All reviewsthe main squaresarah roomkasbah areabeautiful riadroof terracefrench ladymint teathe hustle and bustleatlas mountainsfresh fruitsitting areaorange treesevery morningan oasisquiet streeta wonderful stayhome from home
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This is the second time we have stayed in Riad Orangers D'Alilia. Joelle is a very warm and welcoming host, offering useful tips, information and help with making bookings. The breakfast was consistently good and lived up to expectations from our previous visit - everything is homemade, fresh and beautifully presented. We stayed as a group of seven people having booked four of the rooms and all had a lovely time. The Riad is ideally located for walking around old Marrakech and we would rather be here than in a more 'soulless' westernised hotel outside the city walls. It is informal and relaxed and we enjoyed cooling our feet and bodies in the plunge pool in the inner courtyard after exploring in temperatures of 40C, and also relaxing on the roof terrace in between bouts of exploring and bargaining in the Souks. If you want 5 star luxury and a swimming pool this will not be for you; if you want something relaxed, simple, excellent value for money, in the heart of things yet peaceful and charming then this will tick all of those boxes. We will be returning again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

We were so very excited to stay here having read the reviews. The riad was very tranquil and beautiful, well maintained, clean with friendly staff but I am sorry to say that our stay here was disapointing and didn't reflect the reviews we had read.

There is no dening that this riad is a tranquil escape from the hectic streets of Marrakech, possibly too quite for us. We found the rooms were small, (we had a superior room) they lacked privacy and we felt like we had to whisper all the time as we felt other guests could hear us etc. We felt we were living in someone else's house at times which was odd. We wanted to get into the real culture of Marrakech which is why we chose to stay in a riad, we knew the set up and what to expect so I guess the reaility just wasn't for us. We didn't expect the same conveniences as a hotel such as room service or a bar but for us we found even asking for a drink was awkward and we certainly didnt experience the amazing hospitality we had read about.

The riad was based in the kasbah in the medina in the old town for us the riad was miles from anywhere we wanted to eat or spend any time, even the main square is a 20 minute walk.

I was SO looking forward to the breakfasts after raving reviews but for me, (not a particularly fussy eater) they were not good, in fact I couldn't eat them, there was plenty of food and a variety but I couldn't eat any of it, one day my milk was off and the eggs were not cooked. I guess we were just unlucky. We did try to tell the waitesses but as we didn't speak french it was very difficult to get across what we wanted to say. We also ate in the evening in the riad and I feel so very bad in saying this but the food was awful I have never eaten such chewy overcooked chicken in all my life.

All in all the stay was satisfactory but in our opinion massively over hyped by the reviews on here. We didn't feel this stacked up to be #17 of the best places to stay in Marrakech.

• Stayed: May 2012
8  Thank Weluv2tvl
joetlo, Propriétaire at Riad les Orangers d'Alilia Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2012

I thank you a lot to have chosen the Riad Les Orangers d'Alilia, an hostel where I live in permanence to welcome my customers. Indeed, it's a home typically moroccan with 6 bed-rooms around a patio. In consequence we have to respect the wellness of everyone in keeping a discretion. You have asked a night in my absence a drink to my moroccan's cleaning woman who doesn't speak english and she didn't understand. I have adviced different moroccan's restaurants that I know, I remember the Kosybar at 10 minutes in walk in the Mellah, Alfassia which is in the new city and another address... Indeed, the Riad is located in the Medina, the district of the Kasbah, an authentic district secured and very popular very close of the Palais Royal. It's possible that you didn't feel an interest for this beautiful place.
About the breakfast, I am really surprised by your disagreeable commentaries and I won't range over on the details. I am persuaded in reading the very good commentaries that I receive about my breakfast that I prepare early the morning. That is the same thing about my dinner that I self. I think simply you don't like moroccan cook and I am really sorry.
It's really surprising that you finish to conclur that your stay was satisfying if I consider the different bad commentaries that you have written.
I finish by tell to you it's really pity to you that you didn't known appreciate your stay.
It's necessary to relax you and to go at the discovery of different culture and customs to be able to like Marrakech. What pity that we wasn't be able to speak together during our meet.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

We arrived, unsure of what to expect in this hectic city. We were treated to a very warm and hospitable welcome by Joelle and Lauren and would recommend this accommodation wholeheartedly! Riad les Orangers d'Alilia is tastefully furnished and is a perfect base for exploring the city. Our hosts could not do more to make our five-night stay comfortable and their recommendations for the various sights, restaurants and experiences were second-to-none. We stayed in Noa Room and, although it was not the biggest, we really liked it. Thank you, Joelle and Lauren. Valerie and Barry, Yorkshire

1  Thank 725Valerie
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Fantastic little Riad hidden away in a little street in the Kasbah district. As per many of the other reviews on here, we really could not fault it. The Riad is beautifully kept, and the rooms cosy and furnished with very comfortable beds covered with high quality bed linens.
From our early arrival to our departure, Joelle and her staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful.Breakfasts are awesome and will set you up for a day exploring the souks.All in all, staying here was a wonderful experience and would hightly recommend if you are taking a trip to Marrakech

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Lovely little Riad, Joelle and Lauren are perfect hosts, and have done there best to make our stay as comfortable as possible, the Riad is very Chic and set out in a French / Moroccan style, The rooms are clean and comfortable, breakfast is probably the best we've had anywhere, with lots of variety.
There is also a sun terrace, with sun beds, which has a secluded shaded area where you can just chill out away from the direct sun.

Would highly recommend this Riad for its style, hospitality, and comfort.

Barbara & Richard April 2012