All reviews beautiful hotel rooftop restaurant powder room ambassador suite old palace sitting room large suite the general manager moroccan palace luxury hotel moroccan cuisine comfortable beds panoramic view special thanks the hotel manager three nights tile work
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our personal travel agent booked a couple of nights in this hotel. I have read many of the comments but it comes down to expectations. If your expectations are 5 Star, this will disappoint except for the awesome LOOK of the property.

If internet connectivity is important than do NOT stay here. There are other comments about this and nothing has changed. We complained and they said that a technician would 'look into it' but nothing changed. Download speeds were 0.15MB and upload 0.09MB. This is worse than Dialup speeds. It would often drop as well. In a country where international data plans are extremely expensive and using wifi in public restaurants is risky, using the hotel internet is the only way to catch up on emails, web browse for news, stream news channels you can't get in Morocco, upload and downoad trip photos etc. 5 Star hotels should have a minimum of 1.5M Down, .5M up. Most have several MB both ways. I know the hotel has the band width because speed tests would often peak at 10 to 15MB down and then quickly throttle back to slow. That means they are rationing the speed to save money. Not appropriate. This is the same in the public space as well as our room, but the room (Room 4) by the pool was worse and almost no connection from our bed due to the placement of the router and thick walls.

The first night, our shower was room temperature (i.e. cold). We notified the desk and by the next morning, it was very hot. I would test on check-in so that there is time to fix the problem before you need the shower.

The staff did not understand English as well as a 5 Star hotel should. This was noticed with several members of the front desk, restaurant and spa.

We did a Hamam which was a 'spa' Hamam. Steam Bath, Spa type of wash down and then full body massage. It was very nice and relaxing, but not traditional. BTW, I thought that the wash and massage was going to be done by a man (I'm a man) but it was done by a woman, which is fine and was very nice, but it was unexpected. From and expectation, it should be billed as a Spa Hamam.

Finally, it is far from everything and not walkable. We had a full time driver so that wasn't an issue, but if you don't have your own personal driver, it may not be the best place to stay.

All of these problems are fixable, but they have been mentioned in some past comments and it appears that the hotel is not able or interested in changing them.

I would look for another place to stay if any of this issues are important to your stay.

P

1  Thank pdnunley
Reviewed 13 November 2018

There is only one word to describe this hotel - perfect. I am a bit hesitant to give this review because I fear that the demand will be so great that I will have a hard time in the future to get a reservation. In my opinion, this is the only place to stay in Fes. The staff were absolutely great, responding to each request promptly and graciously. The restaurant and bar were absolutely great. The hotel, itself, is beautiful and majestic. The rooms are large and well appointed. The general manager was always visible and made sure that all guests were taken care of. The location is also great, right beside the Medina. Every aspect of this hotel experience far exceeded any of our expectations.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2018

This was my second visit to Fes and having heard the amazing reviews with regards to the Palais Faraj I really wanted to see if the fuss about this 19th Century hotel was worthy. I previously stayed at the Palais Sheherazade & Spa and this was such a beautiful experience.

On arriving at the grand Palais Faraj I instantly felt I was in for a treat, from the grandness of the hotel to the beautiful design. The door men at the front gate was so helpful and feel that they should be acknowledged. From helping with the luggage to making sure I knew where I was going they are so helpful.
Once inside I was greeted by a calming very smart Hatim (chief of reception) who may I add was excellent throughout my stay at the hotel. Unfortunately, whilst checking in I had an issue with my bank card due to being outside the UK. I started to feel a tad stressed and Hatim reassured me not to worry and kept me calm. Hatim always ensured guests were ok and really made an effort to talk with me and ensure that I had everything I needed. Hatim is a real credit to the hotel and adds to the hotel customer experience. Whilst on that note this can be said about the other members of the reception team. Nezha was so friendly and helpful with booking my Hamman and always greeted me with a smile, whilst Mehdi ensured that on my check out everything ran smoothly and provided me with all the necessary documents including my boarding pass! The whole team really go above and beyond to make sure that I had an excellent stay and so I thank them all.

The hotel grounds are simply amazing and really embrace the Moroccan culture and design. From the Orange trees on the terrace to the mosaic tiled walls. The bedroom was beautiful and large. With marble flooring and a little enclosed balcony. The housekeeping staff really made sure the rooms were spotless and in the evening also provide fresh towels with a smile which I think is a lovely touch. Thank you housekeeping.

Having said earlier I had a Hamman and the spa is beautiful. The lady really took care of me and made the whole relaxation experience run smoothly. I would suggest trying out the spa if you have time!

I have been to the rooftop restaurant before and had such an amazing experience that I knew the food was super! Especially the huge variety of Moroccan salads. I recall the restaurant manager Said who is an asset to the restaurant. He is very professional always with a smile and continues to make sure every guest feels welcomed and has a great experience. That is also said about the restaurant staff. The waitress (who I do not have her name but has long hair) really took care of me and ensured to explain how the dishes are made and even took time to explain how to make them myself in UK! Which I thought was sweet. This was my second time and I have to say the experience was just as good and so were the restaurant staff!

To conclude the Palais Faraj was a perfect stay to a perfect ending to my Moroccan trip. The service from start to finish was amazing, the bedroom luxurious and the food was just super! What makes this hotel stand out is the service provided by the staff. Yes, the overall appearance of the hotel makes you gasp in excitement the views from the terrace just divine, but the staff really make an effort for you to enjoy your stay. I would definitely recommend the hotel without doubt and hope to return one day to this magical hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as part of an A&K tour for 3 nights. We were in room 9. The hotel/Riad is beautiful. It’s located at the top of a hill so the view overlooking the Medina is beautiful. We had a sitting room in addition to the bedroom and 2 bathrooms (1 was a powder room). The bed was very comfortable. We were able to hear the early morning call to prayer every day. The daily breakfast buffet was very nice - it includes hot food too. We had dinner two out of the 3 nights in the hotel - it was average. It was very nice being able to sit outside when it was raining in the outer covered perimeter of the inner courtyard. The tile work throughout the hotel is magnificent.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2018

We had a suite for 3 of us. It was fabulously well appointed, spacious, lovely furniture and fittings and comfortable beds. The restaurant was also very good. Most of the staff were charming and very helpful, especially the front desk manager. There were a few little glitches though. The live music in the bar was so loud conversation was impossible, the pool area was mostly in shade (possibly due to the time of year) and unheated, although beautifully set. The spa was also beautiful but one therapist was great and the other provided a very inferior service. We think she may have had a problem with massaging a young, attractive male! Finally the guide the hotel arranged charged us far more that the hotel had told us and demanded we pay him at the end of the tour. Fortunately the hotel manager reimbursed us and asked the guide's boss to send him back with the money, including that which he owed to the hotel!

Room tip: Room 23 was lovely
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
palaisfaraj, Directeur général at Palais Faraj Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Madam, Sir, thank you for your compliments and comments. We listen carefully to all critics and work hard on improving. Your comment is helpful to us. We hope to welcome you again, yours truly, Albrecht Jerrentrup, general manager of Palais Faraj