“Dutch Baby Apple Soufflé ”

The Original Pancake House
Ranked #42 of 159 Restaurants in Ankeny
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Never had time to wait for this before, and on this day we did so we ordered one at about 130 in the afternoon and had time to wait the 45 minutes it takes to cook from scratch. They have very small glasses, so we were each able to have about five glasses of diet Mountain Dew while we waited. There was an odd smell in our booth like the cleaning cloth was sour when last it was wiped. The Dutch baby was OK, very sugary even without sugar. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would go back but not for that desk.

1  Thank Guitarjess

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

You will find the traditional items but try the specialties. You will enjoy them. Food and services are worth the trip.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

I was a little skeptical when I first sat down. All the waitresses were huddled in the entrance to the kitchen. But things quickly turned around. My order was taken and my food was prepared and delivered to my table in a what seemed like a couple of minutes. Make sure you go with a large appetite. Lots of food as you can see in my photo

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Thank you for providing such a fantastic restaurant for breakfast food. The owner was extremely friendly and offered up a new dish for free he was testing for our son to try. The food was amazing and there was no long wait to enjoy it. My one suggestion would be to keep the entry door locked by the main dining area to keep the customers comfortable. Your other door location by the restrooms is a great entry location.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

No wait at 10:15 am on a Saturday & were quickly seated. Drink order was taken right away but not brought for about 15 minutes. Very nice waitress but she had too many tables & was stressed. Between 5 people we tried 4 kinds of pancakes and they were all good. My only complaint is there is no protein on the plate- you don't get any bacon or sausage or eggs unless you order them as sides. For $9 per plate of pancakes, that's pretty steep to not get any protein. My pecan pancakes were ok-but they came with a strange lemon syrup that didn't seem to go with them. The pigs in a blanket ones were amazing. Our bill for 4 plates of pancakes and 5 drinks was about $70, which seems very very high to me. We might go back to try a Dutch Baby sometime.