Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

from US$ 84.00
from US$ 105.40
from US$ 1,999.00
More Info
All reviews stalls shiro clothing shop bole addis
Reviewed 11 April 2018

Stopped by the Chiromeda Market after visiting the Merkato. The Chiromeda market is about about 500m long and basically 1 main street and 2 intersecting streets, with stalls/stores on each side selling mostly womens' dresses. So unless you're looking for a dress or to visit a place where people shop for dresses, the Chiromeda market isn't for you. There's an ATM conveniently located toward the end of the market, so no reason to bring extra cash - you can get it if you need it.

Prior to Chiromeda, I had visited the Merkato with Yared (who I recommend as a guide). Yared happily took me to both markets and was quite patient while I took photos - and also taught me a few words in Amharic. He also helped me to track down a dress for a 10-year old girl, something that wasn't easy to do. Equally, he understood what I was looking for in style and helped me to find it in possibly the one store/stall that had something similar.

The Chiromeda market is many many times more manageable than the merkato as it is many many times smaller - and simpler. The Merkato probably isn't as rough/pick-pocket-ish as people say, but then again, I had a guide. In any case, it certainly isn't your local suburban Galleria - and would be challenging to navigate on your own.

On the other hand, you could visit the Chiromeda market on your own, but Chiromeda probably wouldn't be the only thing you did that day - I only had a short time in Addis and am quite happy to have spent the day with Yared - here is his contact info if you can use it (Yayehyradt@yahoo.com +251 963 727 196). We only went to the Merkato and Chiromeda market, but he had offered the other sites as well (museums, etc.).

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 1 March 2018

The market is on the road to Entoto near the Shiro Meda bus station which is well connected to the city as there are express buses to this station from both Bole and Mexico square.

There are a great number of shops selling textiles: traditional Amharic dresses are the most sold item. I am not an expert in textile, but most of the stuff on sale looked cheap and of low quality. Still if you are into finding different traditional patterns, the variety is huge. There are also some shops selling handicrafts and souvenirs.

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank Robert937
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Selection of tourist shops with the usual souvenirs. Nothing special but I did buy two things. For a bigger selection visit the Merkato outdoor market, biggest in Africa.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 30 May 2017

We really only did a drive-by of this market. It is not at all the same as the main Market in Addis, this is more of a roadside market.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed 14 January 2017

I would recommend Chiromeda Market as a great place for Ethiopian clothes. I have also been told the prices here are better than other more touristy locations such as near the post office.

However, when we last visited it was near Christmas so prices were higher than usual. It is nice to have an Ethiopian friend go with you to be sure you are getting a fair price. You will find many beautiful pieces of clothing to choose from and lots of friendly and patient vendors ready to help find the right size.

Date of experience: January 2017