Book In Advance
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Algiers
All reviews narrow streets be careful local guide pick pockets felt safe day tour fell in love old city my sister in law under renovation artisan battle tourists souks jewelry doors voyage
Reviewed 4 October 2017

I fell in love with the Casbah, a UNESCO World Heritage site, two years ago. Since my last visit there was short, my sister-in-law arranged for a tour with a dynamic young lady named Kenza, whose grandmother had lived in the Casbah. Find her on Facebook under: Djawla 3assimiya . Kenza started her presentation with a comprehensive talk in French about life in the Casbah, which she then patiently translated to English for me. She was a well of little tidbits, lure and stories of the old Casbah, which she conveyed to our group of about 20 people (and me in English) as we climbed down the steep steps to see various houses of significance, the remaining fountains, fabulous doors and beautiful tile mosaics in the walls. We visited the small Museum of the Battle of Algiers, which is placed in the location of the bombed house where several major revolutionaries were killed. From there we climbed up to an adorable patio cafe for lunch (part of the tour). They served authentic Algerian appetizer dips with warm bread, fresh grilled spicy sardines and French fries. It was a simple yet absolutely wonderful meal. Kenza bounced around making sure everyone had everything. The views across the lower Casbah and the Mediterranean were amazing. After lunch we peeked into several artisan shops, admiring handmade shoes, silver items, jewelry and, my favorite, a tiny shop filled with the cutest pottery created and hand painted by the owner named Bahia. Kenza also took us to a Museum where we could see how the houses look inside, with the rooms arranged around an inner court yard. There were also exhibits of traditional clothing, furniture and jewelry. It was a great tour, I can highly recommend it provided you are reasonably fit to navigate lots of uneven, often high stairs and cobble stones. Wear comfortable shoes!

1  Thank Hexy
Reviewed 3 October 2017

No comparison with the casbahs and souks of Morocco for visual interest. Everyone warned against pick-pockets and we saw them everywhere from the centre of town near the Grand Poste (one of the few historic buildings under renovation) to the alleys of the Casbah, but were with a local. We were shown the old Dar close to the entrance beneath the old walls. The rest was falling apart and filthy. People just leave their trash and plastic bottles in any vacant corner and it is sure piling up.

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Without a guide this is just another kasbah. But with a guide it tells you all of the history of this great city. In both ways it is very safe and the people are friendly and in for a chat. Try to have yourself invited to enter the houses because some are incredibly decorated. Others will offer you spectacular views from the rooftop terraces.

1  Thank Walter_Oostelbos
Reviewed 23 September 2017

Travelers beware! We done a day tour of Algiers through FRS in Tarifa Spain. The trip started from the port of Algiers, where we then went through the old & new towns to go and see the camels! The ride was literally 2 mins on the camel and cost 2 euros, whilst out of earshot from the guide, the camel owner basically begged for tips! Mmmmm not a good start! After very brief ride we boarded the minibus to go to the market place, where I saw the guide being handed his share from the camel rides. From that point on I knew what to expect! (Rip off the tourist time). The market place was bustling and very aromatic and again short! From there we went to the Kasbah! And taken into a carpet shop and spice shop ( guide told me this was obligatory) . Inside the Carpet shop 2 people from our group bought small carpets at a ridiculous price and the same in the spice shop! Where once again I saw the guide receive his back hander! From the we were guided through the extremely run down and stinking Kasbah! And constantly accosted by beggars and people trying to sell us replica goods. This was a very well orchestrated rip off tour! and a real eye opener. It's a shame because the buildings and architecture are stunning but not worth being scammed for. If you do go, make sure it's not an official guided tour, but with someone you know and trust that has been there and knows the place.

4  Thank Dean G
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

The Kasbah is an awesome place to learn about the history of Algiers and Algeria, which cannot be grasped without a serious discussion of the political situation throughout the times. This means a guide is essential, without a guide it's just old streets and dilapidated houses.

4  Thank Linda D