“Great hosts. Wonderful location away from the bustle of Port Louis and resorts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mon Choix Ecolodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Louis
Mon Choix Ecolodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Port Louis B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Not wanting to stay at a resort or a hotel during our four-day stopover in Mauritius on the way to London in September, we looked for an alternative. “Mon Choix” delighted us with its location high up in the spectacular hills behind Port Louis. Our en-suite room was spacious and well appointed. Every morning we ate a delicious breakfast out on the terrace enjoying the panoramic view down the valley to Port Louis and the sea. Our hosts, Joan and Jean-Michel, were very welcoming and wonderfully helpful with ideas about what to see on the island, where to eat and how to follow up our particular interests, namely exploring the history and culture of the island. From this base we were able to visit much of the island and then return each evening and quietly relax on the terrace.
When we next visit Mauritius, we will certainly choose to return to “Mon Choix”.
David and Inge - Sydney

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Inge W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I stayed at Mon Choix before the start and at the end of a fly fishing trip I made to StBrandon, an atoll 350km NNE of Mauritius. The trip involved me flying to Mauritius from 24hrs away and then sailing for 30hrs each way to St Brandon. I wanted somewhere I could relax both before and afterwards. I couldn't have picked a better spot. Can't say enough about it. Jean-Michel is a wonderful host, I had asked about NA beer and he had a very cold one waiting on my arrival. When I got back to Mauritius from fishing I txted him at 7am and he came and met me right away. His family has lived on the island for +200yrs and there is nothing he doesn't know about it and he is willing to arrange anything for you but the best thing is just sitting on the veranda and doing nothing but looking at the wonderful view.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Having stayed in an admittedly very nice, but standard international beach hotel in Flic en Flac, we were keen to see a different side to the island and this was an ideal choice. The hosts, Jean and John-Michel create a very relaxed and welcoming, homely atmosphere, are knowledgeable on the island and were happy to assist with planning our activities / places to see. The expansive outdoor living area (living/dining room with covered ceiling but open walls) is a beautiful place to sit, read and relax or just admire the amazing scenery with a welcome afternoon pot of tea and biscuits - as this really is a stunning location. The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable and we very much felt ourselves to be in a charming family home.

Although only a short drive from Port Louis you do need a car or scooter if you intend to see more of the island. We hired a car and thoroughly enjoyed touring around the beaches - some of the public beaches are idyllic, beautiful, clean and deserted, often prettier than the hotel beaches.

So, if you want something a little more 'personal' and an opportunity to learn more about the island, then I highly recommend Mon Choix.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Pisa, Italy
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I travelled with my boyfriend to Mauritius in February. We are fairly independant travellers and so went with flight only and then toured the island on scooters. Before going I did loads of research on the internet as I wanted to find something super romantic. The Eco Lodge Mon Choix was perfect and lived up to all of my expectations. The setting is stunning with amazing views. Its only 15 mins by road from Port Louis so a good position for exploring the island from but once there you feel away from the rest of the world. The house is beautiful, warm welcoming colours, and fantastic scenery. The rooms are inviting and cosy, elegant and charming. The proprietors, Joan and Jean Michel, are lovely. From the best rum cocktail on arrival, to great advice on where to go, and lots of interesting stories. The first evening we had dinner at the lodge, great food and very romantic. If you want to go out its a short hop into Port Louis. I would recommend the lodge for couples or for independant travellers looking for peace and relaxation. I definatly hope to go back one day.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah120974
Dubai
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Mon Choix is a fantastic location for a relaxing and peaceful holiday in Maurittius, Away from the tourist areas yet only 15 minutes drive from the Port Lous waterfront, it is a good base to explore the island from, being centrally located.
The Hosts - Joan and Jean-Michel - are really helpful with their local knowledge and contacts, and they made me feel like part of the family from day one, yet respected my privacy when I wanted to be alone. I was looking for somewhere away from the typical tourist hotels, and Mon Choix was the perfect choice. A car is essential as it is off the beaten track at the top of a very scenic valley surrounded on three sides by mountains.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
9.1 km away
Cocotiers Seaside Boutik Hotel
Cocotiers Seaside Boutik Hotel
#1 of 1 in Baie du Tombeau

Been to Mon Choix Ecolodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK