All reviews mint tea and biscuits bottled water min walk yogurt beautiful riad roof terrace jamila suite alleyway hammam bearings taxis kasbah el
Reviewed 9 October 2011

very quiet, beautyfully decorated, clean, very friendly staff, very good food, marvellous terrace on the roof, good value for money

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Hilskjef
Jacques33700, Propriétaire at Riad Alegria, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2016

It 's more than 5 years that you were with us in Marrakech at Riad Alegria. Thanks for your comments at this time. As the owner of the Riad, I am always very happy to read nice comments. If you feel to come back, please don't hesitate and contact us directly (+33614466706). I will personnally be very pleased for your new stay with us to offer you a real welcome cocktail.
All my best regards Jacques THERY (+33614466706)

Reviewed 28 March 2011

I had purposefully wanted to stay south of the Medina near the Melah and was aware that Alegria would be a 5-10 minute walk to the place Jemaa el Fna but this shouldnt put anybody off, its a very easy uncomplicated walk.
Alegria has been beautifully and tastefully restored by Marie Christina. I stayed 2 nights at the beginning of my trip and 1 night at the end, so I enjoyed two different rooms and must say that both were a very good size, extremely comfortable and offered large bathrooms with a good water supply.

Mohamad was extremely helpful and escorted me through the labarynth of the Kasbah to Kasbah La Rotonda an Italian/Moroccan restaurant, so well hidden that a guide is essential

They arranged my pickup and drop off to the airport for euro 20 which was very efficiently done.

Definately would return.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank pip45

Hello Pip
All my best regards Jacques THERY

Reviewed 15 April 2010

My friends and i shared a suite for 5 nights and had a wonderful time. Beautiful room, fab rooftop terrace where we enjoyed breakfast every morning, excellent service the staff couldn't do enough for us. Marie Christine gave us a tour of the area when we first arrived and helped us get the most out of each day we spent in Marrakech with great restaurant recommendations. She even helped us haggle at the souks! We also ate a delicious meal on the first night and enjoyed many an appertif! The location is also great as not in the hussle and bussle of the main square but easy walking distance. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this stylish riad.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I must confess I'm a traveller who usually prefers the anonymity of a large hotel to the sometimes stifling atmosphere of smaller establishments. However, Riad Alegria is an exception to the rule. Our hosts went out of their way to ensure that we were well looked after at every juncture. Marie Christine even provided me with a brief guided tour upon arrival so as to ensure I had my bearings, and she made a huge effort to make us feel welcome despite the language barrier. In fact the entire staff went above and beyond the hospitality and service that was required of them, which ensured that we had a very enjoyable stay.

The accommodation itself was finished to a very high standard with very comfortable beds, large flat screen TVs and very efficient (and quiet) air conditioning. My only reservation was that as a sunlight-starved Brit the rooms are very dark. That said I’m sure that’s a blessing in the hotter summer months.

The breakfasts and food in general at the accommodation were also fantastic. Not least because every member of the team went out of their way to ensure that my somewhat irritating diabetic dietary requirements were catered for without complaint, (something which a lot of vastly more expensive hotels in which I have stayed have been unable to accommodate without a lots of grumbling!)

I would not hesitate to recommend the Riad. Although perhaps not for young female single travellers, as the dimly lit alley way leading to the Riad can seem a little menacing at nights, but I think that's a feature of most inner city Riads in Marrakech. Thanks for the suberb hospitality!

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 7 November 2009

We booked out riad alegria for a week and had a wonderful time. We could not have found it on our own as it is located down a narrow laneway in the medina, but a prebooked pick up from the station made our arrival very easy. Marie Christine and Francois were wonderful hosts and could not have been more helpful, especially when a few of us became ill. They also helped us arrange plans for travel to other parts of Morocco. Their staff were also lovely - a pot of mint tea was never far away! I was very sad to have to leave - it was like leaving home.

On our first morning we were taken for a tour of the local area to find the taxi stand, atm/bank, restaurants, supermarket etc and how to get to place jemma al fina.

The riad is not the traditional kind you find decorated with ornate plasterwork, tiles and cedar. It is quite modern and beautifully furnished. Each bedroom is spacious and individually decorated. The rooftop terrace with the plunge pool and sunloungers is a great retreat after a hot and busy day spent exploring Marrakech. It is also a great spot from which to see the storks nesting on the wall of the palais badis.

The food was great - best breakfasts we had in Morocco. Evening meals can be prepared for you as long as you ask 1 day ahead. All meals are freshly prepared and delicious. A good selection of local wines and beers and also available.

My only advice to travellers is go armed with some french - even basic high school french will be a great help.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business