Wendels Guest House
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Lilongwe
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Sunbird Capital(Lilongwe)
Riverside Hotel(Lilongwe)
Simama Hotel(Lilongwe)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgovernment officestea and coffeebeautiful gardena great place to stayhome from homemelinternetkettleloungepower
Reviewed 18 August 2017

I stayed at Wendels for three months recently. It really is a great place to stay. I wanted somewhere quiet and it was, although if you want more socialising there are always people around to chat to. The rooms are great, very comfortable, clean and the bed was soft with nice cotton sheets. There was never any problem with the water or electricity. The food is good, all home cooked and healthy. Fridge in the room stocked with drinks and beer if you want them, kettle with tea and coffee. The guest house is in a big green garden which is perfect for relaxing in. It is also in a nice area of Lilongwe and there are 4 or 5 restaurants/bars within walking distance. If you want to go further taxis are easy to get.

The best thing was the people who are there. Mel and Tom were really excellent and went out of their way to help with internet, advice, food - everything really, and are also just really nice people. The other staff were extremely friendly - always cheerful, helpful and a pleasure to talk to. Most of them have been there for years, some for decades which shows it is a good place to work.

Anything you want, you can ask for it and they will try to solve it. I have nothing bad to say about Wendels it was perfect for my needs. I really recommend staying here. Much better than in a big hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
WendelsLilongwe, Owner at Wendels Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Thanks Fiona - It was a pleasure having you as part of the family for the 3 months.
Best of luck on your next postings.
Mel

Reviewed 25 May 2017

Well located, lovely garden, clean and tidy rooms, friendly and accommodating staff and really lovely hosts in Tom and Mel. Wifi works well and the food is good. I will always choose Wendels when staying in Lilongwe.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2017

We had heard what a great, friendly place this was and maybe, if you really like a bed and breakfast, you would agree. But we felt like we were being watched. We also found the owners put on a good show but seemed insincere.

The beds were hard as rocks and the rooms spartan. there is a water shortage but plan on a cold shower unless you run the water for what seems like forever.

However, the food was very good. We had two dinners and three breakfasts and enjoyed each.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
WendelsLilongwe, Owner at Wendels Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Thank you for your comments - sorry you did not have an enjoyable time. Apologies for the hard mattresses, they are all brand new so have not been slept in yet. Had you mentioned it, we certainly could have changed it for you. Not sure what you mean about being watched or our insincerity - maybe you can pop me an email and let me know. Would like to know which room you were in so we can make it more comfortable. Sadly the water is sometimes a problem - our swimming pool acts as a reservoir if there is a broken pipe in the area. It does take time for the pool to pump through the system and fill all the geysers and toilets, but at least we always have water. On the good side, all the water that you have running while you wait for the hot water, goes into a separate tank and we use that for the garden. Thank you

Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

This was my second visit for work and just like the first visit, the service and warmth of Mel, Tom, and the staff were wonderful. They were even willing to put a warm plate of food in my room after usual dinner hours when I let them know I would be returning very late. Lovely and quiet--a respite after some demanding field work in the interior of the country. This is where I will stay whenever I return.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2016

We spent five nights in all (3+2) at Wendels and thoroughly recommend it. Service is very personal and very helpful. Rooms are fine, with air conditioning and all modcons. Location is very quiet yet convenient. What's not to like?

Room Tip: All rooms overlook a splendid swimming pool.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business