, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2019

Thanks for visiting and leaving a detailed review Britishtraveller2!

It's great news to hear that you've enjoyed most parts of our Gyoza and Ramen, they are works in progress which we are trying to improve on bit by bit over the years. We will be blending flour from Japan and from East Africa later this year to achieve further consistency in both the noodles and gyoza wrappers.

And maybe one day, if their are enough fans of ramen and Gyoza, we shall be able to bring in a professional high output ramen + gyoza makers and open a dedicated place to serve these items. Yatai Lab at Kurb Kisementi opened in 2017 is our trial run with the hopes of getting there one day!

Cheers, and see you again in the future!!

Hanif

PS: We're wondering, since you are Britishtraveller2, who is numero uno?!

Reviewed 20 May 2019 via mobile

I would not have expected to have such delicious Japanese food in the middle of Kampala, but I did! This restaurant was recommended to me by some ex-pats in Kampala. The atmosphere is lovely and relaxing, the service was good and the food was every bit as good as I have eaten before and was at a good price.

Date of visit: May 2019

Hi Sarah san!

Thanks for coming, and we're happy to have pleasantly surprised you. That's the best kind of feeling!
We hope you will share what you've enjoyed with others, the same as your friends, the same way that the ones you mentioned shared with you!

From August 2011, our first 4-5months we operated without a sign outside, and its actually quite fun the whole world-of-mouth thing ;)

Cheers, and until next time!

Reviewed 3 May 2019 via mobile

Here is Uganda. I know that it is difficult to make Asian food in Uganda. Even then this restaurant's food is poor..
Karaage(Chicken fries) are not crispy.
And Soba is the biggest problem. Why are you putting Soba sauce(Tsuyu) in Small Korean sauce bowl? The bowl is too small, I can not put noodles on sause.
Pork Katsu smell bad. Miso soup with Katsu is too salty to cause a heart attack.
And when I ordered drink, staff gave me Korean alcohol glass. Korea and Japan are different countries. Do not confuse Korean culture with Japan.
The inside of the restaurant is beautiful, clean and the staffs are friendly. I expect better quality next time.

우간다에서 일본요리 만들기 힘든건알겠지만.. 너무 일식 요리에 대한 기본이 없는 곳입니다. 카라아게는 바삭하지않고 너무 눅눅하고 돈까스에서는 돼지비린내가 심해요. 같이나온 미소된장국은 정말 너무 짜서 먹을수가없었어요. 음식의 간이 일정하지않아요. 그리고 한국 소스그릇이랑 소맥잔 주는거보니, 한국이랑 일본문화에 대한 구분도 좀 필요할것같네요.

日本人なら怒るべきでしょう。
ウガンダの材料で日本料理を作るのはもちろん大変だとは思いますが...この店は最初から日本料理についての基本が全然ないと思います。トンカツの肉は臭いし、味噌汁はしょっぱすぎて全然飲めないぐらい。お蕎麦も食べてみましたが、蕎麦つゆがとても小さいお皿に出てきます。小さすぎてそばを全然つゆに付けられないし、つゆの量もありえないぐらい少ないです。しかもあのお皿韓国の肉屋さんで使うソースボールでした。飲み物頼んだら韓国の焼酎グラス出たり...(韓国語書いてるグラス)日本居酒屋というタイトルを使っているなら日本と韓国の区別ぐらいしてやれ。日本の方なら、間違った日本料理を売っているこの店に怒るべきだと思います。

Date of visit: February 2019
2  Thank SOLuSOLu

Hi SoluSOlu san!

We are happy that you enjoyed the inside of the restaurant, the cleanliness, the friendliness of the staff and for mentioning this all at the very bottom of your review.

We'll do our best to improve the quality for you next time and keep the salt levels down.

See you then!

PS:
1) "日本人なら怒るべきでしょう。"
"日本の方なら、間違った日本料理を売っているこの店に怒るべきだと思います。"

=> そのような強い言葉を人前で使わないでください。これにより、外国人は日本人を怖がらせるかもしれません。

2) 前の所有者は韓国出身で、家族と一緒に去らなければなりませんでした。私たちは彼に敬意を表します。だから、浸漬皿は間違いだった。しかし、ガラスはそうではありませんでした。ご理解いただければ幸いです。

3) 私のパートナーと私は日本人ではありません。ゆっくり学習しています。私たちは人間であり、完璧ではありえません。

4) Yujo = Yuujyou = 友情 = Friendship

Reviewed 11 April 2019

I had a dinner here 5 years ago and decided to visit again. Since then it has become bigger and now they serve beer from the craft brewery that is on site. A good beer, good food and freindly service. No more to ask. I will be back again.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank Geerlings

Geerlings san,

Thanks for the happy feelings about Banange Beer, the food and the service. We are glad to host you again at Banange Brewing Co. and Yujo Izakaya soon.

Until then!

Reviewed 11 February 2019 via mobile

Quite expensive but the sushi is good and the service is friendly event hough quite slow. The deserts are disappointing.

Date of visit: February 2019
HanifRehemtulla, Owner at Yujo Izakaya, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2019

Thanks for the kind comments about our sushi and friendly service!

We’re sorry that you found it expensive, it’s not easy getting all these products in from around the world!

Regarding the desserts, I’ll have a word with Francis our pastry chef. We shall whip up some new offerings to make the dessert section fun again.

Thanks for reminding us!