“A facility with potential”

Mirage Royale Hotel
Mirage Royale Hotel
Ranked #102 of 264 Accra B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2012

THE GOOD:
1) I had a single room that I stayed in for 8 days. The decor is attractive, with a very nice bathroom. Bathrooms are my thing. If a hotel doesn't have a sparkling bathroom, I'm not staying.
2) Reception staff were very courteous, pleasant, and attentive, including a gentleman called Justice, and a woman whose name I didn't get, but she has a passing resemblance to Diana Ross, and I told her so. She was quite pleased.
3) General Manager Ginette C. Symenouh is obviously committed to quality and customer satisfaction and she personally inquired how my stay was going and if I had any issues. I did, and she promptly attended to them.
4) Good pool and patio area for eating or just relaxing. There's a bar with some serious alcoholic beverages for guests who drink (I don't.)
5) Nice breakfast spread
6) Very pleasant dining and room service staff, including a young man by name of Eric and another gentleman who I believe is the supervisor and was always there in the morning to greet guests.

THE NOT SO GOOD:
1) A problem with the shower stall, however, was that the drain was slow. I don't enjoy standing in a puddle of rinse water. An attempt by the plumber to fix it was partially successful, but I think the problem is in the basic design of the drain, the aperture being too small.
2) The closet in my single room didn't have the conventional horizontal metal or wooden bar to suspend the hangers from. There were only three hooks in the ceiling of the closet for the hangers, which I thought was strange. I was told that this was unique to the single rooms. They added 3 more hooks at my request but for the future I believe the general manager is going to have horizontal bars added to all closets.
3) No iron/ironing board, but they will press your clothes for you.
4) Laundry didn't return with my items when they were promised on one occasion, but they were prompt on another occasion.
5) Room service was slow on one occasion, although I have to say I've experienced that in hotels all over the world, not that I'm condoning it.
6) I'm accustomed to seeing a handbook of some kind welcoming the guest, describing the mission statement of the hotel, listing the menu of services, etc. but there wasn't one here at the Mirage. I recommend it because it looks professional. Presentation is everything.
7) TV reception for local Ghanaian channels was bad. I've experienced this in other Ghanaian hotels, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
8) There's some renovation going on so there are some unsightly sections. Even though there are some signs up apologizing for the inconvenience, I would recommend discreetly covering the piled-up furniture that was present near one of the staircases with some kind of tarpaulin so it won't be such an eyesore. At any rate, this is a temporary situation.
9) The Wi-Fi wasn't reliable and I didn't use it. This is an issue that seems to plague many hotels in Ghana. I think it's because there are not enough routers for the size of the facility.

It's a relatively new hotel and so it has great potential to become top-notch. Despite some of the misgivings mentioned above, I do recommend it and I would also return to it if needed on a future visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank KweiQuartey

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Exceptionally helpful staff and management that is pro-active and tries to help the customer.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2012

To my dismay I was glad to see my name boldly written on a beautiful placard decorated with the hotels name with the ever smilling bearer who is supposed to be the driver i guess was waiting for me at the arrival hall just to pick me alone to the hotel. ten minutes later we were at the hotel where i was served with freshly squeezed pineapple juice, the reception i was given alone assures me that i will have a great stay and am so so glad i did. By far the best run hotel in Accra. Smooth, friendly check in. No room hassles - everything went like clockwork. Everyone living in this hotel that i spoke to during the period I was there agreed that the beds were the most comfortable found anywhere in the world! Food was good, great breakfast but the sheer numbers of guests really kept the staff on their toes. All in all a great way to end 3 weeks in Ghana. Definately on my next trip I will be at the mirage, but i hope this great service doesn't change.

Room Tip: Ask for a discount and the General Manager will give you a good deal.
Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I had booked the hotel over the phone and I had specifically asked if it included breakfast and I was told it did. Only to get there and to be told that their double room only had breakfast for one person. The staff we dealt with was very rude and went as far as shouting on us. We kept getting told one thing and all for them to turn around to say another thing. The manager agreed to honour the breakfast but I found her rude and condescending. The bathrooms were extremely mouldy, the water pressure was non existent. We actually did not have water in the bathroom on the second day and the plumber had to be called in. The cleaners always forgot to bring in clean towels and we had to make the calls requesting them. The only plus of this hotel is the fact that it is near the A and C Shopping mall.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank KappaLondon
KathrynSlev, Manager at Mirage Royale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2011

Thank you for choosing Mirage Royale hotel and staying with us earlier in the year. Our hotel take the views of its customers seriously, and is disappointed to read about your "bad stay" with us.
In reading your experience with us, we noticed that there was a misunderstanding that led to this confusion. All our rooms and rates include breakfast. Our Mirage rooms (furnished with a double bed) include breakfast for one and this is clearly stated and explained on arrival. In your instance, you came as a family of three.
Our Hotel operates on the premise that the guest is King at all times and was happy to waive the cost of the 2 extra breakfasts for nights to be spent at the hotel. Our normal check in time is 1500hrs but we accommodated you when you arrived early in the morning.
The hotel keeps a tight maintenance schedule and always has on site maintenance personnel in emergency cases or when complaints are made.
We also provide the standard set of towels, and extra towels are always available on request.
Allow us to always serve you better by returning to visit at any time.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

I stayed for three nights there and had a really good time in the hotel. The standard is really very high (clean, good toilet flash, nice bath tub) and the rooms are pretty big. Any issues arising were dealt with immediately (the air con in the first room was not working so they upgraded me to a better room instantly without making a fuss about it).
The general manager was very helpful - she even offered me her internet stick. The complimentary WiFi is very slow so you can't really work with it. She assured me that they will improve the internet.
The biggest surprise was when I arrived home and found a very friendly email from the MD who read my answers to the questions in the feedback form. She assured me they will deal with everything I have mentioned. Never ever I did receive a direct feedback to my evaluation form in the industrialised world.
So I really can recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There are smokers and no-smokers, 109 is a non smoker and very big and airy
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business