“Excellent traditional food”

Ranked #2 of 362 Restaurants in Algiers
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2018

I came here with our local distributor and - as expected - they brought us in a great place.Excellent tajines and couscous (I got a Mechoui couscous, excellent, well cooked,bouillon tasty and prepared with high quality vegetables). Tasty appetizer with olives and carrots prepared with local spices and good bread. Couple of entrees nicely prepared and with the right balance of flavors. Local Grenache wine quite good, actually. Unfortunately we had no room for dessert but only for a mint tea. Professional staff, perhaps bit of more smile would not hurt, without losing the "tone" of a high level place (old Palace finely refurbished and with authentic decor)

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank pietrol_11

Reviewed 19 September 2018

I had arranged for a booking at El Djenina Restaurant for several reasons one of which was a family reunion in my hometown Algiers that doesn’t happen often to say the least…
So, a nice setting, quality service, and quality traditional dishes were a must!

The lady I talked to at 7:00 am in the morning a week before my departure as I live in Canada was very nice and accommodating over the phone…I had asked for a table with a view of the Bay. Needless to say, Algiers Bay is gorgeous and famous…

A week later we (my two siblings, and my parents) were onsite for dinner. We had dressed up and were very happy to be together….

First disappointment the view: there was no such thing as a view of the Bay it was a tiny little opening between buildings, you had to look a little hard to see it….

Second disappointment the food: we had ordered with my mother and my sister the Bastela which is a very nice dish with subtle flavors … one of my favorites. What the three of us got was some kind of a square brick filled with meat and chicken and god knows what...and it all tasted like old burned oil….
As it turned out my sister and I were the ones to order the worst dishes through it all …
I ordered the dessert “M’halbi” and got a small glass that looked a bit like a “trendy glass” for tea… This dish is usually made out of ground/milled rice but it was grossly ground and was not well cooked….

My sister ordered a sorbet and got what we call a creponnet…

Please note I am a local from Algiers, I know exactly how these foods should taste like….

Dear reader, you figured by this time we transitioned from a state of disappointment to derision and laughter….

Third disappointment the service: by the time we were done with the main course there was this waiter who came to “clean” the table just on dad’s side pushing a few breadcrumbs toward his hand with a knife …I’ve never seen that before …that made me a little nervous as dad used to run big hotels and is known for making a scene or just leaving when the service or the food is of such poor quality…

Oh and we had asked for the dessert menu and the waiter disappeared...only to come back 15mn later to announce there was no dessert menu and told us what was available

In the end, we were very disappointed but had a good laugh…

The only plus was the architecture as this is a heritage building and it gives a good idea of the various cultures and influences in my hometown.

To summarise not worth your time and money...

A very disappointed customer

Sep 2018

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Nihad K
Reviewed 7 August 2018

Cosy atmosphere in this place without the restaurant being small. They serve great algerian cuisine and I couldn't help but go back the following day. Upon arrival you are welcomed with an appetiser of bread, tasty local olives and flavorful spicy (not hot) carrots. What followed as a main was music in my mouth. I am not sure that I'll ever taste a tagine like that one again. I was offered dessert but I declined as my stomach couldn't take anymore.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Very tasteful Algerian traditional meals... very nice historical building... well located... professional management...

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 7 May 2018

I felt bad that I didn't really enjoy this restaurant as I had read other reviews and was hoping for the just about the best place in Algiers to have local cuisine. I like high-end restaurants and have travelled extensively so am familiar with North African food and the expectations that come with a high Trip Advisor rating. Alas the food was average-to-good, but not so special that I felt I couldn't whip it up in my own kitchen without much help (and I am no cordon bleu chef!) plus for a near-empty restaurant (when I arrived) it was oddly slow to serve. But then I was raced through - after ordering my starter arrived frighteningly quickly (how did they cook that from scratch so fast? hmmmm) same with my main, served instantly after the starter despite my asking for a break.

Was disappointed that they didn't take cards - they said I was on the menu so I accept this could be my fault, but for a high-end restaurant that was really surprising and I had to pay in dollars.

Strong Positives are the broad menu of local dishes and the charming and helpful hostess/manager (?) who was really very good. The local seemed to imply this was one of, if not the best restaurant around, so perhaps I am busy fussy as there is not much to pick from.

Do I recommend going?,,,,,, Yes. I do.
This is most certainly not a bad restaurant, no way, just don't set your expectations so high as other reviews have set, then you wont feel let down as I did.

Date of visit: May 2018