“Kasbah of Algiers”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 1,824.18*
and up
Multi Day Circuit To Discover the Cultural Sites...
Ranked #5 of 37 things to do in Algiers
More attraction details
Owner description: The upper old part of Algiers has interesting Moorish houses, minarets and old citadel.
Reviewed 8 January 2018

This was an amazing Friday Morning walk. I’m not the photographer type. I don’t like to disturb the local people with my tiny camera. However, on this occasion I could not stop taking photos of every corner of the Cashba. Partially demolished buildings, narrow labyrinthine passages, climbing stairs, children playing, hidden silversmithing shops, markets and lots of dirt. The experience of the unexpected!

Date of experience: January 2018
"mausoleum"
"facebook"
"souks"

Reviewed 21 December 2017

This magical and mysterious setting of Algiers Casbah, this history-filled is well worth the detour and possibly even more. You need a guide to appreciate the place

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed 14 December 2017

Nice area to visit I highly recommend to do this tour with a guide. there is a lot of history to know about this place. Try to be there early to finish early too as all normal you should expect a lot of people. Don't bring to expensive items the area is in the downtown.

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed 3 December 2017

Truly amazing, working Casbah-- the original "Casbah" of the Muslim world, I was told. Either way, totally cool to walk around. We had a tour guide through Fancy Algeria Travel, Omar-- which definitely made it more enlightening. Recommended!

Date of experience: August 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 October 2017

I fell in love with the Casbah, a UNESCO World Heritage site, two years ago. Since my last visit there was short, my sister-in-law arranged for a tour with a dynamic young lady named Kenza, whose grandmother had lived in the Casbah. Find her on Facebook under: Djawla 3assimiya . Kenza started her presentation with a comprehensive talk in French about life in the Casbah, which she then patiently translated to English for me. She was a well of little tidbits, lure and stories of the old Casbah, which she conveyed to our group of about 20 people (and me in English) as we climbed down the steep steps to see various houses of significance, the remaining fountains, fabulous doors and beautiful tile mosaics in the walls. We visited the small Museum of the Battle of Algiers, which is placed in the location of the bombed house where several major revolutionaries were killed. From there we climbed up to an adorable patio cafe for lunch (part of the tour). They served authentic Algerian appetizer dips with warm bread, fresh grilled spicy sardines and French fries. It was a simple yet absolutely wonderful meal. Kenza bounced around making sure everyone had everything. The views across the lower Casbah and the Mediterranean were amazing. After lunch we peeked into several artisan shops, admiring handmade shoes, silver items, jewelry and, my favorite, a tiny shop filled with the cutest pottery created and hand painted by the owner named Bahia. Kenza also took us to a Museum where we could see how the houses look inside, with the rooms arranged around an inner court yard. There were also exhibits of traditional clothing, furniture and jewelry. It was a great tour, I can highly recommend it provided you are reasonably fit to navigate lots of uneven, often high stairs and cobble stones. Wear comfortable shoes!

Date of experience: September 2017