Free cancellation until 29/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$ 139
US$ 64
AES Luxury Apartments(Abuja)(Great Value!)
US$ 32
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Afri Hotel(Abuja)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsspacious roomenjoyed my staykitchenetteinternetimprovement
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The hotel is run down. The rooms and hotel is poorly maintained. The rooms needs drastic renovation. Hotels in Africa must provide the feeling of home and it is not the feeling one gets when entering the hotel and room. The employees wish to help and they are very kind but the execution is not moving to anyplace.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ShoriSmith
Reviewed 3 January 2014

It's really easy to love or hate this hotel and if you read many of the reviews on TripAdvisor you would definitely think you should turn the other way and run far, far away.
But...I have to say that this place gets a bad rap. Yes, the hotel is in desperate need of a facelift (a paint job, some better lights and new carpeting would make a huge difference). Yes, the hotel isn't in the most exciting location. Yes, the hallways are a bit depressing.
However - you have a nice gym and pool, you have BIG rooms with flatscreen TVs, a kitchenette, a dining table, sitting room with couches and a spacious bedroom. And the bathrooms have a jazuzzi-esque bathtub. Don't eat at the hotel if you can avoid it, though. There is a great Indian restaurant just a stone's throw away (Spices) and the Bolton Arms hotel nearby has a great poolside cafe and bar. Also, just next door there is a supermarket where you can buy all your essentials for breakfast, etc..
We stayed here for security reasons and it definitely met those criteria - well protected, gated, off the main road, etc. You are going to have to take a taxi almost anywhere you want to go, but if you like Indian food and/or don't mind a few taxi rides, this is definitely a safe and comfortable place to stay. Be prepared to pay for your room in cash (and in dollars). In theory they take credit cards, but, as I'm sure you'll read elsewhere, using credit cards in Nigeria can be risky business.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank garspolyglotte
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Like most people I generally read trip advisor reviews before staying in a place and this stay was no different. I think when judging Nigerian hotels some perspective is needed. For instance I know when I am in more developed places I don't have to worry about power outages unfortunately in a place like Nigeria that's an everyday thing. Thus, I can't take off stars from a hotel for something that happens in every hotel in Nigeria that I've stayed in.

With that rant out of the way. I stayed here about 6 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The beds are super comfortable, although some of the comments regarding construction weren't very noticeable , I wasn't a fan of the carpets, other than that the rooms were great.

The good : spacious, affordable, good food and internet

The bad : carpets, no bacon, too quiet.

• Stayed: October 2013
darkpebbles, marketing at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you very much for your review. We are gland you enjoyed your stay with us. Majority of our guests prefer the quiet/serene environment. Next time since we are located in the central area the hotel is surrounded by several restaurants, pubs and clubs, and our staff would be happy to show you around. We do hope to see you again soon.

cheers.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I spent a weekend at Hawthorne and couldn't get over the fact that I was able to sleep through the night with no interruptions. I had an excellent view of the pool and could enjoy the sunrise from the balcony, excellent bathroom and spacious room. The staff was respectful and time concious. Well equipped Hotel, definitely worth staying at when visiting Abuja!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 awesome days. The suites and friendly staff actually made me feel as if i were in a home environment and not a hotel. Breakfast was served buffet style and was already included in the cost of the room which gave me something tasty to look forward to each morning. The wi-fi which was actually faster than i expected and I was able to keep in touch as seamlessly as if i were in the States. This hotel seems to be quite popular judging from the throng of guests in the lobby at check-in and check-out times including Nigerians and visiting foreigners. There was an evening black tie dinner and a morning kids pool party on two of the days i was there, so i guess its also a desired event location for people in Abuja (only saw them on coming to downstairs, no noise in my room). The car-hire service (~$15/hr) made it a lot easier getting around as I didn't always have to depend on someone picking me up. I didn't get to use the swimming pool or gym but heard great things from other guests.The central location of the hotel made getting around quite convenient and i look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends