Free cancellation until 05/08
US$ 64
US$ 66
Hotels.com
  • Pool
AES Luxury Apartments(Abuja)(Great Value!)
US$ 65
US$ 59
US$ 258
US$ 234
  • Pool
All reviewsspacious roomenjoyed my staykitchenetteinternetimprovement
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed during the WEF because all the hotels in Abuja were booked and ended up being pleased. If you travel in Nigeria you know it's a matter of when, not if something will go wrong. So I was surprised when I walked into my room and everything worked (in Nigeria you sometimes need to move to a couple of rooms to get one you like).

Buffet was good although no pork, the chicken sausages were a good alternative. Good Internet, but would the management PLEASE improve the listing!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank B_adenuga
Aisha I, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire Hawthorn team, thank you for staying with us. It was a pleasure to welcome you to our hotel and to provide the comfort and service that you required. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please can you clarify on your last sentence? "Improving our listing" please email admin@hawthorn.com.ng with specifications. We would like to know so that we make this improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Honestly, I chose this hotel because it's being operated by Wyndham and I expected a certain level of standard (even in Nigeria) which I did not get and i'm really dissapointed with Wyndham for this. I was meant to stay 2 nights but left after just the first!!

The good - location is okay, beds are comfy, the site is secured (so is almost every hotel of this size in Abuja BTW.

The nasty - the cheap brown jacuzzi that doesnt work (cant even imagine who would want to sit in that), the refrigerator that doesnt work (after the door man asked if he could put my bottle of water in it as if he was doing me a favor), the nasty furniture in the room that I felt by butt would fall out the chairs!! The door did not have an internal lock - it was clear they removed this purposely. The carpet stank. I made the mistake of going through the wrong staircase to the back of house and OMG, i decided not to eat there - so I cant tell you about their food. And please, change those nasty service access doors on the wall ways, common guys you could have done better than just painting a plywood!!

Honestly, I can expect and accept all of these issues from a local/non-branded hotel, but from a Wyndham branded hotel at the price I paid!! I stayed in room 138.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Colo_mentality
Aisha I, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest,
We sincerely apologise for our shortcomings, we appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention. Our inspection team has fallen short of desire expectations. We will address all issues raised with departments concerned and assure that improvements are made to exceptional standards.

Thank you.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Staff and management are very pleasant and have a commitment to make this suite hotel stand out from the average Abuja business hotel.

Facilities are a bit variable. Some things are hopelessly over-specified (non-functioning jacuzzis in all the rooms), and more lighting would be useful.

There's a pleasant pool and a moderately working gym. "Spices" and other restos nearby are a relief from the tedium of hotel buffets. No alcohol, but Bolton Whites and Bull and Bush are nearby.

I haven't persuaded them to turn off the incessant piped music.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor. Lots of noisy machinery. It's a good idea to check your room for lighting, A/C, water etc before you accept it, and ask for an alternative if too many things don't work.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
darkpebbles, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

We are working on the light, the hotel is undergoing general refurbishing and improvements.
Thank you for your imput. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The hotel is run down. The rooms and hotel is poorly maintained. The rooms needs drastic renovation. Hotels in Africa must provide the feeling of home and it is not the feeling one gets when entering the hotel and room. The employees wish to help and they are very kind but the execution is not moving to anyplace.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ShoriSmith
Reviewed 3 January 2014

It's really easy to love or hate this hotel and if you read many of the reviews on TripAdvisor you would definitely think you should turn the other way and run far, far away.
But...I have to say that this place gets a bad rap. Yes, the hotel is in desperate need of a facelift (a paint job, some better lights and new carpeting would make a huge difference). Yes, the hotel isn't in the most exciting location. Yes, the hallways are a bit depressing.
However - you have a nice gym and pool, you have BIG rooms with flatscreen TVs, a kitchenette, a dining table, sitting room with couches and a spacious bedroom. And the bathrooms have a jazuzzi-esque bathtub. Don't eat at the hotel if you can avoid it, though. There is a great Indian restaurant just a stone's throw away (Spices) and the Bolton Arms hotel nearby has a great poolside cafe and bar. Also, just next door there is a supermarket where you can buy all your essentials for breakfast, etc..
We stayed here for security reasons and it definitely met those criteria - well protected, gated, off the main road, etc. You are going to have to take a taxi almost anywhere you want to go, but if you like Indian food and/or don't mind a few taxi rides, this is definitely a safe and comfortable place to stay. Be prepared to pay for your room in cash (and in dollars). In theory they take credit cards, but, as I'm sure you'll read elsewhere, using credit cards in Nigeria can be risky business.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business