“Busy nice place” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lancer's Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maseru
Lancer's Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Maseru
Antananarivo, Madagascar
“Busy nice place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed for two nights at Lancer's Inn. Overall it is a nice place, the round chalet I stayed was very basic, not a fancy one, but very clean, AC and hot water work, they have got safe in room.
In fact , all the rooms are designed and decorated in different style. The restaurant "Le Rendez-vous" is quite a good place , very busy in the evening, it is good to order before 6:30pm. The only cons with this Hotel is that you have to pay for every extra, including the wifi voucher for internet and the personnel at the reception desk were never kind, they were just on duty. And finally, be aware of ants ...

Room Tip: Never choose the round chalet if you have a kind of allergy
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alain H
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Norwich, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We stayed 3 nights in Lancers Inn. We loved our rondavel, comfortable and clean, located in a well-maintained oasis within the Lancers grounds. The maid service was very good - the laundry service was outstanding. A nice swimming pool. We had an excellent dinner in the outdoor cafe area (chicken curry) - and well as beers with friends in this friendly place. Our reservations were all in order, though I did telephone in advance to confirm. There are shortcomings: the front desk had no maps or other info about Lesotho and at times was impatient with reasonable questions. All-in-all I would much rather be in this Lesotho place than in a Holiday Inn or Casino out from town. That said, the most wonderful part of seeing Lesotho was to get out of Maseru into the countryside. Our drive to TY and seeing the marvelous tapestries being made there at Setsoto Design was a high point. Also the drive to Thaba Bosiu (with very good, but long tour to the top) was very good - most wonderful was driving on from there into the Maluti Mountains with spectacular views of the fertile valley and mountains as we made our way to Ha-Kome (with the caves). The true beauty of Lesotho was here. (I'll also do a separate review about the excellent Maliba Mountain Lodge where we are now.)

Room Tip: I personally love the rondavels - but I here that there are many other good rooms (flats and chalets...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PeterBrink
Guatape, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

We have tried to contact a few places before arriving at Lesotho. However, we didn't get any response from any hotels. Therefore, we drove around to look for one. There were very limited choices and price was towards expensive side for the quality and all. We had a hard time finding the hotel because it's behind a crowded bus stop. We had to ask a few times before finding it. After Looked at a few, Lancer was obviously the best.

It's in a good location close to many shops. There are security all day but buggers still could get into the parking lot.

Room was ok. Very basic and clean. They are putting extras and upgrading the garden I think. It has good potential to be better.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Bobui
Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

I stayed in a room in the main building for five nights. The room was small, but the bathroom was large by comparison. It had a tub and a separate shower stall. There was a swarm of ants in the tub during my whole stay. The hotel couldn't get rid of them, although I'm not sure how hard they tried. Thankfully the ants didn't leave the tub. The furniture in the room was dated but functional. My room faced the parking lot, which was noisy at night and in the morning.

I had mixed experiences at the front desk. Some of the staff were cheerful and helpful, others were indifferent.

Dinners in the restaurant were pleasant, with relatively quick service. I had several good meals. Stay away from the desserts. They aren't worth the extra calories. Breakfast is described as a buffet, but that is a stretch. You get your choice of eggs and toast and then there are a few sad bowls of fruit and cereal to serve yourself from. It's the skimpiest excuse for a breakfast buffet that I've ever seen. I don't know why they limit themselves to doing only eggs. Why not offer french toast or waffles for some variety?

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BamakoGirl
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

I stay at Lancers often for work. It’s great because it’s central and not too expensive. (Be warned if you stay there on the last Friday of the month you will witness pay day behavior with lots of partying in town and car races up the main street!) It is fine for business travel but I think I would be disappointed if I was a tourist.
Service can be slow when busy, but all in all the service and food is adequate.
Lancers is undergoing renovations at the moment so be prepared for a bit of disruption.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business