“Amazing Shopping!”

Tongo Art Gallery
Ranked #33 of 40 things to do in Kigali
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Tongo is a small contemporary art gallery offering unique professional paintings and stylish jewelry and accessories with an African flair. Showcasing the works of painter Joe Mukuna and designer Sarah Manion - Tongo is unlike anything else offered in Kigali's art scene. In addition to fine art, Tongo offers art classes for adults, commissioned art, murals and more. Come visit our quaint space located on the main road across from Intersec Security headquarters. We welcome you to our space and can't wait for your visit! Please contact us directly for any questions.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 January 2015

The jewelry here is amazing! A great selection of hand made, elegant accessories that are works of art. The paintings would brighten any decor. This is just the kind of gallery that you can stop by for a quick trip and find something to take home with you, or spend hours looking at all the lovely things! I purchased an exquisitely sewn stuffed rabbit made from the most lovely fabric. It was the perfect blend of Kigali and abstract modern design. Can't wait to go shopping there again!

Date of experience: January 2015

Reviewed 27 January 2015

Living in Kigali I have been visiting the gallery several times and last June before going home for holidays I found great gifts to bring home: nice earrings, the frame with the small wooden carved man and woman, pillows… There are plenty of things I like at Joe and Sarah's place, where you feel always welcome!
I also like a lot Joe's paintings and I wait to "flash" on "The one"! The cards with the printings of his paintings are beautiful and great to send to friends and families. When I have guests at home, the gallery is definitively one of the places not to be missed where I bring them!

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed 27 January 2015

Tongo Art Gallery is truly a gem in the heart of Kigali. While many Kigali art galleries showcase the same type and style of art, Tongo is truly unique. Tongo is run by the ever lovely Joe and Sarah, and showcases their fantastic work. Joe is a inspired painter whose fluid figurative and abstract work captures and holds your attention. Sarah's mix-medium jewelry and fashion pieces show her eye for dynamic design, and the influence of the local artisans she works with. Tongo is not only about Sarah and Joe though, as it is also a community space. There are art classes, live music, and other events as Joe and Sarah work to enrich the local art community. Definitely worth a stop by whenever you are in Kigali!

Date of experience: January 2015
Reviewed 7 December 2014

My partner and I went to the Holiday Open House event at Tongo last night and it was really good fun. Great live music, the jewelry, shoes, toys and paintings were beautiful and the view from the little balcony is brilliant. We purchased a beautiful painting by Joe Mukuna, artist and co-owner.

Joe, Sarah and the team were fantastic hosts.

I definitely recommend a visit to Tongo Art Gallery.

Date of experience: December 2014
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 November 2014

Family and friends have purchased several pieces from Tongo Art Gallery - paintings by Joe and designer jewelry and even unique stuffed elephant dolls by Sarah Manion. After living in Rwanda for four years I found the galleries that had existed for many years were becoming very expensive and very commercialized, so I was excited after I stopped by Tongo for the first time and found a unique style and a different experience that felt focused more on the art and less on the business. I would highly recommend stopping by!

Date of experience: August 2014
Sarah M, Manager at Tongo Art Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2014

Thanks so much for your feedback. Sharing our passion and commitment for art is absolutely our #1 priority and we're glad you noticed!