“Good from but far from good ”

Tantra Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #8 of 361 Restaurants in Algiers
Price range: US$ 40 - US$ 45
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

The first impression was quit interesting and although the entire design doesn’t match at all it however provides a positive ambiance.

The service is arrogant and roughly mannered. The food was literally thrown onto the table without a touch of finesse. Lack of supervision seemed to be one of the reasons plus a proper training for sure, no clue. The wine server was hitting the wine glas that I was afraid it will crack.

The menu seemed promising however none of the courses met our expectations. The presentation of the pulpo carpaccio was poor, still frozen and too much pink pepper, the flavor of the tomato sorbet lacked on acidity and created a total imbalanced experience.

The steak was good, although not very tender, instead of morel mushroom sauce as mentioned on the menu we received it with a cepe mushroom sauce. Good, however when asking the waiter for clarification, he didn’t say anything, he run off, came back with more of the same sauce, French fries and vegetables.

The dessert wasn’t the top either and the mint tea was served Luke warm.

After such a below average experience I would probably not recommend the restaurant to anyone who cares for a friendly and attentive service. The three of us where shaking our heads not understanding how people accept such terrible treatment because the place was obviously busy.

Date of visit: November 2018
Kamal O, Owner at Tantra Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I am flattered that you compare Tantra to the top of European establishments. I apologise that we did not live up to your expectations. Agreed, we are currently out of morel mushrooms and substituted with cepes. Neither are available in Algiers and I am currently in Europe replenishing my stock.

I will overview my staff training procedures and speak with management regarding their supervision. Thank you for bring this to my attention.

If you would like to get in touch to discuss your experience further, I would be happy to hear from you.

Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

Visiting Tantra used to be a pleasure.... Not that much now. Tantra was always a reference in the Algerien restaurant scene. Trendy sophisticated with one of the best Magret de Canard I've ever tasted. The night was inviting to a stay on the lovely terrace . Nice deco nice fashion people.... Well and the good things end up here. Service was slow and messy. Took more than 45 min for each course. With wine served with no cooling and left alone the entire evening. There was no meat available though it was on the menus so we were oubliged to take fish.

Absurdly expensive for the quality it's presenting right now.

Date of visit: September 2018
2  Thank miguelmpereira

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your previous visits and sorry that we were unable to met your expectations on this occasion. I apologise that I was not on hand that night to ensure your experience was more in keeping with your previous visits. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to leave you with a better impression in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

We had grilled grouper served with grilled prawn and a lightly creamed black truffle sauce which gave it a surf and turf kind of twist. Very tasty, well presented and good sized portion (which is often not the case in other restaurants). Starters are nice and fresh and local, with good bread. Good service. Nice settings. What else do you need?

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Fox_travelling

Thank you forsaking the time to write a review. We are always happy to hear that our guests have enjoyed their time with us. We strive to met all of our customers' expectations.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is located on top of a hill where surrounding has amazing views and also many facilities for leisure. They serve mainly seafood but the menu has everything for many choices. I recommend to make reservation definitely and the place is fine dining for all tastes.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Laquila

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Tantra Algiers. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience and would recommend it to others.

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

We had a large group dinner here and I was amazed at the speed and quality of the food for such a large group. I had the salmon and it was delicious.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Explorior
Kamal O, Owner at Tantra Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Glad that you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.f