“This place is a dump.”
Review of Super 8 Ames

Super 8 Ames
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Foyer had same dried clumps of dirt in it when I entered at 5 pm Monday and exited 7:30 am Tuesday. Duct tape holding down carpet where it met tile of the bathroom. Place smelled like cigarettes. Filthy. Wouldn't dream of eating breakfast at the pathetic cereal-bar they've got set up near registration.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank IowaCityJulie
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 June 2010

This was perhaps the worst stay in a motel i have ever had in my life! We checked in about 8 pm after traveling for 4 hours. Immediately from the outside the motel appeared old and uncared for. Checking in the desk was easy, although the foreign nationality desk worker was hard to understand. We were placed in room 201 next to the stair well.

Upon opening the door one nearly gagged from the smell. This hotel was likely a completely smoking hotel at one time. However due to city ordinances was forced non-smoking. However, they never cleaned the smell from the room just reclassified it. To simply describe the smell, it was a cross between strong musk and the smell of cat pee. The floors were sticky, and for the first time while staying in motels I wouldn't walk in the room without my shoes on. At least somewhat of a saving grace was that you could open the windows which helped the smell some. However we both contemplated sleeping in our car or booking a different room at a different motel.

When checking out the next morning we complained about the smell to the front desk. The worker had nothing to say other than sighing and grunting. Obviously they are aware of the problem but the foreign ownership will not fix the problem.

We will NEVER stay at this motel again. The sad thing is that we've stayed in other Super 8 motels and have great times. This one stay may have soured our opinion of all Super 8 chain motels and could prevent us from staying at others in the future.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank duker3100
Reviewed 10 January 2010

I read these reviews and recalled staying here a few years back. The rooms were unclean so it is no surprise there were bed bugs recently.

I thought I forgot my credit card at front desk and came back after I checked out and nicely asked the clerk and she stated (with cigarette in mouth)-"WHAT!!?? YOU ACCUSING ME OF BEING A THIEF?"

This is one of the most DISGUSTING hotels--not recommeded at all.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank chmww
Reviewed 19 November 2009

No breakfast bar, no luxury at all. The hotel stands in a lot adjacent to numerous other hotels - a Hampton Inn, and a Country and Suites, for instance. All of them are better. The coffee pot was not replaced ready for my second morning.....and the ants crawling behind the TV unit were the final straw. Avoid.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank davidparrock
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We stayed at the Super 8 hotel during the Iowa State summer commencement weekend. Although the staff was friendly the rooms were gross. I am not for sure if the property was flooded but the rooms smelled like they were. My husband and I were both bitten by some sort of bugs in the bed. We had them all over our bodies. I even had one on my face which made for disappointing graduation pictures. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Don't stay here unless you like bug bites!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business