“Beautiful Venue”

Shangri-La Restaurant
Ranked #85 of 188 Restaurants in Harare
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Excellent food, good service! A little on the pricey side, having said this, everything in Zimbabwe is at the moment.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 18 February 2018

First trip to this establishment. Moved first time because indoor table was too near the window and smoke from the verandah smokers was coming in. Moved a second time because the gazebo could not accommodate us as well as a large party. Finally got moved into a private room where we had the waitstaff's undivided attention. However a loud party was in progress next door. Food menu was varied and fresh. Portions were generous.Did not try the dessert. Gin and tonic was served in a large water glass. Ambiance spoilt by the noise level next door and the shifting from one place to another. Would I go again on a Friday? Not sure.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

Out enjoying Sunday afternoon to be left with a headache from the Chinese ladies screening on the top of their voices while video calling on their mobile phones. These happened to be the staff members that sit by the door. If you need a quiet place, this is not for you. Food was ok. The ladies must realize their screening can be heard throughout the entire restaurant. It's obscene!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 31 August 2017

What a unique dining experience. We were invited to dinner with friends and were taken to a private dining room in the back of the restaurant. A delightful selection of authentic Chinese food was spread out before us during the course of the evening and our eyes and taste buds were introduced to amazing cuisine. If any one is looking for a truly amazing experience, try booking a private dinner and ask for their authentic Chinese menu. They are very helpful in explaining dishes and giving you a truly amazing experience.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Shangri-La is a long standing Chinese Restaurant situated in Harare's Northern Suburbs. Restaurants come and go, and sometimes you forget about established restaurants, that are right on your doorstep, because you simply get out of the habit of going, or you have had a bad meal in the past.

In January this year we decided to book a table at Shangri-La, as it did not involve travelling too far afield. With the pothole, and roadblock situation permanently etched in our brains, it felt like a good idea. In February some friends asked me for a restaurant suggestion, I immediately thought about Shangri-La. I went and made a booking on their behalf. It was only then, that I discovered Shangri-La have a quite a few private dining rooms, varying in seating numbers, as well as the main restaurant, which came as quite a surprise to me, as I had no idea the private dining rooms existed. Shangri-La offers these private dining rooms at no extra charge, and are a perfect way to entertain your guests, if you would like a bit of privacy. Last week, I was hosting a birthday celebration, and we decided to book one of Shangri-La's private dining rooms, with a round table that seats 24 guests. I spent some time decorating the venue, and the table with a Chinese theme. The food was delicious, as it always is. However, this week the owner Mrs. Hu's daughter April, who has just returned from Canada, asked me if I would like to join her and her family, together with my family for a meal, as April wanted to revise the menu, and wanted our opinion as Westerners, on authentic Chinese cuisine. I felt a little hesitant at first, not knowing what to expect. Last night we joined April and her family for a meal, and I can honestly say it was a meal that we will all never forget, as long as we live, as it was outstanding. We felt it was an honour to be invited. The Chinese dishes just kept coming, one after the other, all beautifully presented, and with the most beautiful flavours. We felt that had it not been for April's input, we would never had ventured away from our regular Chinese favourites, that we all know and love. I am so happy we were treated to this experience, as it has opened our eyes, to whole new Chinese dining experience. I would like to share the photographs of the food with you, as apart from a few Chinese staples, we will definitely start broadening our horizons, and look at ordering from their authentic Chinese menu. ShangriI-La is a restaurant not to be missed, I am sure you won't regret it, and with April's energy, and new fresh take on the restaurant, exciting things will start happening there this year. Our compliments to the chef. Watch this space.....

Date of visit: July 2017