“A beautiful read with great service”
Review of Riad Ilayka

Riad Ilayka
Ranked #86 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 12 March 2016

My girlfriend and I stayed for 2 nights in this lovely riad. It was our first time coming to Marrakech and our experience was made much smoother by the friendly, knowledgable staff and the peaceful atmosphere that engulfs you once you step through the door.

Upon arrival from the airport, we were dropped off at the main square by a taxi the hotel had kindly arranged for us. This takes around 20mins. Cars are unable to drive down the small alleyways which one needs to navigate in order to reach the riad, and so one of the hotel's staff - Abdul met us and escorted us through the crowds. It is an absolute maze, even for the most confident navigator, and without Abdul's help we would never have found the way.

In Marrakech, you quickly learn that you cannot ask anyone for directions. In fact, so much as look lost and people will appear from nowhere and barrage you with anything they think will appeal to the bewildered tourist. Accept their help though is foolish and you will be faced with a high fee. Nothing is given for free here - everyone is trying to make money. The only people you should ever trust here apart from hotel staff or a paid guide (if you have booked one) are the police/military.

I digress - from the main square, it takes around 10mins walking to reach the hotel if you know where you're going. When we arrived, we were greeted by the owner Nadia and offered freshly squeezed juice and some biscuits, which were very much needed, followed by a quick tour of the riad.

It is a very lovely place to relax in, if you have the time. It is furnished to a superb standard - with lovely paintings, impressive, antique looking furniture, and a combination of natural and artificial lighting. To give an idea of the layout - there is a large central courtyard area surrounded by lovely greenery and a water feature. On the first floor are the standard rooms and on the second floor the suites. There is a roof terrace where you can sunbathe or have breakfast, and atop this a gazebo area where you can take in the rooftop sights of Marrakech.

The terrace also offers a hammam room and a jacuzzi however we did not use these. If you are wondering what room to book, I would recommend the suites. Apart from being beautifully decorated with what appears to be genuine antique moroccan furniture, there is less noise on the second floor, and you get nice extras like a private terrace and staircase.

We dined at the hotel just once for dinner, which was nice. The best meal we had however was in Nomad, a nice authentic place about 7mins walking distance from the Riad, recommended to us by the hotel staff.

If I had to find one negative, it is that they do NOT carry adapters for UK plugs. Be aware of this and buy one before you come out. We were lucky enough that one of the staff members had an iPhone charger otherwise we would have been in trouble.

That being said, a beautifully decorated Riad, made 10/10 by Nadia and the team.

I want to commend Ibrahim in particular - we felt he had a real passion to please people. He offered to walk us to wherever we needed to go more than once, which was a superb help, and overall he is just a lovely guy.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
ILAYKA I, ASSISTANTE DIRECTION at Riad Ilayka, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2016

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback according to your stay in our riad and in Marrakech in general

Your notes and your thank our team are well noted

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed 29 February 2016

Beautiful riad, not too big, very helpful staff (and Moroccan owned - many riads aren't), very central location, absolutely delicious food served with elegance and care, roof terrace for sitting in the sun. finitely highly recommended. Room lighting dim so take a torch if you want to read in bed!

Room Tip: Some rooms are on ground floor - possibly nicer to open onto gallery on 1st floor.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
ILAYKA I, ASSISTANTE DIRECTION at Riad Ilayka, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2016

Dear quest,

Thank you for your wonderful comment, we are glad to satisfy you and give you good memories from the riad and from Marrakech

Waiting to receive you again very soon why not, please accept our sincere greetings

Reviewed 27 February 2016 via mobile

First and for most, if you're hesitant about booking here, don't be! Do it!!! I spent one night at Riad Ilayka a few nights ago with my husband, while in Marrakesh and I still cannot get over the feeling I had while there. The hospitality was exceptional! Nassira and Mustafa and another sweet gentleman whom I regret not getting his name, welcomed us and made sure we felt at home. Ibrahim, another gentleman at the Riad also attended to our needs and was very accommodating when we had a question for him late in the night.
After an afternoon of exploring the city my husband and I returned to the Riad in hopes to possibly have lunch. Nadia (who might've been the Riad's owner) prepared a lovely lunch for us which we had on the roof of the Riad under the private gazebo. She made sure we weren't in need of anything and insisted on letting her or any of the staff know if we had any questions or needed anything.
That evening we had a private dinner of chicken & lemon Tagine on the terrace which was very delicious.
Our room was nicely furnished in authentic Moroccan crafted furniture which made it feel very exotic.
The cleanliness was top notch, as that is always my number one concern when I travel.
Overall, I 100% recommend this Riad to anyone visiting Marrakesh. I still think about it and compare it to the other places I've visited in Morocco. I can hands down say that this place had the most positive impact on me! Thank you to everyone at Riad Ilayka!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CFAbdallah
ILAYKA I, ASSISTANTE DIRECTION at Riad Ilayka, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2016

Dear Christina ,

It was a great pleasure to receive your feed back about your stay in our riad,

We still want to see you several times for a longer stay to make you live an exeption holiday in the most beautiful Moroccan city Marrakech.

Thank you for your visit and your beautiful words that are a real motivation to all our team

Reviewed 3 February 2016

Stayed in riad ilayka in July 2014. It was my first time staying in a riad type accommodation and I couldn't have been more impressed with the rooms and they way staff done everything they could to cater to our needs. A great location the staff meet us at our transfer on the first day to show us the best route to get from the main square to our hotel which was really helpful and we never got lost once in the 4 days we stayed here! One of the evenings when one of the guys was finishing work he walked with us to the main square and even show us the best stalls to eat at! Such wonderful hospitality and amazingly decorated and clean rooms I would stay here every time I come to Marrakech!!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank AlisonCatherine
ILAYKA I, ASSISTANTE DE DIRECTION at Riad Ilayka, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2016

Dear Catherine,

It is with a great pleasure that we have received your feed back according your stay in Riad ILAYKA.

Your comments are a motivation for our staff who thanks you and wishes to see you the rather possible in order to make you live a new experience full of beautiful memories.

The Direction

Reviewed 21 January 2016

The location was close to market and easy to find. A wonderful haven after a busy day out. The room was clean comfortable and all facilities available. The staff were always on hand, polite and gave us the best of service nothing was too mich for them. The ambience was magical. The breakfast plentiful and varied. Great library to retreat for quite time or card time with friends.One of our friends took ill while staying there and the management could not do more for us so helpful and I thank them sincerely for this. Recommend as a great place to stay and receive the best hospitality.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs suitable if you have trouble climbing stairs. Breakfast served upstairs or downstai...
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lnewson20
ILAYKA I, Assistante de direction at Riad Ilayka, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2016

Dear Inewson,

Thank you to take time and share your feedback, we are pleased that you

appreciated Riad IlAYKA.

Our staff has only one purpose that is to welcome you warmly and make you feel at

home.

thank you again for your kind comments , we are waiting for you next holiday.