New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Comfort Inn Ankeny

Comfort Inn Ankeny
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Ankeny
Mason City, Iowa
“Average - Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I rented a King Suite. Pretty much like another review said, ripped out a shower tub, put up a wall, and slapped a tub on the other side - facing the bed. Water leak spots on the ceiling in the bathroom, Mold in a picture hanging on the wall????????? Interesting? Someone is trying to fix up the place, but taking many shortcuts and not finishing the work. Greeting at the front desk was OK. When asking for extra towels (very small and thin) we got a response like we were inconviencing them. It's not like the place was packed with overnight guests. We missed the continental breakfast, so can't comment on that. Upon check-out there was no "Thank you" for staying. We do not plan on returning - pretty disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
montrose iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed on a weeknight ,wasn't loud. Older hotel and will be needing some work in the future. air conditioner leaked water into the carpet,could explain the the weak spots in the flooring. Nice pool for the kids, water was treated well and didn't smell like a chlorine factory which is a bad sign if you didn't know. The breakfast bar in the morning was great i thought,with eggs gravy and bisquits and all your other usual breakfast items. Alot of dinners nearby is also a plus.And its right of the interstate which is good. Just need to put some money into fixing it back up or it will quicky become one I would want to avoid.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

I stayed at this Comfort Inn for 12 hours after looking for something less expensive, having stayed in several others nearby previously. At $94, it was overpriced, but relatively clean and quiet. No elevator, no ice machine on second floor, wimpy towels, but a pool for kids and breakfast. Had to ask for "scrambled" egg refill, which was scantily replenished. Manager hovered somewhat in dining area, which was a little strange. Could use updating, but for my purposes, it was OK. Not sure I would do it again though.

Room Tip: King room on second floor was fairly large
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dakota City, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

Our room had mold on the outside walls, the carpet was stained, the curtains were dirty. The door did not fit the jam and there was a huge gap at the bottom. The hallway was dingy and the floors were soft, like you'd fall through them. The bed linens felt dirty and the bathroom looked like it needed a thorough cleaning. I did not sleep well as I was completely uncomfortable in a dirty room. Gentleman at check-in was not helpful and didn't want to end his personal conversation on his cell phone to check us in. We will not stay there again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
Danville, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

My family and I stayed in this hotel for the weekend because my daughter had a volleyball tournament in Ankeny. We checked out Sunday morning and headed to our final day of volleyball and were then gonna head home. When I arrived at the tournament my daughter asked me where her purse was and it was then that I remembered I had left it under the dresser at the hotel. (my bad) I quickly called the hotel to ask the lady at the front desk if she could run to our room and get it and I would stop by on our way home and pick it up. She said she would and then would give us a call back. She informed us that they were in the process of cleaning that room so it should not be a problem as there was no one in that room yet. She called us a back a few minutes later to inform us that the purse was not there!! Now, I know for sure that, that purse was under that dresser all weekend because I personally picked that purse up off the bed and placed it there because I knew my daughter would not need it all weekend as she was there to play ball, not shop. Had I not personally put it there myself I would of just assumed that my daughter was being irresponsible and left it sit somewhere and would of probably scolded her for not taking care of her stuff but since I put it there I know exactly where that purse was sitting. We decided after the tournament to stop by the hotel anyway and check that room ourselves and when I got there I was informed that I could not go check because someone had already rented that room. Someone in that hotel has my daughters purse and is just being dishonest. If you decide to stay here my advice to you would be to take all your belongings with you if you decide to leave the room. I hope whoever has taken her purse is enjoying my daughters things and can sleep well at night.

Room Tip: Stay at the hotel next door
Stayed April 2011, travelled with family