“Nice but needs better service”
Review of Palais Jena & Spa

Palais Jena & Spa
Reviewed 26 November 2015

Palais Jena & Spa is a nice and very clean hotel. Staff are friendly but they really need to improve on the services side.

I stayed here for three nights with a friend and we found the service to be a little on the down side. The language barrier didn't help. We had a Groupon voucher which stated it included things that we did not get such as tea and cakes, an alcoholic drink. It also included a srub and massage each which they point blank denied even after showing the voucher and told us that they meant 20% off the spa services. I did complain to Groupon who refunded me £15 but that started off a little bad but we decided not to let it ruin our stay.

That night we had food in the hotel's restaurant which was slightly on the awkward side to say the least! We had booked half board and explained this to the waiter and the reception desk and asked where we need to go to eat and were told the restaurant. Once we were seated we told the waiter again that we had the half board option and he handed us the menu. Once we ordered and had eaten he came to us expecting payment and when we told him again that it we had half board and dinner is included there seemed to be some argument between the chef, waiter and the man at reception. It got very awkward very fast. Once they had finished (10 minutes later), the waiter tried very hard to make things normal again and offered us dessert. Which reminds me that this hotel has a bad cat problem! I'm an animal lover and I don't mind lots of cats but it's a very horrible feeling when you're trying to eat dinner and the cats come and watch you and they keep meowing so you can't even ignore them!

Our room was nice, big and clean. It really was lovely. Our terrace had no table and one of the two chairs had no seat cushion. We told the reception desk and they bought over a table for us- no issues. Found out on the second night that the hair-dryer in the room didn't work but we didn't want to move after having already unpacked.

Breakfast was nice- the same thing every morning with the exact same quantity. There is no water included in the breakfast or dinner- we were charged extra for any water we ordered.

This was also not the breaking point of the stay. What really put a downer on the stay was right at the end when checking out and paying for the spa treatments we had they insisted that we do not get the 20% off that they said we would instead of the massage. This was where I almost had to argue with the lady at reception until she went to speak with someone and came back to tell us that it was fine to pay the discounted amount. It was shocking and really left a negative lasting impression.

To sum up the hotel itself is very cute and is clean. The downside is that it is pretty far out of town- around 25mins away so the taxi payment there and back a couple of times a day added up. Make sure you only pay MED 70 max going and coming!

There is a restaurant and nice bar (a bit pricey for Marrakech) right next door to the restaurant so there is always food when needed. The food is ok but the atmosphere and the friendliness of the owner is what made us keep going back. The music was very good too!

Would I go back and stay here again? I would if the service was a bit better and there wasn't such a big language barrier. Would be nice if they had things written in English too! But as it's rather far out and the service wasn't quite there I will not be going again.

I'd recommend staying in a Riad- I think this place has so much potential but lacks the atmosphere so is very quiet and not lively at all. This could be because we went in November and it's not peak season though!

Room Tip: Stay in a room close to the reception area for free wifi in your room!
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank kush b

Reviewed 24 November 2015 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in November I am a frequent visitor to Marrakech ...and it's the first time I stayed here ..the room on the ground floor was spot on I had great wifi signal ..the pool was quiet so good to be able to use it in peace the breakfast is average ..but the best thing is the staff here especially the guys in reception in the evenings MBAYR and his colleague were excellent who also spoke very good English and helped me with everything I required ..I will be returning in Feb and can't wait

Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2015

Found Palais Jena a real quiet and welcome resting place outside of the town. Access to Marrakech is a 10 minute taxi journey or a local bus can be taken.
I found the choice of food a little limited to start with but this was due to the fact that none of our group eat meat but the staff were very helpful and started offering us many more choices all beautifully cooked and presented.
The room was lovely and clean as was the rest of the building and pool area and the staff friendly.
Yes you do have to like cats to stay here - however I do and they were not overun with them and they were fed by the staff each morning.
I would stay here again and was so glad that I chose to stay here rather than in the centre of Marrakech.
I find the previous review hard to understand as we must have stayed at a similar time but for the price that we paid to go here it was very good value and in a country where some people struggle to eat not having diet fizzy drinks surely is not a big issue :-)

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2015

I am truly surprised by the great reviews there are on trip advisor about this Boutique hotel. Beautiful and clean yes. However apart from a small handful of over worked team members this hotel is very badly run. I think a big part is due to the fact I stayed out of season. However, in my stay of two weeks I was moved to palais clementina which was a disgrace. And in in my stay at jena I was given raw fish , had no hot water for three nights and no electricity for a night. The attitude of most of the management is to pass the blame onto others and embarrass them in front of guests rather than find a solution.Most of the time if you ask for a drink or meal you feel as though you are bothering some waiters who spend most of there time on the telephone. Night reception are amazing and extremely kind, as well as the chauffeur and girls at the spa. Lack of resources too. No diet fizzy pop....... No tonic water but there was gin. There was just no logic to on how the hotel was run.
An advantage of tourists was definitely abused by the hotel. It's not far from the city but difficult to get there for a reasonable price. There is a bus if you are confident taking it. Day reception and the team would quote the same price to go to carrefour in the day to the city at night. Abusive.

Sadly I am afraid that the distress I felt at my time at palais jena I do not believe I would return to marrakech . If I did I or I had friends that wanted to visit I would say pay more and stay in hivernage . You are not far from everything great night life to casinos new town and old town. Plus it's super chic..
Also randomly it says that the hotel has a gym..... There was no gym facilities. And the package I had paid for via teletext was not confirmed with the hotel. I had to negotiate my package as soon as I arrived. Ridiculous

I really hope my true and honest review is helpful. If you do decide to go to palais jena make sure it is in season

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2015

Stayed there for 3 nights. The location and property itself is beautiful. Service and amenities are wonderful. Amazing atlas mountains views. yet close to all the action of the souks and medina. Ahmed and his team are amazing and will truly make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Garden view room on the second floor
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gabriel T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marrakech
1.3 km away
0.7 km away
Dar Tougga
Dar Tougga
#116 of 1,186 in Marrakech

Been to Palais Jena & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK