See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My work colleague and I recently stayed in Casa D&G's larger apartment, and I honestly can't imagine having a more pleasant, hassle-free stay. I am a travel writer so one component of my job is finding the best lodging in each city I visit. Over the years, I've become quite particular and maybe a bit hard to please, but I have not one complaint about Casa D&G. The apartments are clean, impeccably organized, and decorated with quirky African art, much of it unique to the region. Gabriel (the owner) made himself accessible to us while still giving us our privacy, and he even graciously came to the rescue with a work emergency we had. Having stayed in hotels all over Africa, I've never felt safer. The neighborhood is really nice and quiet, the doors have very sturdy locks (along with an additional gate), and there are guards outside the premise at all times who are very friendly and were always willing to help call us a taxi since our Portuguese is lacking. My PR Director researched most of the hotels in the area before our trip to Maputo, and ALL (I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately) are grossly overpriced and don't offer half the amenities that Casa D&G does. We wholeheartedly recommend this place, and thank Gabriel and his family for creating a home away from home for travelers like us!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank ljbuck
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Probably it was a nice place when they started the business, however with the current scarce accomodation in Maputo the service/price ratio has rapidly gone down. As other places the owners can afford to ask what they want without delivering services. You will not see the owner except when payments are due. Basic facilities like a table where you can sit on for breakfast and dinner are lacking, the coffee machine is leaking, no cupboards for your clothes, no mosquito nets, and -worst of all- no reliable water supply. We stayed approx. one week, with 2 days no hot water and one day no water at all. And don't forget your ear plugs. On Fridays you may need to enjoy the noisy parties and during the week the barking dogs will keep you awake till late. There is a small terrace, but don't leave anything there. The dogs will pull your clothes apart. In summary: nice place for backpackers with ample resources and no demands.

Room Tip: Not recommendable if you are not a backpacker and/or if you don't like dogs and/or if you want to relax a bit. You may be lucky with the water (it is indeed working most of the time), the noise (most of the time it is silent after midnight), etc, but if you don't want to take the chance: look for an alternative.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
gfossati, Owner at Casa D&G, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2012

Dear H J –

It is unfortunate to hear of your complaints, and the name you have given to your review is ironic, as there was a scarcity of communication about your dissatisfaction. The establishment where you work has been a great client with us so far, with no complaints. Your organization and the guests you’re your work have always had open communication with me, and they have always engaged with me, my wife or staff about any problems with the upmost respect and understanding, you have clearly taken another approach.

As most readers of your review and my response will not read this entire response let me note this: H J requested upon arrival, to move to the larger apartment, which was not available, this obviously caused some distress. Mr. H J opted stay the period that was paid and rather than engaging with us about the issues expressed in his review, he have decided to take this route.

Now, let me address your issues, exaggerations and lies one by one:

1- The hot water is ALWAYS on. The issue was resolved within 24hrs, and was not informed to us other than the first and only time it happen in the evening in Maputo, and the access to a reliable plumber is scarce. As mentioned, the issue was immediately resolved.
2 – There are very few mosquito nets in Sommerschield, all high level establishments in our area do not provide mosquito nets as they are not required.
3 – Our dogs are a security feature, as is the 24 hr security company and electrical fence, the dogs bark rarely as the street where the apartment is located is not heavy with traffic that disturbs the dog.
4 – We NEVER spoke of payments, the 10 days you stayed here were prepaid by your employer, who, with other clients has been completely satisfied with our service. Here sir you are lying in public, and I will provide proof of this to Trip Advisor so that they may curb future abuse you may cause to other establishments.
5 - This is a studio apartment, as you can see by the photos there is a three-meter long table that extends across the main window of the apartment. Again, another lie given that there is a table a chairs for a couple, perhaps you wanted it round instead of rectangular, in the middle of the room rather than on the side by the window.
6 – The closet, armoire and dresser are enough for a couple, however, as you arrived for your several year posting with eight large bags in total, it was going to be difficult to place all your stuff into a decent location in any one-bedroom home. Had you requested more dressers, they would have been provided.
7 – No communication was provided about the coffee pot leaking, I have verified the pot, and used it myself this morning. I think the dysfunction was in the improper use and/or closing of the pot.
8 – The noisy event ended after 1am and was the yearend party for the guesthouse on the Friday the 14th, you were invited but decided not to join us. All hotels in the world happen to have weddings and or events that sometimes might disrupt guests, but an event that ends an hour after your return home on a Friday night….just proves how persistent you are to provide a negative review on TA about us.

The key in your dissatisfaction, I believe, lies in two issues: first, you were unable to have the large apartment which is rented for a longer term, however, prior to your arrival, your organization had approved your booking in the studio apartment. Second, if you did not communicate with us about your problems (other than the water). With no communication it is difficult to resolve issues you may have (a mosquito net could have been place on the same day by our maintenance team).

The only communication I received from you was that the hot water was not functioning ONCE. I realize that you were not satisfied with your stay: the apartment was too small for you, your wife, your wife’s children who frequently visited, and her grandchildren.

As I can see you also had wrote a bad review for Mozaika, one of the favorite B&B locations in Maputo. You seem to be difficult to please: perhaps you are too used to the amenities and services offered in your home country. I hope that no other establishment in Maputo has to endure your silent protest and then reviews that are hyperbolic and full of half-truths and lies.

Gabriel Fossati – Owner Casa D&G

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed at Casa D&G for almost 3 months (Feb-Mar 2012) and it was a great experience. I am a regular travel to Mozambique, and beeing at hotels was killing me! At D&G I could feel home even far away from my home. The owners are very friendly and I could even enjoy their family life for a bonus. The place is very well located in a high safety area of Maputo city, near Embassies and close to the comercial and business center of the city! I recommend Casa D&G for those who are in Mozambique for business or leisure! The warm and cozy atmosphere of the Casa D&G will certainly make your experience more enjoyable in Maputo. I had everything I needed there: internet, cable, laundry and the most important for me: a place to cook my own food, and tha is all included in the price!
Thanks to the owners for the nice experience and success in your life!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jusimeire M
Reviewed 3 December 2011

My partner and I stayed at Casa D&G for two months (Oct-Nov ’11). After spending one entire month searching fulltime for a permanent place to stay in Maputo, we still hadn’t find it. Until we discovered Casa D&G: what a relief! Sick of hotel life we were welcomed by the owner and his family, who take care of their property and guests very well. Our apartment was spacious, properly cleaned daily and had everything we wished for: big kitchen, fast WiFi, a shared terrace, garden and pool. It’s located in the residential/Embassy area of Sommerschield, which is quite central, but safe and not noisy. If we didn’t had to leave, we wouldn’t have…

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Wi11iam
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Very warm and quite place,spacious and well equipped room. Very good location in the Embassie's area.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business