Review Highlights
The Most Charming Gallery!

I've been to Tongo twice - and i LOVE it! The space is full of character and charm - and the work... read more

Reviewed 4 June 2015
bkl0924
Kigali, Rwanda
What a find!

I have just left this little gem of a gallery in Kigali. It's so authentic with Jo painting and... read more

Reviewed 21 March 2015

182 Reviews
from US$ 100.00
from US$ 85.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 November 2014

Strolled in on a whim, and found this to be a wonderful stop. Tongo is a charming art gallery. Well located in Kacyiru, on the street directly behind the presidential office. Joe and Sarah were a pleasure to meet, and they offer a great collection of art and fashion that you cannot find anywhere else in Kigali. I definitely recommend for anyone visiting Kigali to put Tongo on your list of places to visit. You will not regret it!

Date of experience: October 2014
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Joe and Sarah (the couple that run the gallery) are both super talented and super fun. Their style, both in painting and in fashion, is very unique and stands out from the rest of Rwanda's art world. The paintings are truly catching and the jewelry (and other fashionable items) are really stylish - my wife lots it. The gallery is a really cool little spot and if you can, definitely make it for one of their gallery openhouse events - always a good time.

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Tongo is run by two talented artists: Joe has unique and diverse painting styles that I haven't seen elsewhere in Kigali and Sarah makes wonderfully distinctive, stylish jewelry and accessories. Their gallery showcases an assortment of items that changes up frequently enough that you always find something new there: paintings, jewelry, accessories, pillows, cards. I've personally bought a handbag (which I love and use almost every day), an adorable stuffed rabbit, and cards featuring Joe's art. Every time I visit, I want to and usually do walk away with something!

The gallery itself is quaint and welcoming and offers a great back patio view of downtown Kigali. Definitely worth a visit, you won't be disappointed!

Date of experience: May 2014
1  Thank Jessie_DH2014
Sarah M, Owner at Tongo Art Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Very appreciative of your visit and YES! We are always changing our paintings and jewelry so please come back with your friends

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The quality of the art and fashion that you can get at Tongo is very high and the products are very unique. I had been wanting to buy a painting for my living room for quite some time, but before Tongo opened, I honestly couldn't find anything I liked. I think Joe's paintings are really beautiful-you can definitely tell that he has studied art. We now have a Tongo painting hanging in our living room and it makes me happy to look at it every day! I also own a Maji designs purse that I bought at Tongo and I get compliments every time I use it! Again, I haven't found anything like it anywhere else in Kigali. Bottom line- Tongo is a great place to go to get really high quality art and jewelry that is different from the standard stuff you get everywhere else in Kigali. And as an added bonus they throw a great party as well!

Date of experience: May 2014
Sarah M, Owner at Tongo Art Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thanks so much for your review. Joe and I are thrilled that you like the work. We look forward to seeing you often.