“Perfect Room, but Everything Else Imperfect”

Palmeraie Village Residence
Ranked #108 of 299 Speciality Lodging in Marrakech
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I traveled for business, but took my family with me, so stayed at Palmeraie Village so that we could have more space than a regular hotel room. The one-bedroom apartment was well-sized, well-decorated, and furnished nicely. The hotel provided a baby crib on request. The AC worked so well that we were freezing and had to turn the thermostat up several times. The bed was extremely comfortable, the room dark and quiet at night, and the showers hot with good water pressure.

However, we arrived at the room without bringing any food with us. It turned out that the pool and restaurant near our room were under construction, so it was a hot, 15-minute walk to the pool and restaurant that were open. It took nearly an hour to get food at the restaurant. There was nowhere to buy milk or simple basics, as you'd expect with apartment hotels that have kitchens. Service was OK, but slow both at the reception desk and restaurant. And when I tried to call the reception desk several times, no one answered.

I am planning a trip in December with a large group and might stay here again because of the nice rooms, and the size of my group. (Otherswise, I'd stay in a riad.) If I do, I'll pack basic food for the stay, though.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank LizonMorton
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 June 2010

As a regular traveller to places outside Europe, this has been the worst hotel experience ever.

Room:
Room size is perfect.
Lighting is scarce...
Not enough light to read a book at night…. Only one small lamp in bedroom
Terrace has 1 metal chair only, no cushions...
Towels are a challenge. We received no towels after the room was cleaned. The maid was most apologetic but obviously no towels were available.
Front desk staff does not answer phone… they also advised me to call the hotel manager on his mobile phone in case I needed towels in my room….
Amenities are not replenished on a daily basis.
The light bulb in the shower kept blowing. I called several times and waited a day to get it replaced..
During the night the water system in the main bathroom makes a terrible noise. This happens 3-4 times per night. It sounds like the pipes are shaking. This also means that we did not sleep 1 night without interruption.
When I wanted to watch television I opened the TV cabinet in the bedroom to find it empty....

Pool:
No pool towels available.
I called reception who told me to ask the lifeguard... he has no towels.
People have been screaming and yelling around the pool for towels, sun beds (not enough) and umbrellas...
The lifeguard is hardly ever present. He is surrounded by 3-4 guys and they disappear in turns in a hole in the ground. I suppose this is where the water pump installation is. They re-appear again after an hour or so.
With the lifeguard being absent most of the time, I wonder what would happen if a child drowns in the pool.
The tables and chairs around the pool are never cleaned and are filthy.
Lunch was so busy one day that guests had to wait being served as the management team was occupying the largest table available…..

Wi-Fi:
No Wi-Fi available. Staff kept telling me that it is not working and will tell me when it is working again... I am still waiting.

Breakfast:
Staff not wearing proper uniforms etc.
On one day breakfast was such a disaster that staff ended up fighting with guests…..
No management presence...it was a scandal! We had no breakfast as we could only find a half eaten roll and a half cooked pain au chocolat... we paid for the breakfast though!

Staff:
Friendly in general and willing to please.
Nobody wears name badges...so difficult to recognise.
Some of the reception staff should be replaced asap. They are rude and clearly not capable for the job. During an evening when I had been waiting 20 minutes for the shuttle to arrive she refused to take any action. Your bellboys were so embarrassed!
Transfer to airport was forgotten by reception staff…..

Simply amazing…..

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 188644Traveller
Reviewed 1 June 2010

A quandry. We had an apartment for 4 which was lovely. The pool area is perfect - as good as you'll see. It is part of a resort just outside Marrakech which has many hotels, a supermarket etc and the setting along a windy road is actually very picturesque, dotted with camels.

However, I'm not sure I've ever received worse service. We had 3 towels for 4 people and it took 6 requests (plus a number of unanswered phonecalls to reception, which is a drive's length away) before they came. When someone did come, he was empty handed and was there to count our towels!! "Look, you have towels" he said, leaving the room! This is just an example of the service we received all weekend - they couldn't do less for you, including at the poolside restaurant where the waiter was unbelievably unpleasant.

The girl at reception appeared polite and friendly on the face of it, but we had some very simple questions such as what time the resaurant closed. We were told 10.30, we went at 9.55 and it was shut - we went to ask her about other options and she denied it was closed!! She then listed a few other options which we then found out were also closed. We got a pizza hut from town. Every question we had was unanswered or ridiculously vague (Do you provide room service? 'Sometimes') and she always gave the impression she couldn't get rid of you quick enough.

We got a half-price deal so the cost was about £80 a night. I wouldn't have been happy paying the full price, but for this, I do think it's worth it due to the relaxed setting. It'll set you back about a tenner in a taxi to Marrakech too, but it's quite nice to be somewhere so peaceful and pop into the craziness of the médina.

If you get a deal, go for it. If you pay full price, be prepared to demand better service!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 2Cam4Sure
Reviewed 13 January 2010

We have just arrived back from a short stay in Marrakech at the Palmeraie Village and found the whole stay excellent.
As a family of five we often have difficultly finding accommodation to suit but the apartments were great.Clean,roomy and very safe(roll down shutters on every window) a little tired around the edges but overall great apartments.The pools on the complex are fab and one is heated-a free shuttle bus drives you to & from the sister Golf Palace Hotel with bowling,several restaurants and a spa-also from there is a free shuttle into The Medina (main square)and back 4 times a day which saves you a lot of taxi rides!
Nothing was too much problem for the staff & they were all friendly-we even were taken for a camel ride which was one of the childrens highlights all be it on a sort of gypsy site we haggled for a bit and managed a 10min ride for 4 of us at £40!! We had a laugh and it was certainly cheaper than going to the Sahara!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family