All reviews hotel rwanda mille collines panorama restaurant historic hotel pool bar top floor live music pool side genocide museum kigali city gorilla trekking east africa film treadmill security brunch
Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

The hotel, formally owned by Sabena, the former National Airline of Belgium. It feels old and to a certain extend it is. The rooms are ok. The bathrooms (shower in the bath with a curtain) is very outdated. I hear the hotel is up for sale.

Breakfast is ok; nothing too exciting, just enough choice to have a OK meal. Coffee could use some help.

The view on the valley side is incredible. The pool area is comfortable and inviting. These rooms are quieter as the music from the hotel on the hill does not keep you up at night.

The location is very central. Most banks etc are at crawl distance. The location is of historical significance as it is the location where during the terrible times of the genocide the manager tried to hide people. Hotel Rwanda...

Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
ClaireKangwage, General Manager at Hotel Des Mille Collines, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your review.

We are glad that you appreciated the historical signifance of our property, its location, the incredible views, quiet rooms and the pool area.

We also appreciate your feedback with regards to the state of the bahrooms and we do plan a renovation that will allow us offer improved services especially in the upgrade of rooms.

Please also be informed that the hotel is not up for sale.

We value your feedback and look forward to hosting you once again.

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

What can I say? I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Kigali. Very friendly staff, excellent premises, great food, and always a good way to pay our respects in relation to the events of 1994, as this hotel was a key part of it and by staying there we are contributing to its conservation.

I would like to suggest once again that the 4th floor restaurant is properly marketed and starts opening for lunches. Frankly, to me it is the best restaurant in Kigali and I'm sure it would be an absolute favourite for business lunches. With proper marketing though.

I will certainly be staying at the Mille Collines again soon.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank DuarteP
ClaireKangwage, General Manager at Hotel Des Mille Collines, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Dear DuarteP,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your review with other community members.

We are so glad to know that we are your favorite accomodation partner in Kigali and that you enjoyed your stay, especially the very friendly staff, the excellent premises and the good food. Thank you for paying tribute to the victims of the 1994 genocide and your contribution to the conservation of this historic palace by staying with us.

Thank you very much for sharing your suggestion regarding Le Panorama restaurant on the 4th floor. This has been noted and will be looked into.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you once again.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

The service was very good. The room was comfortable and had what I needed. Room was clean. I loved the fresh passion fruit juice and delicious Rwandan coffee each morning. The staff were friendly and helpful. I gave it four stars, the rooms are a little dated.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank 1TravelerfromTexas1
ClaireKangwage, General Manager at Hotel Des Mille Collines, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your review.

We are very thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your stay, especially the good service you received from our friendly and helpful staff, the comfortable bed, the clean room, the fresh passion fruit juice and the delicious Rwandan coffee that you had each morning.

Regarding the state of the room, we plan a renovation that will allow us offer improved services especially in the upgrade of rooms.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

I was looking forward to staying in this historic hotel ever since I first watched the movie Hotel Rwanda. The drive from the airport (by taxi) took about 30 minutes and gave a good overview of the city. The arrival at the hotel was a bit less impressive. The check-in experience can best be described as indifferent (albeit efficient). My room was equally underwhelming. Three-star quality at best and well overdue for a major overhaul. As I read in another review, the fridge in the review was unplugged (tip for management: fridges work better when they're plugged in!). The bed was comfortable, though, and I enjoyed the views from my room. The far and away best part of the hotel is the terrace/pool/restaurant area. What a beautiful, serene and just gorgeous place. The views are great, and I will never forget sitting on the terrace for breakfast in the early morning, enjoying the sunlight surrounded by greenery and those great views over the hills of Kigali. For that alone, I'd come back in a heartbeat. The breakfast, by the way, was fine but nothing special, really. My checkout experience was equally unimpressive as the check-in. If I was running this place, I would definitely replace or seriously train the front desk staff. It's the little soft touches and interactions that make a place memorable. Sadly, my last memory was one of annoyance. Upon leaving the hotel, I asked for a taxi (and I stressed that I want a "regular taxi"). They just ignored me and pulled up the hotel's Mercedes-Benz and asked for $30 (and I'd paid about $15 for an airport taxi upon arrival!). When I asked, again, for a regular taxi, they acted like that was difficult if not impossible (seriously?!). In the end, I paid the guy $20 for the ride to the airport. But I'm left wondering: is this really the best way to run what should or could be one of the best hotels in town?

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank XNAChris
ClaireKangwage, General Manager at Hotel Des Mille Collines, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Dear XNAChris,

Thank you very much for your review and for all the highlited significant comments.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, its history and potential, the comfortable bed, the views from your room, the gorgeous beautiful serene that La terrasse/pool/resturant offers and the great views over the hills from La Terrasse.

We regret to learn that the experience at check-in and check-out, state of the room and airport transfers did not meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies for this. We are following up with the concerned departments as our aim is to always provide the best experience to our guests.
With regards to your room, we plan a renovation that will allow us offer improved services especially in the upgrade of rooms.
Your concern regarding taxi fares, please note that the reception team are not allowed to call any regular taxi unless you have your own taxi they can help you call.

In the interim, please note that we value your feedback as it is feedback like yours that helps us anticipate some of our customer needs and meet their expectations.

We look forward to hosting you on your next visit.

Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

I stayed three nights. It was my first trip to Rwanda. I was not sure what to expect. It was very comfortable stay. Room was clean. Breakfast was also great. Pineapple juice was delicious. Omelette was also good. Morning air was fresh in the breakfast place. Only caveat was shower water was so weak. Had a problem showering properly. The surrounding area looked very safe.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank seanseungw0nj
ClaireKangwage, General Manager at Hotel Des Mille Collines, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Dear Sean Seungwon J,

Thank you very much for staying with us on your first trip to Rwanda.

We are delighted to know that your stay was comfortable and that you had an overall good experience. We are glad that you enjoyed the clean room, great breakfast, delicious pineapple juice, omelette, fresh air at La Terrasse Restaurant where you had breakfast and the safe surroundings. We apologies for the water pressure issue during your stay and would like to assure you that this problem was resolved.

We value your feedback and look forward to hosting you next time.

Warm regards,