“HOTEL OF HORRORS. Family's please stay away.”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja
Ranked #51 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is one of the most horrible and dangerous hotel i have ever stayed in . Nothing works . we booked a suite as a couple and included in the package was free breakfast. the morning we went to have breakfast we were told the free breakfast is just for one person and that the second occupant should pay. we of course got the manager who then revert the paying for the breakfast. but it was so embarrassing . The senior management do not even care when things go horribly wrong. I stepped into the lift and there was a power cut , the doors to the lift hit my head so hard i lost balance blacked out for a few seconds, luckily i was caught by my husband who happens to be standing behind me before i hit the floor , that's when couple of staffs came to help us. when we got to our room there was a very bad worded letter saying that the management was working to fix the lift ,,, ,not a single word on how sorry they were as a management that i almost suffered a concoction. imagine if that was a child , they could have been seriously hurt . The front sliding doors do not stop even when you are standing in the middle . its closes with such force that ,there is a potential hazard if a child is standing there ,those doors could squeeze and crush them . This is a potential disaster waiting to happen . This hotel needs a complete over haul . The chandelier in the lobby is hanging by a thread ,that could fall off from the ceiling at any giving time . The first room we were giving was so hazardous we were moved into another suite , after 2 nights the bathroom door refused to shut, because there was a six inch nail sticking out from the door joist. We complained nothing was done about it. In the end my husband removed it and left it on the dresser. House keeping kept giving us one bath towel for the 2 of us to share. we had to call reception every day for a second pair of clean towel. The management at this hotel do not care about your welfare as long as they've got your money. IF THE WYNDHAM GROUP DO NOT PUT THINGS RIGHT IN THIS HOTEL , VERY SOON THEY WILL BE HIT WITH A LAWSUIT FOR NEGLIGENCE AND ENDANGERMENT. SOME ONE WILL GET HURT AT SOME POINT OR IN THE NEAR FUTURE . In the mean time Stay away from this hotel.....

Room Tip: STAY ON THE 1st floor because the lift never works and the stairs are very steep going to the upper...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank JANETH O
Aisha I, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Janeth O,
On behalf of the Hawthorn Abuja Management team, I sincerely apologize for the mishap encountered during your stay with us. Unfortunately the letter you received did not express our remorse, but we deeply regret the incident and apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

As previously mentioned, we are working towards upgrading our lifts, and sliding doors. The management team is focused on making our facilities as safe and guest friendly as possible.

On behalf of the entire senior management team, please accept our deepest and sincerest apologies once again.

Kind regards
Aisha B.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed during the WEF because all the hotels in Abuja were booked and ended up being pleased. If you travel in Nigeria you know it's a matter of when, not if something will go wrong. So I was surprised when I walked into my room and everything worked (in Nigeria you sometimes need to move to a couple of rooms to get one you like).

Buffet was good although no pork, the chicken sausages were a good alternative. Good Internet, but would the management PLEASE improve the listing!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank B_adenuga
Aisha I, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire Hawthorn team, thank you for staying with us. It was a pleasure to welcome you to our hotel and to provide the comfort and service that you required. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please can you clarify on your last sentence? "Improving our listing" please email admin@hawthorn.com.ng with specifications. We would like to know so that we make this improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Honestly, I chose this hotel because it's being operated by Wyndham and I expected a certain level of standard (even in Nigeria) which I did not get and i'm really dissapointed with Wyndham for this. I was meant to stay 2 nights but left after just the first!!

The good - location is okay, beds are comfy, the site is secured (so is almost every hotel of this size in Abuja BTW.

The nasty - the cheap brown jacuzzi that doesnt work (cant even imagine who would want to sit in that), the refrigerator that doesnt work (after the door man asked if he could put my bottle of water in it as if he was doing me a favor), the nasty furniture in the room that I felt by butt would fall out the chairs!! The door did not have an internal lock - it was clear they removed this purposely. The carpet stank. I made the mistake of going through the wrong staircase to the back of house and OMG, i decided not to eat there - so I cant tell you about their food. And please, change those nasty service access doors on the wall ways, common guys you could have done better than just painting a plywood!!

Honestly, I can expect and accept all of these issues from a local/non-branded hotel, but from a Wyndham branded hotel at the price I paid!! I stayed in room 138.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Colo_mentality
Aisha I, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest,
We sincerely apologise for our shortcomings, we appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention. Our inspection team has fallen short of desire expectations. We will address all issues raised with departments concerned and assure that improvements are made to exceptional standards.

Thank you.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Staff and management are very pleasant and have a commitment to make this suite hotel stand out from the average Abuja business hotel.

Facilities are a bit variable. Some things are hopelessly over-specified (non-functioning jacuzzis in all the rooms), and more lighting would be useful.

There's a pleasant pool and a moderately working gym. "Spices" and other restos nearby are a relief from the tedium of hotel buffets. No alcohol, but Bolton Whites and Bull and Bush are nearby.

I haven't persuaded them to turn off the incessant piped music.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor. Lots of noisy machinery. It's a good idea to check your room for lighti...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
darkpebbles, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

We are working on the light, the hotel is undergoing general refurbishing and improvements.
Thank you for your imput. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The hotel is run down. The rooms and hotel is poorly maintained. The rooms needs drastic renovation. Hotels in Africa must provide the feeling of home and it is not the feeling one gets when entering the hotel and room. The employees wish to help and they are very kind but the execution is not moving to anyplace.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business