“Out of Towners Looking for Something Different, Here it IS.”

Dublin Bay Irish Pub & Grill
Ranked #5 of 195 Restaurants in Ames
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 22
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: For the Irish, a Pub is far more than a bar… a Pub is a community gathering place – an overgrown “family room” where members of the neighborhood meet to share the latest news, laugh, and ofttimes solve the world’s problems. At an Irish Pub, the idea of being a “regular” is, well, a bit of a lunacy… one can no more be a regular in a Pub than a regular in one’s own home! For the Irish, the Pub is a home – not for its beer, or stout, or libations, but for its environment of family… comfort… and safety from the stormy rains that grow the Irish countryside emerald green in grass and clover. For a traveler, the attraction of the Pub is the Irish philosophy that there are no strangers, but rather friends not yet met. To enter a Pub is to drop by a friend’s home… the greeting is warm and genuine, the service is gracious, the experience is relaxing and fun.
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I meet with a group of men every other week for lunch. Due to the proximity to St Patrick's Day, we chose Dublin Bay. I have always liked this place. The problem is I never think about it. Too bad. It is always very good.

Ames has a lot of good restaurants. If you are from out of town and are looking for something a little different, here it is. As the name implies, it leans heavy to an Irish menu (though it has plenty else to offer). The food is very unique to Ames and it is always very good. Good portions and a friendly wait staff that stays on top of things. Plenty of bottle and tap beers from Ireland and Great Britain, along with a lot of the usual suspects.

The decor is what I imagine an Irish pub might be like. It is dark, yet it has a homey feel. There is also an outside patio when the weather is nice.

I have written plenty of reviews for Tripadvisor over the years but this is the first time I have felt inclined to review a restaurant in my own backyard. I feel that strongly about Dublin Bay. Give it a try.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

This is a truly unique irish Pub with authentic Irish fare or a great cheeseburger-great for small gatherings.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We had our daugher's graduation party there, in a blinding snow storm - the people were so accomodating. The food is great!

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Dublin Bay has zoomed to the top of our list of places to eat in Ames. The Irish theme and food is unique. Great food and service

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Been to Ames many times, but haven't been to Dublin Bay before until this last weekend. The outside of the building looks very dark and I wasn't sure if it was a functioning restaurant or not on earlier drive by this building, however, it is alive and going strong inside. I had the Jerk Ahi Tuna and it was not very spicy (I could have used a bit more), but I won't complain as it was luscious. There were five people in our party, we all ordered different items and each of us loved them! We will definitely be back soon.