Riad Dar Eliane
Riad Karmela(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$ 105
US$ 101
  • Breakfast included
Adam Park Marrakech Hotel & Spa(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$ 79
US$ 512
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthree nightstaxiguideroofdesert
Reviewed 5 April 2016

We book 3 rooms on this riad for our group trip to marrakech. After a delayed flight, we reached this riad at about 11 pm to be told that there is a double booking in the rooms and they have given 2 of 3 rooms away to other guests. Obviously we are not pleased. We were told that they have emailed us this change earlier in the evening but we were on the plane at that time!

We were send away to Riad Oulaya (15 minutes trek at midnight though the closed souks) which is another riad owned by the same man. Riad oulaya was not the riad we expected it to be with tired decor, broken floor tiles, blocked shower and broken shower head. No financial compensation offered, no gestures of apologies at all. We think that we are a one off case but upon reading previous review this had happened to other guests on other occasion as well.

I am not sure of the other quality of this riad as we did not actually end up staying here but the management of this riad is appaling! Be careful if you book a room in this riad because you might not get what you book for.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2016 via mobile

We made our booking for this hotel several weeks before our intended visit. My husband and I were on a driving holiday incorporating Morocco and chose this romantic Riad to meet up with friends staying in the city, and spend the new year. Our choice was based on reviews that we had read and that it advertised free parking.
How wrong could we be?
We made several phone calls (at added expense) to the 'owner' asking for directions, to be told that the signal was too bad and he could not hear us. We had no difficulty making other calls, so assume that this was not down to our phone. We finally gave up by paying a guide (more expense)to direct us. It took approximately two hours from the time of our first call, to the time of arrival, which included finding parking (yet further added cost)which was not available. We then had to make the extensive journey through both the market and the souk.
When we presented at Riad Dar Eliane, my husband and I were met by the 'owner' and given tea whilst we admired our luxurious surroundings and made note of the framed reviews scattered around the building.
Tea finished, we were then advised that we would not be staying at the Riad of our choice or indeed on our booking, but in one of the owners other properties, we were finally marched back through the Souk to the Riad Oulaya, where we were handed over like some kind of trading commodity.
The Riad Oulaya, was a very tired little Riad, not entirely unpleasant, but not quite the luxury we had signed up for.
The decor in the room was not dissimilar in style to our orginal choice of Riad, but appeared to be some kind of budget version.
I do not wish to be unpleasant about our new host nor the surroundings in which We found ourselves ( after all- where else would one go at 8.30pm on New Years Eve?!)
However, a little honesty on behalf of the businesses might have been a more appropriate route to take and most certainly not acceptable practice in the UK
With regards to the Riad itself, yes, it was tired and shabby. On the plus side we were served bread, coffee and some of the best orange juice in Marrakesch for breakfast.
The Riad served its purpose for 2 of the 3 nights that I had booked for ( I checked out before the third due to my disappointment at the deception)
In summary, had we have been advised that our choice of accommodation was fully booked, we would at least have had the option of booking elsewhere. Had we been made aware of the difficulties that we might encounter and the additional costs incurred, we would likely have chosen to spend the money on a hotel and saved ourselves the hassle.
All in all, I am aware that I am reviewing a property in which I did not stay, but would like to warn other travellers of the deception that occurs.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2016

This is a really beautiful riad in a great location for seeing the medina. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated and it has a lovely roof terrace. In theory, it's a perfect place to stay.

However, it was let down by a few things. The bedding & towels didn't smell very clean and the main issues were that it was extremely cold and dark. This wasn't such a problem for me, but I went with my mother who is 70 and it made things very difficult for her and the staff didn't do much to help. Even though it was up to 28 degrees outside during the day, the temperature in the rooms got down to 5 degrees at night which isn't really acceptable - they should have the option of a heater if needed. The lack of light also caused a big problem as my mother wears contact lenses but couldn't see properly in the bathroom. She ended up accidentally not cleaning one of her lenses properly and got conjunctivitis. The staff were very helpful getting a doctor out to see her but it probably wouldn't have happened if they'd put a few extra lamps around the place when we asked for more lights!

I think if I stayed here with friends, it would be great, but on this occasion I certainly wish we'd been staying somewhere more comfortable and accommodating.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and love it. The place is steps away from the local fresh markets which is full of vibes. The location is also near Masdra Ben Youssef, Maison de la Photographie and the spice market. We like to go exploring the souks in the morning and come back for a nap and afternoon tea at the riad. The staff is helpful and generous.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2015

Beautiful rooms and helpful staff. The raid is located down a narrow alley and is difficult to locate without help. Rooms are very comfortable and beautifully decorated, but the water pressure in the shower is very low. When checking out a Hotel tax of around $3.75 a person per day was added that we weren't expecting. Overall we were pleased with the Riad and our stay here.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family