All reviews making my stay so enjoyable relaxing lodge home from home other guests peaceful haven rooms are beautiful read a book traveling alone guest house a wonderful place to stay stay there again food is excellent free wifi marianne suite business garden
Reviewed 22 November 2017

I have been in Lilongwe for two months and stayed at various hotels. This was by far the best for a number of reasons. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and in my experience, the only Lilongwe hotel where I didn't share a room with cockroaches. Breakfast was a morning pleasure, and the peaceful setting of the hotel is extremely relaxing. The pool was clean, which in Malawi at these times is a huge challenge.
Electricity appears to be scarce and all properties are running off back-up systems.
I was able to use all of the appliances necessary for my travel and on occasions where sockets in the room were without power the management offered charging facilities in the office. I thought the management were engaging, friendly and helpful. I will definitely recommend this hotel above all the others I have stayed at in Malawi. Perhaps it should be that westerners travelling to one of the worlds poorest countries should manage their own expectations.
Negative - the evening menu could improve.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2017

A lovely, clean and peaceful accommodation with wonderful friendly and attentive staff. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the management or owners of the house. While we appreciate the difficulties of electricity at the moment in Malawi, the management sell this house as mainly for business guests rather than tourism. As such there should be good internet connectivity and power to charge appliances to be able to conduct business. There is a generator but this is used minimally. There is no communication from management as to their policy re the electricity situation and requires a great deal of negotiation to have services provided. The air conditioning in the rooms is rarely available.
We have used Africa house for at least 2 years now but since July 2017 we have seen management standards reduce.
We have high praise for the kitchen staff, gardeners, cleaning staff and admin staff. They are always happy, attentive and we are on first name terms with them. It is a shame the management lets them down.

Room Tip: Another hotel
Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank dtodd9667
Reviewed 2 October 2017

I stayed at Africa House on a recent work trip and can't wait to return. The rooms, common areas and the garden are all beautiful and clean, and the atmosphere is friendly and peaceful. It’s located in a nice residential neighbourhood in the Capital City side of town. The room was very functional, in addition to being very nicely decorated, as it had e.g. a fridge, a kettle, and AC. I also really appreciated the fact that my room had its own entrance straight to the garden / parking area (in addition to the entrance through the reception and common area). The service was always friendly and efficient. Breakfast was great with fresh fruit, yoghurt, etc. and the option of freshly cooked eggs. Other meals are also available, and the one lunch and one dinner I had there were both very good. I loved having the meals, or a glass of wine or a cup of tea, on the beautiful veranda overlooking the garden. There are several super cosy sitting areas all over the guesthouse, both inside and outside. I highly recommend this place and will definitely book it for my next trip to Malawi.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Africa_House, Manager at Africa House Malawi, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear Anne,

Thank you very much for your lovely remarks.
we are looking forward to welcome you again at Africa House.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

I have stayed at Africa House a few times in Lilongwe, and will definitely be going back for my next stay. The house is peaceful and beautiful; there are plenty of nooks to relax and read a book in, but also lots of communal space to meet other interesting travelers. The food is excellent and the staff are incredibly accommodating of dietary restrictions. I'll be back soon to this retreat!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank katestotes
Africa_House, Manager at Africa House Malawi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2017

Dear Kate,

thank you very much for you very nice review.

looking forward to see you again next time.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

I stayed here for over a week on a work trip and was incredibly impressed. The rooms are gorgeous, the service is great/friendly, and the food was good. It is a calm, safe, clean, artistic and beautiful hotel. I highly recommend staying here. I stayed in the Namibia room and the Swahili room (both suites) and was so impressed. They both had a couch, TV, Kitchenette, walk-in closet and lots of windows.

Room Tip: Splurge for a Suite
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank AnneB2053

Dear Anne,

thank you very much for your lovely reviews.missing you already.

hope to see you again soon.